Snare drum buying advice

My Sonor maple snare drum doesn't have enough punch for any types of music rockier than jazz. It is really sensetive but not what i am looking for. What snare drums are powerful and deep and cost around or below £800? Any suggestions would help.

Check out Ludwig Black Magic snares. They are very powerfull and reasonably priced. They have the crack of a Supraphonic with the darkness of a Black Beauty. My 6.5x14 has quickly become my "go to" snare for most gigs.

They do sound good, but the choice of colours is very limited
And?

Noone's gonna see it

I played a teal/grey Tama Granstar and now play a black Mapex Meridian Birch and my snare is a silver Black Panther

Last edited:
I don't own any snare drums that match my kits. It should always be about what sound you are trying to achieve, not what a piece of equiptment looks like.

Amazingly, when tuned rather high my Tama Swingstar snare really gets punchy and cuts through really well. It remains deep with a growl and yet has a really nice top end to it. I'm pretty impressed with it overall.

images

My Sonor maple snare drum doesn't have enough punch for any types of music rockier than jazz. It is really sensetive but not what i am looking for. What snare drums are powerful and deep and cost around or below £800? Any suggestions would help.

Really? When I owned a 3007 kit I thought the snare was amazing. Here's a video of me doing some New Orleans stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovSx1Q54CJw

And there's also a video of me playing it with a band on my YouTube channel as well. Perhaps a new set of heads and snares would help? I kept the snares and put a vintage emperor on top and an ambassador snare side on it. These 3007 snares are throatier than more expensive drums I've owned.

Really? When I owned a 3007 kit I thought the snare was amazing. Here's a video of me doing some New Orleans stuff:

And there's also a video of me playing it with a band on my YouTube channel as well. Perhaps a new set of heads and snares would help? I kept the snares and put a vintage emperor on top and an ambassador snare side on it. These 3007 snares are throatier than more expensive drums I've owned.

NOT to detract from the thread, but i LOVE the white on that sonor - super clean and cool looking man! i think it sounds great too. that snare has a nice range.

what heads are currently on it?

My Sonor 3007 snare rocks too. Its got a great pop and overall tone and is plenty loud, even for Metal.
But definately check out the new Mapex Black Panthers.

NOT to detract from the thread, but i LOVE the white on that sonor - super clean and cool looking man! i think it sounds great too. that snare has a nice range.

Thanks! The white on the Sonor actually has little sparkles in it and does look rather cool.
Unfortunately soon after I got the Sonors and got them to sound great, I upgraded to the Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elites. My Sonors went to a guy in Colorado. He's probably wanting to ask me why I sold them!

Ambassador head for snare batter, emperors for toms batters, Aquarian superkick2 for bass batter and all reso's are stock heads

If you want more punch or something "rockier", maybe experiment with thicker heads -- remo ambassador x, emperors, controlled sound, aquarian studio x, focus x, and others. It may just be that change you're looking for before spending hundreds of dollars or pounds on another snare (unless of course you're wanting another snare ;))

good luck and keep on drumming! :)

just crossed my mind after seeing "powerful, deep and costs below 800" :)

if staying with sonor, the danny carey signature snare -- 14x8

http://www.thomann.de/gb/sonor_1408dc_signature_danny_carey.htm

Last edited:
The rockiest of rock snares to ever rock....Ludwig LM402.

26876_11549_popup.jpg

...you can also play any type of music you want with it.

Back