Being dragged out of the 60's

If you wait 5 or so years there is bound to be another Doors, Beatles, or Beach Boy resurgence.

Jim,
Would you mind listing some more of the songs you're doing? I checked out those that you listed on iTunes and actually like much of what I heard.

Mitch

Mitch:

Here is the list that they gave me to learn. We have rehearsed 20 of these songs already. Kind of a diverse list of songs. But they want to be able to play in several kinds of places for different kinds of audiences.

The name of our band is the Chronic Snobs. The list is here: http://youtu.be/H_pRyMShJ0k?list=PLT_H4_CYAXo19qlZ3Z33prxi-vkZZHcpm

Mitch:

Here is the list that they gave me to learn. We have rehearsed 20 of these songs already. Kind of a diverse list of songs. But they want to be able to play in several kinds of places for different kinds of audiences.

The name of our band is the Chronic Snobs. The list is here: http://youtu.be/H_pRyMShJ0k?list=PLT_H4_CYAXo19qlZ3Z33prxi-vkZZHcpm

Appreciate it, Jim. Thank you very much.

My guitar player told me that he can really tell that I'm well connected with the current music scene.

I don't think I'm going to tell him about out little inter-web organization we have here. ;-)

If you wait 5 or so years there is bound to be another Doors, Beatles, or Beach Boy resurgence.

I find it interesting/refreshing/comfortable that '60s & '70s rock has never really gone away. There's a list of "party rock" songs that seem to be universally popular with adults and kids alike: Wooly Booly, Honky Tonk Woman, Brown Eyed Girl, etc.

There's got to be a time when newer "classic" songs will creep in, Nirvana, Green Day, etc and their songbooks will be required for bands that want to work. Some of it is already here, but the Kinks, Animals, Stones, Beatles, Beach Boys, Paul Revere & Raiders, Monkees, Cream, etc etc still hang in there.

Bermuda

I find it interesting/refreshing/comfortable that '60s & '70s rock has never really gone away. There's a list of "party rock" songs that seem to be universally popular with adults and kids alike: Wooly Booly, Honky Tonk Woman, Brown Eyed Girl, etc.

There's got to be a time when newer "classic" songs will creep in, Nirvana, Green Day, etc and their songbooks will be required for bands that want to work. Some of it is already here, but the Kinks, Animals, Stones, Beatles, Beach Boys, Paul Revere & Raiders, Monkees, Cream, etc etc still hang in there.

Bermuda

Bermuda, your post reminded me of a past conversation. I don't mean to hijack this thread. My son is 24 years old. Several years ago we were driving along, talking. It dawned on me that my high school days of the 70's must be as distant a time to him as the 1940's (my parents time) was to me. That seemed ancient! I told him this and asked him, "So, do the 1970'S seem as long ago to you guys as the 40's was to us?"

He answered, yes, he thought so, but he said there's one big difference. He looked at me and said "I don't think many of you spent much time listening to your parents music - we listen to yours all the time! You guys played GREAT music!"

Made me a little proud. :)

Bermuda, your post reminded me of a past conversation. I don't mean to hijack this thread. My son is 24 years old. Several years ago we were driving along, talking. It dawned on me that my high school days of the 70's must be as distant a time to him as the 1940's (my parents time) was to me. That seemed ancient! I told him this and asked him, "So, do the 1970'S seem as long ago to you guys as the 40's was to us?"

He answered, yes, he thought so, but he said there's one big difference. He looked at me and said "I don't think many of you spent much time listening to your parents music - we listen to yours all the time! You guys played GREAT music!"

Yep, there's a lot more in common musically and culturally between kids and their parents today, than there was when I was a kid. I guess that's why the kids have a genuine appreciation for "oldies", and why bands playing oldies and classic rock continue to work.

Even as musically open as I was as a kid in the '60s, I had no appreciation or tolerance for music from the '20s or '30s. Exception - I did like Gene Krupa, but that was about the drumming, not the music.

Bermuda

Last edited:
The Lit tune, Worst Enemy, is a super duper tune as far as I am concerned. It's real fun to play...love that one. I think you will really enjoy this "newer" stuff over time and find your comfort zone...

One thing I find....and some might not agree with me, that's fine....the drumming on a lot of the modern rock is good, yes, but then go back and listen to Joe Vitale (I think that was Joe V) on Rocky Mountain Way....and that shit is a masterpiece. That is a huge juicy 6/8 with minimal but delicious fills and a pocket that is like the Grand Canyon. Space in the track and drum tones....dynamics.

So, I do enjoy newer stuff and there is certainly good drummers there, but to me it does not approach the greatness in feel and dynamic of the real classic rock.

And go listen to Artimus on the live album.....Giminy cricket that guy was blasting on all cylinders...such greatness on that recording.

Enjoy the new stuff but dont get depressed when ya go back and get back to the masters....

I live near a high school, and I'm amazed how many times I'll see kids wearing a Pink Floyd, or Zep or Doors t-shirts.

I live near a high school, and I'm amazed how many times I'll see kids wearing a Pink Floyd, or Zep or Doors t-shirts.

Yep, when I was in high school in the early '70s, we weren't wearing Glenn Miller, Bing Crosby, or Tommy Dorsey t-shirts!

People growing up anytime in the nearly 60-year-old rock era definitely have a lot in common with each other musically.

Bermuda

It is funny when I was playing in bands in the late 70s and early 80s we were playing music that was fairly new, within 10-15 years. Some Cream and Beatles but a lot of very fresh music. We weren't playing 50s music. Not I am still playing tunes from roughly the same era with some newer stuff added in. And I do see a wide range of ages listening to our stuff.

Maybe our fellow drummers that play metal may disagree with this. Do you metal drummers see a wide range of people listening to your bands?

Back