Headphones

I'm jumping on the bandwagon too and would also highly recommend the Vic Firth stereo isolation headphones. I have a pair used for recording/practicing alone and also with my band and they work brilliantly. Plus as far as money goes they aren't all that expensive.

I just got a pair of Philips noise reduction headphones. They cost about $40 from a CD shop and theyre not specifically designed for drumming but after trying them whilst playing they work really well, you can hear just the right amount of kit and everything inside the headphones too.

A lot of the active noise reduction headphones designed for listening to a cd or mp3 player are just as good as ones designed specifically for drummers. -and a fair bit cheaper too. But I wouldn't suggest going for something that doesn't have noise reduction, especially if youre a loud player because you'll just want to turn everything up to full volume.

For headphones: Sennheiser HD-280 Pro (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Professional/dp/B000065BPB)

If you wanna spend more money and looks are really important, then check out these custom mold IEM:

Fidelity Custom Earphones (http://www.fidelitycustomearphones.com/) - formeverly LiveWires. lots and lots of good things said about their product and customer service on headphone forums and reviews. Don't confuse them with their old company, LiveWires (now based out of California) which has gotten not-so-good reviews; especially customer service.

I own the HD-280 Pro headphones and they're amazing. They're just about audiophile quality and they isolate REALLY, really well. Just as good as the Vic Firths, except they don't sound like garbage. Highly recommend them.

I use Audio-Technica ATHANC7. I love them. The best sound-isolating headphones I've ever used.

I'm no expert and I haven't used that many, but I used to own the Vic Virth headphones and the Audio-Technicas are far superior. Mostly in terms of ruggedness and comfort. I don't recall ever having problems with the sound quality of the Vic Virth headphones. Unfortunately, the cheap wire headband broke on me after using it for about 6 months.

Picked up these Audio-Technicas and I've been a happy camper ever since.

You can also get the Vic's without the jack and use earbuds as has already been mentioned. The non-jack version of the Vics is even cheaper but the noise reduction is there. I've tried two different noise cancelling units and they are ok but not as durable as the Vics.

Uber cheap option and I've used this myself on a couple of occasions,

£1.50 ear defenders off ebay,
regular in ear headphones,

Surprisingly it works and is quite comfy, doesn't kill the ears either.

I've just started out with playing over samples with my band. I need a pair of headphones where i will be able to hear the sample along with the band in a live situation, and really clear at that. What do you guys suggest?

Hmm... old thread and you probably already purchased something. i decided to change to Custom fitted JH Audio model 13PRO. You can get them with 'port' for hearing outside sounds too. Warning, they are not cheap tho :(

For headphones: Sennheiser HD-280 Pro (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Professional/dp/B000065BPB)

If you wanna spend more money and looks are really important, then check out these custom mold IEM:

Fidelity Custom Earphones (http://www.fidelitycustomearphones.com/) - formeverly LiveWires. lots and lots of good things said about their product and customer service on headphone forums and reviews. Don't confuse them with their old company, LiveWires (now based out of California) which has gotten not-so-good reviews; especially customer service.

I own the HD-280 Pro headphones and they're amazing. They're just about audiophile quality and they isolate REALLY, really well. Just as good as the Vic Firths, except they don't sound like garbage. Highly recommend them.

The HD-280 Pro is what i scored. Thanks for all the reccos.

If you don't mind spending £280 (~$400?) [yeah right] then Dr Dre Monster Beats are pretty awesome. They're not really designed for rock or jazz, which I assume is what your playing, however they sound great playing anything. If you happen to like a wider range of music such as dubstep, or drum and bass, then the Beats are unbeatable (if you'll pardon the pun). The comfiest headphones you'll ever wear too, I have never ever ever taken them off because they felt uncomfortable.

*1 e-cookie for whoever knows where 'if you'll pardon the pun' is a quote from.

If you don't mind spending £280 (~$400?) [yeah right] then Dr Dre Monster Beats are pretty awesome. They're not really designed for rock or jazz, which I assume is what your playing, however they sound great playing anything. If you happen to like a wider range of music such as dubstep, or drum and bass, then the Beats are unbeatable (if you'll pardon the pun). The comfiest headphones you'll ever wear too, I have never ever ever taken them off because they felt uncomfortable.

*1 e-cookie for whoever knows where 'if you'll pardon the pun' is a quote from.

Right around $300 everywhere I've seen them, and yes, they do sound like $300 headphone! Very impressed.

Back