Anyone Think They Have What It Takes?

I agree. I have seen tons of drummers that are great enough. But apparently from what I hear, the attitude has a lot to do with how his career is gonna go.

Most drummers can handle most gigs, but attitude is key. And it's a double-edged sword. Of course they should have a good attitude in terms of personality, nobody wants to work with someone who's personally too intense, overly critical, says inappropriate things, etc. But the musician's attitude about their music is important as well. That is, someone who refuses to play certain styles is regarded as having a bad attitude about music, and they usually get their wish - people stop calling them to play those kind of gigs, and others as well. Don't confuse this with preferences or focus... players who want to 'make it' will play whatever they need to in order to 1) make contacts, and 2) make money.

But a lucky break or chance meeting is most likely to propell someone forward in their career, and those things are hard to engineer and even harder to predict.

Bermuda

And forget trying to impress drummers. They won't hire you. Learn how to support bass players, pianists, instrumentalists of all kinds.

Well, forget trying to impress drummers with chops, but do try to impress them with musicianship as described above. While they may not hire you directly, if they like what they hear, they may be in a position to refer you, or ask you to sub on one of their gigs. It happens all the time.

Bermuda

Well, forget trying to impress drummers with chops, but do try to impress them with musicianship as described above. While they may not hire you directly, if they like what they hear, they may be in a position to refer you, or ask you to sub on one of their gigs. It happens all the time.

Bermuda

Of course. I am thinking more about drumming gymnasitics on display these days.

I occassionally hire drummers and those I choose know to serve the music first.

I think the main reason is dedication. Do you know how much dedication it takes to be on a plane every other day, flying around the world, playing for 12+ hours every single day, getting 5 hours of sleep every night, and being away from your family for years?
Im sure 95% of us wouldn't want to go through with that.

I think, given the exposure to different situations the top guys experience, and ample time in tough situations...if I was exposed to that, and was willing to put lots of practice in, I could get there. But I am not there now.

I actually asked a local engineer who works with some big international names, and he pleasantly told me I need to work on a few things. Not always fun to hear, but at least I now know where my weaknesses seem to be.

Questions like this always remind me of the old joke about two guys encountering a grizzly in the woods- when the first guy puts on his running shoes and starts limbering up for a sprint, the second guy says "are you nuts? You can't outrun that bear." And the first guy replies, "I don't have to outrun the bear, I only have to outrun you."

Questions like this always remind me of the old joke about two guys encountering a grizzly in the woods- when the first guy puts on his running shoes and starts limbering up for a sprint, the second guy says "are you nuts? You can't outrun that bear." And the first guy replies, "I don't have to outrun the bear, I only have to outrun you."
Well that's pretty funny... But how does it have to do with the question? Maybe, I'm missing something, but I don't see the link...

Well that's pretty funny... But how does it have to do with the question? Maybe, I'm missing something, but I don't see the link...

In order to get employed, you don't need to me one of the best, you certainly don't need to be one of the "big dogs"........you just need to be better than the guy trying out next to you.

And yes, it's very funny. :)

In order to get employed, you don't need to me one of the best, you certainly don't need to be one of the "big dogs"........you just need to be better than the guy trying out next to you.

And yes, it's very funny. :)
Ah ok I see, so the bear is the "big dog."

Thanks for clarifying.

I hope to at least make a living out of music. You never know when a big opportunity might arise. According to Chris Coleman, the best thing you can do is being professional, have a good attitude and try to play for auditions that are over your league(this was in the lates Modern Drummer magazine). Something about flinging your name out there, so that the big shots know your name, or atleast have heard of you.

I hope to at least make a living out of music. You never know when a big opportunity might arise. According to Chris Coleman, the best thing you can do is being professional, have a good attitude and try to play for auditions that are over your league(this was in the lates Modern Drummer magazine). Something about flinging your name out there, so that the big shots know your name, or atleast have heard of you.

Thats the great thing about the net. There are loads of producers/musicians who have sites such as myspace or youtube, and are happy to take a quick look at your stuff or give advice, hell, look at this site! Never know they might remember you, or even like you so much that they want to work with you. Even look at guys who are going to college now who are working their way up, but are crazy talented, give them a holla! But these are just about the networking like you said. You need to have the good and have locked yourself in the practice room for many hours.

No artist wants to pass on some heavy duty talent if it falls on their lap in the right parcel!

This is part of my plan during the next ear on my wait to college, network from my laptop while I wait!

Do I have what it takes to be a "Big time" drummer
In a word No.

