Sonor Safari

Frank

Gold Member
Anyone actually see and play these new - very inexpensive - micro kits?

I'm not sure if they're only available in the U.S. I know they are fairly new, and
not easy to find. The major online retailers don't have them yet, but some smaller eBay stores seem to.

Sounds like a possible steal for someone looking for a micro kit. Definitely not for everyone, but, I have been scouting a low cost solution for a jazz micro kit, and I might have found it in this.

There is a sound clip on YouTube. Sounds pretty good. Basswood shells. Seems like a real nice little kit for the money.

Does sound like its quite a deal.... being I own 3007's and know Sonor builds great lower priced drums what suprised me most from the clip was how good those Stagg cymbals sounded...like to compare them to say a 2002 or A custom

Sonor can do no wrong IMO.

IMG00173-20100606-1202.jpg

Picture011.jpg

IMG00024-20100307-1042.jpg

IMG00020-20100307-1040.jpg

IMGP5157.jpg

IMGP5308.jpg

IMGP5305-1.jpg

IMGP5268.jpg

IMGP5295.jpg

IMGP5284.jpg

IMGP5246.jpg

I have many more. Sonor will never let you down.

I bought one! I play some places where it's just too small for my full size kit. I swapped out the stock Sonor heads and I'm still tweaking everything. I've played one gig so far with it and everyone was pleased. It certainly easier hossing this kit around, especially up and down a flight or two of stairs.

KGK

I took the plunge. One is on the way.

For jazz. I'll actually be ditching the floor tom, ditching the BD reso, and carrying
the remaining 3 pieces in one, light, 16" bag.

Interesting little kit. I'm thinking about getting one just for fun since the Jungle kits cost so much more. I think Sonor has another hit on its hands. There's a couple of sellers on eBay that have quite a few in stock. $339....can't beat that!

Mine arrived. In the black galaxy sparkle.

I don't have them set up to hear them yet, but I just pulled the shells out the box.
At least aesthetically - very impressive.

Probably won't be able to get this kit up until Saturday.

I expect this to be a big win, and I'm going to love carting a 3 piece with a 16" BD.
2 bags - 1 shells, 1 hardware.
1 trip, and I'm into the gig.

Yeah, baby.

Re: Sonor Safari - UX heads

I have never used the cheaper Remo UX heads.

I'm putting the kit up, and I'm thinking of just leaving the stock heads for now.

Am I wasting my time? Does anyone get reasonable tone out of the UX heads?
The guy on YouTube with this kit kept the heads on the small tom and snare, and I didn't think that tone was bad. I thought the small tom actually sounded very good.

They are OK but you will want to upgrade when you get a chance.
I have used them on drums that I bought for a while before I bought new ones.

I should see my Safari kit on Tuesday. I'll do a little review when I get it on YouTube.
If I can make magic with a 1960s import Kent kit, this shouldn't be too hard ;)

Who'd you order it from? Got mine from JustDrums on eBay.

Who'd you order it from? Got mine from JustDrums on eBay.

They were on eBay from Explorers Percussion. Great price, free shipping. I think everyone is giving the same eBay deal. I was a former Sonor 3007 kit owner so I know these safari's shouldn't be too cheap. I plan on putting mesh heads on it for silent practice.

Back