Recommend me a snare (Jazz/Funk)

oops

Silver Member
Hey guys,
Sorry to add to the overall pool of threads on DW, but I've got a sort of specific question.

I have a Tama maple snare that I've been using for a while now, it sounds good for what it is, and i'm decently happy with it.

I've got my 21st birthday coming up, and figured that I can get my parents to help me out with something good, possibly a metal snare.

Now I'm stuck, in that I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for.

Here's the specs I want, see if you've got any ideas.

I want something sensitive (think Jazz Quartet, low volume high articulation), but also with a decent amount of bite when smacked (Funk Cover band, playing pubs and dance parties).

My only ideas so far are an Acrolite, a Supraphonic, or maybe a Pearl Sensitone (Brass?)

Any comments?

I can recommend the 14" x 4" brass Yamaha SD-4440. The sound is crisp, articulate, warm and pleasantly solid in all tunings, and it has plenty of headroom for loud playing.

there are some companies that have played around with carbon fiber snares. you might want to look into that too. at least just to hear what they're like so you have a broader understanding of what you want to buy. that would be my 2 cents.

Ludwig Black Beauty. I have a Pearl Sensitone 6.5 x 14 brass shell, and it's OK, I also have a Ludwig Black Beauty 5 x 14 and there's something about the Ludwig brass that just sounds crisper and more....right.

if you want a brass snare you could check out pork pie's brass snares or the their maple snares 12x5 maybe?

Oops,

I like Stanton Moore's playing as well, and am also searching for a good crisp snare for jazz/funk work. Aside from being seriously interested in either the 4x14 Yamaha brass that Wavelength mentions and the 3.5x14 Garibaldi Signature Yamaha snare, you could check out the Tama Stewart Copeland Signature snare. I own this snare and it is great: can be loud and cutting, but it also possesses a kind of Black Beauty crisp, wet, articulate sound. It is a 5x14 brass shell, 1.5mm I think (same as the Yamaha 4x14), with a die-cast hoop on top and flanged hoop on the resonant side. Excellent snare drum and you can find it for under $300 at most online shops.

From what I've heard lately, Stanton was playing a 4x14 Craviotto at some Galactic gigs last autumn. He's supposed to have a Dunnett Signature 4x14 titanium snare now, which debuted, I think, at NAMM. Both of those snares will run at least over $800, though.

I also just read a review of the Ludwig Black Magic snares (brass shells) in the Feb. '09 issue of Modern Drummer, and the reviewer notes that the 5x14 Black Magic snare would work well in jazz combo setting as well as other styles of music. If you go to moderndrummer.com and click on "multimedia," you can listen to some sound files of the BM snares demonstrated in 7x13, 5x14, and 6.5x14 sizes.

By the way, Oops, let us know what snare you end up with. I'm curious to know what sound you choose.

I want something sensitive (think Jazz Quartet, low volume high articulation), but also with a decent amount of bite when smacked (Funk Cover band, playing pubs and dance parties).

My only ideas so far are an Acrolite, a Supraphonic, or maybe a Pearl Sensitone (Brass?)

Any comments?

Well, I thought about these words you used and this is what I would play. Very articulate, funky crack just one of the best snare drums I have played to date. In 14x5.5 with Coated Ambassador or Coated G1. Good luck hunting down that snare.
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfr...-Absolute-Maple-Nouveau-Snare-Drum?sku=443027

Been doing some more research on snares to fit this bill, and here are some of the ones that receive good reviews for their articulate, sensitivity for jazz/funk and even rock:

- Ahead Black on Brass
- Mapex Black Panther Walnut
- World Max Black Dawg brass
- possibly Yamaha Sensitive Maple
- Longo Solid-Shell Walnut

Here's what Modern Drummer wrote about the World Max 5x14: "At higher tensions, the drum's sensitivity kicks into overdrive, making it ideal for jazz and orchestral work (buzz rolls were exceptional, sizzling all the way to the edge), while rimshots let out a loud and punchy ''crack'' that would sound great on a high-energy Kenny Aronoff--inspired track. Then when you really crank it, you get popping hip-hop/R&B backbeats without choking the drum's full-bodied character."

Oh for the day when I have money to buy either a Craviotto, or the Stanton Moore Sig drum. Thanks for your research.

I'm really still looking at something like the Yamaha Brass Wavelength posted, but I don't want to make my parents put out more money than they can afford. I'm pretty sure that's the snare Keith Carlock brought out to Australia last year, and it was a killer.

Going to call my old drum teacher tommorow and see what he thinks.

Oh for the day when I have money to buy either a Craviotto, or the Stanton Moore Sig drum. Thanks for your research.

I'm really still looking at something like the Yamaha Brass Wavelength posted, but I don't want to make my parents put out more money than they can afford. I'm pretty sure that's the snare Keith Carlock brought out to Australia last year, and it was a killer.

