First gig in 2.5 years!

So I get a text yesterday from the bassist, gig next month on the 11th. We haven't played out since February 2013. Band personnel issues, my "business" trips and the like have not afforded us many opportunities to do so. I tell ya, after 25 years of doing this, I still get the slight jitters. I'm excited as hell, though! I need to get back into "gig shape" so I'm going to be playing my ass off for the next 3 weeks. Gotta change some heads too. No, I won't put hydraulics on them! :). It's a big room, I'll be using 2 kick mics and a couple overheads, so I need the toms to ring out more. Anyway I just wanted to share my elation with you cats. I wish you fellas could be here to have some brews and rock out with me!

Cheers,
J

Yeah buddy! It's a "donations only" (tip jar) gig, but we love playing out. We look at it as a big ol' party with a few of our friends. I'll put some pictures up b/c my DWs look pretty damn good under stage lights.

Cheers,
J

As an all-too-infrequent gigger myself, I'm chuffed to bits for you! Enjoy :D

Most gracious m' lady. If you were anywhere close by, I'd put you and yours on the bill with us!

...you'd get all the coin, of course. :)

Most gracious m' lady. If you were anywhere close by, I'd put you and yours on the bill with us!

...you'd get all the coin, of course. :)

You do know that I'm nobody, and I play like sh!t, don't you? And that of all my many faults, false modesty isn't one of them?

But I'd take the coin ;)

You do know that I'm nobody, and I play like sh!t, don't you? And that of all my many faults, false modesty isn't one of them?

But I'd take the coin ;)

Virtuosity is relative and finite.

Sharing a stage and having fun with some of my new friends on DW would be just plain priceless, regardless of one's perceived skill level or lack thereof. :)

Hey man, congrats! I'm also somewhat of an infrequent gigger myself, as my band is an eclectic group of individuals with lives, but I always love getting that chance to play.

I hope it goes well :)

No stage jitters allowed!
Just have fun, stay relaxed - and you'll play a lot better. I think I got stage fright once playing in front of about a 1000 people when I was younger.. but I developed a technique that banished it forever.. I called it 'Shaking The Willies Out' (TM) .. which means; if you feel nervous beforehand.. just start from the top of your head and work your way down just shakin it all over and loosening up and breathing - to blow out whatever nerves you have left - and laugh and smile.. then just focus on killing those drums! (and bonus points if you can connect with the audience while playing - stare out at the crowd and smile - like you are really having fun!)
Good luck!

Thanks fellas! I'll be sure to knock a few back for yas (after I'm done playing of course, can't play sloshed
lol). As for your trademarked butterfly extermination technique, I shall give it its due course my good man.

awesome ! there is an interview w/ Ringo where he says he gets butterflies before ALL gigs. every. time. so just trick your brain it is a positive emotion: "yes, i am EXCITED to play this gig...not nervous / anxious" same symptoms, but spun positive.

The period leading up to a gig is more nerve-wracking than actually playing. Once the first few notes are under your belt, you'll forget why you were nervous in the first place.

The period leading up to a gig is more nerve-wracking than actually playing. Once the first few notes are under your belt, you'll forget why you were nervous in the first place.

While I agree wholeheartedly, my nerves are 90% social anxiety and 10% performance anxiety. I don't do well in crowds, and certainly don't like being the center of attention, especially when all eyes are on us. That's why I love drums, I get to hide behind my cage! Lol. The performance anxiety aspect is usually gone after the first tune, like you suggest. It's weird I know. But the more frequently I gig, the better it gets. Perhaps it's why I don't solo or put up YouTube videos. I know this makes no sense. I love making music in front of people but then I'm nervous of the fact they're all watching me. I'm a basket case. Haha!

Good luck. And as a drummer you can hide behind your drums and cymbals to lesson the social anxiety of eyes on you! Have FUN!

I took a 10 years out of gigging - having kids, jobs, stolen drums, relationships etc.

The moment my old band finally kicked off again on stage - in a local bar - it was like I'd never been away.

I love playing live - and I'll not be taking any major breaks again - if I can help it.

Grab a beer and enjoy it. Good luck.

While I agree wholeheartedly, my nerves are 90% social anxiety and 10% performance anxiety. I don't do well in crowds, and certainly don't like being the center of attention, especially when all eyes are on us. That's why I love drums, I get to hide behind my cage! Lol. The performance anxiety aspect is usually gone after the first tune, like you suggest. It's weird I know. But the more frequently I gig, the better it gets. Perhaps it's why I don't solo or put up YouTube videos. I know this makes no sense. I love making music in front of people but then I'm nervous of the fact they're all watching me. I'm a basket case. Haha!

Understand 100%. I don't know if the social anxiety stuff ever goes away. I'm 62 years old and have avoided mingling in crowds my entire life. Oddly, once I get in front of a crowd, whether public speaking or performing, that's when the anxiety disappears. For some reason, once I become the center of attention I feel like I'm in control of everybody in the room. Human temperament is a strange thing.

GeeDeeEmm

Like the sign says, let's party! Haha bar owner put that up bless her heart. 70-something Korean lady. Gig went great, we got a good sound and everyone seemed to love it. Had about 60 people there, not a bad turnout considering the size of the place and we haven't been out there for a long time. Nerves were not a factor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 122
Back