First-time Roto Tom buyer needs advice

Hotstixlix

I am considering the purchase of a three-tom Roto-Tom set, but wonder if I should look for the typical 6-8-10 inch set that is offered almost everywhere, or if I should look for an 8-10-12 inch group....or even a 10-12-14 inch group. I play in a 17-piece jazz band and occasionally in a jazz trio, plus a musical review band, where a tymp would come in handy once in a while. (I read somewhere that the 14-inch Roto would give kind of a tympani effect, which would be useful in the musical review band that plays a lot of Broadway show tunes).

Also, are there various drum manufacturers who offer Roto-Toms, or just Remo. I saw some RTs that were apparently offered by Vater on eBay, leading me to suspect that the Roto-Toms are a variant of drums that may in fact be made by different manufacturers. If this is the case, which one should I look for?

Third, there seem to be a lot of used RTs for sale on CL and elsewhere, making me question if I should just give up the whole idea. I have read that the tom rack is some 30" wide and that placing them can be a problem, leading me to believe that this is the reason that there are so many used ones for sale. I have three drum kits, the largest having a BD, SD, 2 rack toms and one floor tom. The other kits are smaller, for trios and other smaller groups.

So...should I include RTs as part of the kit?
If so, which sizes?
Which manufacturer?
Any hardware variations that would allow for easier use on or around the kit?
Or....should I just kiss off the whole idea?

I've kinda had a love/hate relationship with those drums, ever since I put my first pro level kit together, in 1980. I had them in 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 sizes. Chrome over chrome.​
Built a set ... sold it .... built a set .... sold it ... built a set ... sold it ... yeah, 3 times .... they really are kinda one-trick-pony's.​
As far as timpani sounding ... certainly not a 14" ... maybe an 18" ... but not a 14".​
10" and 12", I RIM mount, 14 and larger, I blow out a snare stand, and mount them that way.​
If you add a singular drum to your kit, for versatility, I'd look at the Korg Wave drum http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrso0c14f-s Amazing unit. I had 3 acoustic kits also, and to finance my jump into the electronic world, I sold my Yamaha Recording Customs (since replaced with another set of RC's).​

Rototoms are a Remo thing, but due to their popularity of the 6-8-10 set, it has been copied by many others.

I could be dead wrong, but as far as I know, only Remo sells them in the bigger sizes.
As far as looking for the bigger sets, you would have to special order them or find them used.
I've never seen the 12 and up sizes in a store as new.

I once bought a 16 and 18 used, thinking I'd put together a larger set. They sat in my closet un-touched for maybe two or three years, so I sold them.

Other than a fun toy, I'm not really sure what the point of the Rototom was. Terry Bozzio is the only guy I know who made a lot of use out of them, and even he gave them up.

I do have a 6" roto-tom casting (sold as "spokes, although mine came from a set set that had fallen apart). It makes a great chime sound. Although after owning it for close to 20 years, I only ever used it on ONE song, and only the recorded version. I didn't even bring it with me for the live version.

get some "real" drums if you want a bigger sound pallete/kit. Tune drums differently if you want a different sound. DO NOTget rototoms

I kinda have to go with this too. Roto's are OK, but a pain to haul, and place comfortably IMO.
I had the small set when I was a kid, and I got a set for my son when he wanted more drums (really cheap at the shop), but even he doesn't use them anymore (and they sit...).

If you got 1 or 2 for effect and can use them, I'd say the 16 and 18.
Those at least can be used for "anything", and can also be used for effects.

Good luck.

Thanks for your comments, everyone. After reading your comments, I think I'll pass on the Rotos. The Korg looks interesting, however, but I doubt that it would fit into the 50s-60s type of jazz I am playing now. I'm into Count Basie and other big band music more than anything else, and play with small groups for fun and extra money.

Back