Going to call my old drum teacher tommorow and see what he thinks.

Yup--Keith plays the 4x14 Yamaha Brass nouveau, though according to his Web site he prefers, I think, the 3.5x14 Yamaha Brass--the old one with stable lugs and seamless shell. Either one works well.

You might want to check Ebay for a 60's Rogers Dynasonic. Can be very crisp and sensitive...I'm not a huge Supraphonic fan but if you can find a Super Sensitive for less than a mint, they are pretty cool, too. For less money an option would be COB Rogers Powertone or Super Ten...although not as quick and dynamic as the other two.

U could also look for a cheaper option which is the Omar Hakim snare from Pearl, tight sound w great funky sound to it. Look on craigslist I got one not too long ago for under $150 almost new. I think u can get a sound clip or video clip on youtube for sure just look it up

Any comments?

I think you're on the right track. I own an Acrolite and would highly recommend it; it sounds great for any style of music, and there are tons of them on Ebay, so you can get a drum in good condition without paying a lot. Brass snare drums are amazing; I wish I had one in my collection! I played a Yamaha 13x6.5 brass snare recently with a Remo Black Dot head, and it sounded fantastic, with a nicely pronounced "CRACK". A 14x6.5 brass drum (Pearl Sensitone or Steve Ferrone signature model) would be a really good choice IMO.

I've talked to a couple of Melbourne guys recently about the Acrolites, and they both swore off them, recommending either the Gretsch COB (one on ebay, but $700 is out of my budget) or maybe a Rogers Dynasonic (which I know nothing about).

I may go to some drum shops around town and look at Yamaha Brass snares.

I've talked to a couple of Melbourne guys recently about the Acrolites, and they both swore off them, recommending either the Gretsch COB (one on ebay, but $700 is out of my budget) or maybe a Rogers Dynasonic (which I know nothing about).

I may go to some drum shops around town and look at Yamaha Brass snares.

Oops: I recommend you try a Pork Pie Black Beauty brass snare, 6.5x14. I just tried one this evening and the sensitivity and crispness was very impressive. The shell ring wasn't too bad--not overly loud, fairly well-controlled. And the bonus is it costs only $250.

The Yamaha brass is probably still a good option, but I really recommend you check out the Pork Pie BB brass. I may pick one up tomorrow.

I also tried a Dunnett 6.5x14 Copper snare (8 lugs) and really, really liked the dark, dry, sensitive tone--very good for jazz. However, it is $950--way too expensive. Yamaha makes a hammered copper Roy Haynes snare in 5.5x14 for $400 and a regular copper nouveau snare (like the brass one Wavelength recommended) for $310.

Just an update.

I've sorta given up on the idea of Yamaha Brass, as much as I think it's just what I'm looking for there's been none on eBay, and the local shops will cost me too much to get one in.

I will keep a watch on eBay though.

I'm aiming probably towards something chrome over brass, does anyone have experience with Premier? Here's one I'm eyeing.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Premier-Vint...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318

Otherwise it's probably to a Supra, or maybe the Gretsch COB that's floating around eBay.

If you can land a Drum Workshop brass snare (black nickel over brass), it might work well for you. 14x5.5--you can tune it extremely dry or ringy. Very sensitive drum. It can be loud, but I've had much success playing it softly with much articulation...

Here's one for cheap on eBay, but, of course, it could go way up in price...

http://cgi.ebay.com/DW-Drum-Worksho...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:2|294:50

The auction says it's steel, but I'm sure that mine is brass. I've seen these sell locally for around $200. I got mine new 4 years ago for $300.

If you can land a Drum Workshop brass snare (black nickel over brass), it might work well for you. 14x5.5--you can tune it extremely dry or ringy. Very sensitive drum. It can be loud, but I've had much success playing it softly with much articulation...

Here's one for cheap on eBay, but, of course, it could go way up in price...

http://cgi.ebay.com/DW-Drum-Worksho...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:2|294:50

The auction says it's steel, but I'm sure that mine is brass. I've seen these sell locally for around $200. I got mine new 4 years ago for $300.

According to DW Drums, there is no black nickel brass snare. Their brass snares have the usual gold finish and come in knurled and polished finishes. Only the Steel snare has a black nickel finish.

Oops: Definitely try out the Pork Pie Black Brass 6.5x14; I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Go to Indoor Storm and listen to the sound file for this snare, recorded there in their shop:

http://www.indoorstorm.com/65x14_Pork_Pie_Percussion_Black_Beauty_Snare_Drum-p-811.html

Snare's only $250--an incredible buy.

Otherwise, try out World Max snares and go with the Stanton and Keith Carlock 4x14 size in black brass. This snare routinely wins contests at the Snare Drum Olympics, and it costs in the $250 and $350. George's Drum Shop carries them:

http://georgesdrumshop.com/bin/category.asp?category=90

Good luck hunting for the snare!

Back