But what I do have is enough facility to create my own sounds, write my own music and express what ideas I have in a way that is uniquely mine

Seems to me that a a certain point, The greats seem to have that extra 5 % that differentiates them from guys like me. I know I will never groove like Gadd, swing like Buddy, or be as creative as Bellson.... and you know what. thats OK

What I have gained as a result of my studies is an increased appreciation for what they do and my enjoyment of their art is enhanced by my experience

While I love, am awestruck, and and am influenced by many musicians, as well as other things i see hear and read - seems to me my job is to try to find my own voice

I have a choice - I can be either a 3rd rate clone of the masters, or a first rate version of myself

my drum teacher gave me the best advice ever really. simple but true

(not exactly what he said but close enough)

"Their will always be a guy who is like a God at clave, jazz, and other types. But their is only one you. No one else will ever drum like you"

Has anybody else noticed a trend in the "spotlight" drummers?

I'm going to approach it with a "metal" example, as im comfortable there, but look at people like Chris Addler. Even in his interviews he takes the "well, im a self taught drummer, thats no better than anyone else, and i play for the song"

The "Play for the song" type drummer is becoming for and more recognized. Taking from Chris Addler again is his appearance in the 2005 MD Festival, where he openly said "I didnt spend 30 minutes playing a solo, because im not a solo guy, i play songs"

So i think the "Big dogs" are shifting from greats like Portnoy and Peart, and moving into a whole new area of drumming that focuses on the music, not just the instrument.

If this is the case, i believe that almost any of us that play good music that is openly welcomed by the masses, has the opportunity to become a recognized drummer.

Has anybody else noticed a trend in the "spotlight" drummers?

I'm going to approach it with a "metal" example, as im comfortable there, but look at people like Chris Addler. Even in his interviews he takes the "well, im a self taught drummer, thats no better than anyone else, and i play for the song"

The "Play for the song" type drummer is becoming for and more recognized. Taking from Chris Addler again is his appearance in the 2005 MD Festival, where he openly said "I didnt spend 30 minutes playing a solo, because im not a solo guy, i play songs"

So i think the "Big dogs" are shifting from greats like Portnoy and Peart, and moving into a whole new area of drumming that focuses on the music, not just the instrument.

If this is the case, i believe that almost any of us that play good music that is openly welcomed by the masses, has the opportunity to become a recognized drummer.

+1

I've never solo'ed in my life. In between songs I only think about what's coming up next, and put a smile on my face. :p

... And I think I might be able to make it another 17 years without playing a solo.

I don't think I'll ever be one of the greats, but inside, in my heart, I aim high (but also have no expectations) and that keeps me going, and it always has. If I didn't aim high I wouldn't have almost gotten to play drums @ a Foo Fighters concert despite being all chemo'ed out, & I wouldn't have gotten to play a short set with Monkey Wrench, the Foo cover band featured on MTV's 24 hours of Foo (playing with a stick that Dale Crover gave to me). In ways I've already lived my rock n roll dream, but in a heck of a lot of others it's just started.

I think a good mix of "aim high" and "be humble" is in order. :)

Bermuda

I remember when at least 80% of my work came from other drummers.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone think they have what it takes to be considered one of the "Big Dogs" of drumming, but just haven't been given the chance yet?

No chance, I simply do not have time to become that good. Also, I may not have the innate talent to be a technical maestro like Mayer, Colaiuta, etc, etc.

Apologies for the self-gratuitous plug, but this review was posted after my band's gig two nights ago and has made my day because it describes all the things I aim to be as a drummer:
"New drummer, Harry, slotted smoothly into the mix, showing great dexterity and the ability to absolutely nail the occasional pause or execute the sharpest of cymbal crashes at the end of a song."

On the OP's question, Hell no, I'd hope not at least, I'd probably change my name if I ever landed up being some kind of celebrity. That doesn't mean I don't try impress people, but I attempt to do it in the most non-egotistical manner possible, basically I let my playing speak for itself without showing off, if they discuss things with me, I do my best to be critical in a productive sense. Most of all, I try to listen.

On another topic of conversation, there are certainly a lot of spotlight metal drummers, but at lot of that is simply because most metal drum styles didn't exist as little as twenty years ago.

There were no 300bpm free hand gravity blasts for extended periods of time in the eighties.

It is just new, and for people that have never seen fast, fill heavy percussion it can be more impressive for a casual observer then someone taking their time attempting to sit back and play the beat.

Due to the high tempo and sonic density of a lot of metal music, the genre opens itself to that kind of playing, which would be considered redundant noise in another genre.

Back