Things you hate to have happen while drumming

Hi-hat unscrew while playing: Can't forget that one... I played for about a year or so at a church on Sunday nights when they did their Life Teen service. I used the house kit, it was actually a really nice setup, I just brought my throne and cymbals. There was a younger kid there who would always fixate on the drums. I saw myself in that young man, so I would let him help setup. He put the hats together and I didn't double check. Totally 100% on me. So we're playing and we get to this really jazzy tune where they would sing a part and I'd play a little fill and choke the hi-hat... "The Lord will bless His people..." tis-tah-tis-tah-tis "The Lord loves His people"... tis-tah-GONG the top part jumped up as it came apart. I flubbed the rest choking it with my hand.

Gravity and loose stuff. I played as a percussionist (snare drum, a suspended cymbal, triangle and concert bass drum, I think) with a choir and an organist/pianist. I went to the concert without rehearsing and, in the middle of a snare part, the screw adjusting the snare tilt loosened and the drum fell directly against the cymbal and music stand. I was REALLY lucky they just moved like half a meter away and didn't fall down and I managed to catch the snare before it hit the floor. In the end I could tighten it and resume playing but everyone saw that near disaster.
Also, cylindrical percussion instruments (like claves) have a tendency to roll and fall. While your hands are already full with another difficult-to-put-away-without-jingling instrument like a tambourine. When you are standing on a hollow wooden platform.

Another thing I hate is when a stick gets caught in a rim and flies away, usually making you either trying to catch it and failing awkwardly (and hilariously) or falling down hitting some cymbals and making noise.

I have a large mambo bell mounted to my bass drum hoop, and when I forget to check the tightness of the clamp to the hoop, sometimes the whole affair comes off as I'm playing the bell. Sometimes it falls into my bass drum beater. That happened just last night, but I threw it off to the side before it actually fell. Luckily I have a smaller bell. Not as satisfying on "Black Magic Woman", but hey what can you do. I don't have a drum tech lol.

I was marching a parade ,the snare cord broke on my snares, so it was flapping underneath ,I reached under to pull it away and somehow cut my hand ,I ended up bleeding allover a white snare head and sticks.

Playing a gig using one of the new Kevlar heads (Duraline)because it was supposed to be unbreakable ,well it was ,but the head wouldn't seat right on the snare drum and pulled all to one side making it feel like a wet paper towel.

Bass drum creap is the most annoying. It happened one time on CARPET!!! I figured I wouldn't need my official drum rug because the stage was carpeted, but my kick was inching forward. So was my left slave pedal. the worst part is that you don't notice it right away. Then after say, 3 or 4 inches, you're like 'holy crap, this thing is sliding away from me"...annoying.

Or when you sit down for the first song and realize you didn't fine tune the angles of your cymbals. One of your crashes is pointing to God know where...

I hate a few things! I love music, it is my life.

1. Bass drum or hi hat stand slipping away
2. Sticks flying out
3. Cymbal moves to a stupid angle
4. Seat becomes 1 foot shorter than it was
5. Forgeting to bring anything important
6. Hi hat unscrewing making the hi hat not open
7. Forgetting to bring something home from a Gig, I always forget something from my drumset, I have the worst memory!!

Linda joined, signed in the once and then was never seen here again.

I guess she forgot about the site or forgot her password.

Linda joined, signed in the once and then was never seen here again.

I guess she forgot about the site or forgot her password.

Actually, it was because of you James. Sorry man. She just didn't like you lol.

Have I told you lately how much fun you are?

I think you're joking Larry but you got me wondering, what did drummers in the 70's do? I remember getting the beater caught in my pant leg many times when I started playing. I used to wear boot cut jeans more too. I can't imagine playing with a bog ol' pair a bell bottoms.

I think you're joking Larry but you got me wondering, what did drummers in the 70's do? I remember getting the beater caught in my pant leg many times when I started playing. I used to wear boot cut jeans more too. I can't imagine playing with a bog ol' pair a bell bottoms.

I was joking. But I still need to tuck my pant leg in my socks, and empty my pockets. I hate having anything in the pockets....except the song.

A memory locked snare stand on a riser that isn't level . Fumbled rimshot mania!

And I had that bell bottom/beater issue on my first gigs as a kid. lol

Actually, it was because of you James. Sorry man. She just didn't like you lol.

Have I told you lately how much fun you are?

Have I told you lately that I love you too?

(But in a manly, brotherly sort of way if that's ok with everyone.)

If your jeans are tight and you dress to the left it could be even worse than that!

Dress to the left. That's a nice way of putting it. I didn't know I had a choice in the matter. That would be really bad aim. Can't say that I ever whacked my pecker.

Dress to the left. That's a nice way of putting it. I didn't know I had a choice in the matter. That would be really bad aim. Can't say that I ever whacked my pecker.

Subject to agreement over definitions, you're a stone cold liar Mr Ace! :)

(Although if you'd added "while drumming" I would be more inclined to believe you.)

My sticks will chip due to hitting the cymbals, and it creates a sawdust type of dust that is like attracted to my polished black shells and I hate that! And it gets between the heads and the rims. Grr

Dandrumf!

I'll be here all weekend! Tip your bar tender.

Peace and love and 20 characters.

Back