98 DW Collectors Craviotto with nicks in bearing edge

ANIMALBEATS

Silver Member
So, I left my 98 DW Collectors Craviotto Snare without a rim on, and, not surprisingly, it has sustained two definatley nicks, they are that small you could not photograph them, but a run round with a finger tells you they are there.

Does even the tiniest of nicks effect the sound?

I'm thinking about sending it to Mr Craviotto in the hope he can fix it.

Please no, "if you like the sound, then don't change it" comments

But help and advice will be appreciated

Cheers

Gordon

a soft cloth and an iron can raise them out? There must be a danger??

First I've heard of that!!!!

The wood is fairly soft I recon.

An iron on the bearing edges? Can somebody explain this technique? What does it do?

An iron on the bearing edges? Can somebody explain this technique? What does it do?
In areas where wood has been crushed, a little heat causes a temporary expansion that allows the fibres to return to their uncompressed condition. Obviously, success depends on the amount of compression, & it certainly doesn't fix severely deformed or splintered timber.

A bit of hard wax around the bearing edge is an all round beneficial thing too. The wax will harden to fill in minute scratches/indentations, & it also provides useful lubrication to aid tuning.

Ok.....this method does work but it requires some practice.And...the cloth you use,or actually thick cloth or towel...must be damp at least.The science behind this is the water in the damp cloth will turn to steam when heated by the soldering iron.The steam will then penetrate into the wood grain,and raise it,thereby filling in the hole.I don't know if I would try this on a bearing edge of a DW Craviotto,without a lot of practice,but I have done this on furniture and it does work.

Steve B

Thank you thank you. This is cool.

I really don't think that if the dents are that small it will hurt anything. That being said the iron method will work OR you could take some fingernail polish and apply a few coats,very lightly to build up the indentation, then take some 0000 steel wool and VERY gently polish the area that you put the fingenail polish on. But I really wouldn't worry about it. Just take care on how you store it next time. John

Back