Why DW is one of the best forum sites on the webz...

Yeah, my story: When I first joined, I was a complete idiot and an ignorant fool, to keep it clean. I've read some of my old posts recently, and man! I was saying/doing the exact opposite of what I recommend now! It's amazing. For example, one of my oldest threads was me showing off a Pearl Export/805 hybrid kit (I'm sure lots of you remember that) with ZBT and PST 3 cymbals, and I thought it looked so cool, just because it was really big. If someone posted that now, I would tell them it was the ugliest piece of crap in the world. But no...you guys were helpful and respectful, and even though I was totally stupid, no one was mean; everyone tried to help me in a nice way, with constructive criticism and such. And I thank you for it, because now I can pass on the gift on knowledge (now it's starting to sound cliche'...) to newer members.

That was one of my favorite moments on here. Knowing that stuff I (and plenty of others) say on here actually makes a difference to drummers is pretty awesome. It is one of the reasons I tend to write so many long posts if I think they will help people out. It's worth it on here. And trust me, it's not just a one-way street. A few months ago, I was reading a thread where a lot of people were pointing out how important it is to have a relaxed grip. Duh, I know that, I agree, heck, I might have even commented on it myself. That night, I got to my gig, and two songs in just happened to notice that I had completely let my grip get very tight...I no longer used a relaxed grip myself any more! I know better than that, but it took a reminder from DW to get me to notice that I was gripping so hard. I started working on relaxing my grip again, and my playing has become more fluid than ever. HUGE help.

I usually hate other drummers, because in person, it seems everyone is out to compare (negatively), or argue with, or exert their supremecy. Here, it's just good conversation.

Truth be told, I googled "drumming videos" and found this site. I was on for 3 months before I even knew a forum existed! I never considered joining a forum at all. I just lurked about gleaning from other drummers' experience for a while. Then, after a few weeks I felt comfortable enough to join. Showed off some gear and whatnot. Now like LarryAce (thanks for the shoutout BTW) I start my day with DW. Being that I am just a hobby drummer, 90% of my drum/music conversation occurs here. It's indespensable to me.

The reason the site is so good is because of two factors: the culture and the members. The culture, which is welcoming, accomodating, inclusive, informative, and global is a result of Bernhard's vision and the work of him and Dogbreath and Nutha Jason. The continuation of the culture is a result of the members - young, old, new, experienced. pro, hobbiest - all equals.

Back