Acrylic Drums?

phishfrenzy

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have been playing on a Pearl Forum for the past 11 years and I modified it quite nicely. I got better heads, cymbals and hardware and it sounds great. I've been playing drums for 21 years and that was my first real kit. I'm on the market for a new kit however. I've been looking into the Pearl Masters BCX, but out of curiosity I decided to check out a few acrylic kits. I'm debating whether I should go with birch or acrylic shells.

My advice for what its worth is to go with wood drums if you plan on gigging out at all. I am sure there will be quite a bit of differing opinions on this, but first hand experience has shown me that constantly transporting of acrylic drums will result in cracking the shells. I have seen a number of acrylic drums with cracked shells. I had a tech (for The Band Perry's touring drummer if I recall correctly) tell me that touring with acrylic drums isn't a matter of IF you will crack a shell, but WHEN.

I love the look and the sound of acrylic, but the durability issues have been a major reason why I never purchased one.

Acrylic drums have a particular sound to them that is rather unique. they are not for everyone, not only for the player, but the listener.

My advice for what its worth is to go with wood drums if you plan on gigging out at all. I am sure there will be quite a bit of differing opinions on this, but first hand experience has shown me that constantly transporting of acrylic drums will result in cracking the shells. I have seen a number of acrylic drums with cracked shells. I had a tech (for The Band Perry's touring drummer if I recall correctly) tell me that touring with acrylic drums isn't a matter of IF you will crack a shell, but WHEN.

I love the look and the sound of acrylic, but the durability issues have been a major reason why I never purchased one.

+1
I have a Vistalite set that I love but it has only left the house once. Heavy drums as well. They do sound great, though.

Attachments

• vistakit1copya.jpg
    vistakit1copya.jpg
    845.3 KB · Views: 374
I personally love my acrylics beautiful in both looks & sound...but yeah they're heavy only drawback.

keep swattin'
Bonzolead

Attachments

• clear crush.jpg
    clear crush.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 350
  • Crush's @ the Boat Bar.jpg
    Crush's @ the Boat Bar.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 346
I love my acrylic drums. They work really well if your outside un-mic'd because they have tons of VOLUME! Regardless of what some may say, they record really too. Like any other drum, heads, tuning, and the guy playing them will dictate how they sound recorded.

I was going to sell these to get my Gretsch Renowns, but I just can't let them go…

I had a set of clear Vistalites (bought in 1980) that I gigged with for 20 years. Never cracked 'em. And ...... sold 'em for more than I paid for 'em. Now I have a set of red Vistalites. Again, original issue.​
Certainly, they're not for everyone, but what drums are. If you like the look and the sound, go for it.​

I don't understand why there's a pillow in that bass drum. Sacrilege!

Yeah, I get crap about the pillow all the time. I love the sound I get with it. When I add T-rods and the new Ludwig cast claws I will address it.

Yeah, I get crap about the pillow all the time. I love the sound I get with it. When I add T-rods and the new Ludwig cast claws I will address it.

I was just giving you a hard time ;) If it gives you the sound you're looking for then don't worry about what other people say. But when I see an amber Vistalite like yours, my mind immediately goes to Bonhams' with a dot for the batter and clear for the front and NOTHING in it!

Come to think of it, there are a few people selling NOS Ludwig Silver Dot heads on eBay - you might wanna get those before I buy them for my Ludwigs!

Bo,
I use Remo Black Dots, just like John Henry. I have the Jeff Ocheltree DVD where he re-heads and tunes a Bonham Vistalite kit and he uses two strips of thick felt for the bd.

I love my acrylics. They are robust and I'm not afraid to gig with them. Plus, the Crush shell pack is under $1000.

Attachments

• image2 - Copy.jpeg
    image2 - Copy.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 280
Bo,
I use Remo Black Dots, just like John Henry. I have the Jeff Ocheltree DVD where he re-heads and tunes a Bonham Vistalite kit and he uses two strips of thick felt for the bd.

But just think of the thunder when using a bass drum with NO muffling whatsoever, and he did that too. I tried it when I had a 16x26 bass drum and it's downright scary ;)

Back