Our 'Other' Drums

medeskisoul

Pioneer Member
Here is a photo of my hand percussion. The remo Djembe is what I take hiking and camping because it is the most weather resistant. The others stay in the studio because they were WAY too expensive to take camping and risk theft or damage. The skateboard was just there. good entertainment on tour or if I am bored.

Attachments

• Percussion.jpg
    Percussion.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 12,822
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Medeskisoul's Hand Percussion

GPinney said:
Cool drums man. I love bongos

Thank you very much. I love them too.

For clarification though, the large remo is a 12" Djembe, The medium ceramic drum is a 10" Djembe and the small ceramic drums is an 8" doumbek.

maybe if I get super ambitous I will go into my storage warehouse and dig out my vintage drums. I have a few goodies like a: hand painted calfskin head, wood hoop, cat gut snares snare drum from a boys band in the 20's with case, sticks, stand, music and photo of band member. I also have an original picolo snare from god knows when. it is a single headed drum with calfskin head and catgut snares right against the single head with a small screw to adjust tension. Man I need go digging around one of these weekends.

RAMBLER ALERT!!!! sorry... :)

hey cool, lets make this our OTHER DRUMS thread. heres my sweet djembe. as a south african i have played and tried a lot of djembes over the years, and then i found this one. this is the loudest djembe ever. it has massive tonal separation and a beautiful timbre. it was very expensive though, but i felt i needed to buy one and so i spent years finding 'the one'. it is called: HIPPO. for first time djembe buyers a sign of a good djembe is the closeness of the knots around the rim. like lugs, the more the better. mine are so close you cannot see a rim, its all solid knots.

J

PS: the strap means i can hang it from my waste and walk around with it at comfortable playing height.

That is AWESOME!!! I am in love with your Djembe!!! Good idea about making this our other Drums thread. Thanks jason!

I'm going to start working night shifts on the start of august, and getting a new Djembe was part of my plan's in the spending region :D, my older brother gave me a number to a guy who has them made on demand, so i'll give him a call sometime soon.

I'm sure this is going to be a great investment!

a thread for posting "other" percussion yes! I'm glad this forum seems to love both. Alot of people that play hand percussion ONLY play hand percussion and only respect other hand percussionists and I always found that odd and unfortunate. I think I'm gonna go take pics of my stuff now haha.

Here's a drum I got in Santa Fe. It's a native drum made out of a tree that had split into two trunks
TheKIT035.jpg

And here's another native drum, I included my kit in the picture so you can get an idea of how huge this thing is.
TheKIT038.jpg

Here's an assortment of most of my hand percussion.
TheKIT039.jpg

From left to right it would be; a set of bongos, a tiny little conga, a set of australian clave like things, a tambourine, and a hand made ceramic doumbek (my favorite!)
TheKIT040.jpg

And then those miniature congas by Hidalgo are amazing! They sound and feel like the real sized thing hehe
TheKIT041.jpg

A frame drum, shaker, and tambourine hanging from the wall...
TheKIT042.jpg

A small, lovely gong
TheKIT043.jpg

Wind chimes that sound like some middle eastern key or something its nothing like american made chimes
TheKIT044.jpg

you've probably heard of the roland handsonic before. great stuff (and its to the side in between my two kits so i can play it at the same time)
TheKIT044.jpg

Agogo bells or something from africa. I wanna put them onto my kit too haha
TheKIT047.jpg

A Triton, Karma, and Fantom... all have some sweet drum loops and stuff
TheKIT045.jpg

and finally an mpc 4000 drum machine
TheKIT048.jpg

I know this post is long haha so you can get rid of it or move it to a seperate thread if you want Nutha lol!

medeskisoul said:
Thank you very much. I love them too.

For clarification though, the large remo is a 12" Djembe, The medium ceramic drum is a 10" Djembe and the small ceramic drums is an 8" doumbek.

maybe if I get super ambitous I will go into my storage warehouse and dig out my vintage drums. I have a few goodies like a: hand painted calfskin head, wood hoop, cat gut snares snare drum from a boys band in the 20's with case, sticks, stand, music and photo of band member. I also have an original picolo snare from god knows when. it is a single headed drum with calfskin head and catgut snares right against the single head with a small screw to adjust tension. Man I need go digging around one of these weekends.

RAMBLER ALERT!!!! sorry... :)

Thancks for the clarification, im not that familiar with the types of hand percussion.

I get to play a bongo/conga set at my church it's both LP ...aah, can i come when dogbreath does..it could be a party haha..
peace

My tabla...admittedly, I don't really know how to play them properly. I'm going to find a teacher soon. They're just such a beautiful instrument(s).
tablaaloneshrunk8xk.jpg

A few of my instruments together: toy drum from China, temple blocks, odd cowbells, the tabla, shekere, and dumbek (which hasn't shown up well in this picture).
floorkitshrunk4mu.jpg

Kevlar said:
A few of my instruments together: toy drum from China, temple blocks, odd cowbells, the tabla, shekere, and dumbek (which hasn't shown up well in this picture).

I can kindof see the doumbek ... is it an alexandria? Those are really nice, sometimes you can find ones that sound like they're worth twice as much as the price. great quality drums. yay!

aahznightsky said:
I can kindof see the doumbek ... is it an alexandria? Those are really nice, sometimes you can find ones that sound like they're worth twice as much as the price. great quality drums. yay!

Thanks!
I don't actually know the make or model. The local Long & McQuade had it, included gig bag and a spare head. I like it a lot.

Ok, this will be a two post deal.

Starting with Djembe's, Bongo's, and Conga's.

First pic is my good djembe, it is from the Ivory Coast. The head is damaged, but it is still playable, and has great tone. I got this from a garage sale.

Pics 2 and 3 are my beat up djembe, I got it free with my otehr djembe. It has crack in the side, the head is really beat up, and the strings would probally break if I tried to tighten the head.

4 is my LP Aspire bongos.

5 is my bongos I got from the same garage sale as the 2 djembes. The one head is a natural skin, that WASN'T SHAVEN. So it is a fur head. They are also pretty beat up.

6 is my LP Aspire Congas.

Attachments

• Conga.JPG
    Conga.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 10,772
  • Beat Up Bongos with Fur Head.JPG
    Beat Up Bongos with Fur Head.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 10,844
  • LP Bongos.JPG
    LP Bongos.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 11,013
  • Djembe crack.JPG
    Djembe crack.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 11,084
  • Beat Up Djembe.JPG
    Beat Up Djembe.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 11,262
  • Good Djembe.JPG
    Good Djembe.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 11,433
Now, the more obscure.

Pic one is my Udu. I got it on a Guitar Center sale.

Two is my Talking Drum, it was fairly cheap from a non music store.

Three is my $12 Remo Doumbek. This is my drum I take anywhere.

Four is my ceramic doumbek.

Five is my Copper Darbuka I got this used with a spare head and carrying case for $80.

Last is my Misc Percussion. Most of which was less than $5 a piece.

Attachments

• Udu.JPG
    Udu.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 10,662
  • Talking Drum.JPG
    Talking Drum.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 10,506
  • Remo Doumbek.JPG
    Remo Doumbek.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 10,431
  • Old School Ceramic Doumbek.JPG
    Old School Ceramic Doumbek.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 10,284
  • Copper Darbuka.JPG
    Copper Darbuka.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 10,176
  • Shakers and misc.JPG
    Shakers and misc.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 10,081
And no I didn't pay for it all. Alot of those drums/percussion came as gifts. Small percussion items are something ALOT of different people give me.

Insanedrummer those are some awesome looking doumbeks! that and drumset are my favorite oh yeah!

Back