Part source help

STXBob

Gold Member
I'm in the process of removing the hardware from my kit so I can get the awful red wrap off it and refinish the drums.

I'd also like to "virginize" the kick. I've seen plates which are designed to cover the Pearl-type double tom mount holes in the bass drum. Trouble is, I can't find the buggers anywhere. Anyone got a link?

Drummerworld Hive Mind, please help me! :-D

If you're going to recover your kit, why not plug the holes altogether? I saw a drum builder take 1-inch dowels, cut to length, inserted and glued into the holes and re-wrapped the drum. He doweled the four smaller screw holes as well. The re-wrapped drum showed no signs of the repair and was totally solid.

I'm in the process of removing the hardware from my kit so I can get the awful red wrap off it and refinish the drums.

I'd also like to "virginize" the kick. I've seen plates which are designed to cover the Pearl-type double tom mount holes in the bass drum. Trouble is, I can't find the buggers anywhere. Anyone got a link?

Drummerworld Hive Mind, please help me! :-D

Here's one type of plate:

http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Bass-Ma...409463390&sr=8-1&keywords=pearl+masking+plate

If you're going to recover your kit, why not plug the holes altogether? I saw a drum builder take 1-inch dowels, cut to length, inserted and glued into the holes and re-wrapped the drum. He doweled the four smaller screw holes as well. The re-wrapped drum showed no signs of the repair and was totally solid.

I don't plan to recover it. The poplar is actually quite nice, so I'm refinishing with teak oil. :)

If I planned to recover the kit, I'd definitely do what you advise, however.

Thanks, dude! :-D

Back