Anyone Think They Have What It Takes?

drumgeek93

Just out of curiosity, does anyone think they have what it takes to be considered one of the "Big Dogs" of drumming, but just haven't been given the chance yet?

It is most entirely possible that you just haven't been discovered yet! Anyone recommend anyone else for such a fame?

I am nowhere near this (drumming for 4 years) but I have seen tons of drummers on youtube that could easily compete with famous drumming greats. I think a lot of it is just about getting lucky breaks.

I agree. I have seen tons of drummers that are great enough. But apparently from what I hear, the attitude has a lot to do with how his career is gonna go.

lol So then what do you guys think separates "us" from the Big guys? There timing? There Chops or rudiments? etc..

lol So then what do you guys think separates "us" from the Big guys? There timing? There Chops or rudiments? etc..

Yep, indeed.......but it's also inclusive of their opportunities, their work ethic, their demenor, their taste and style, how appropriate they are for a given gig, who they know.........and many other factors that I've neglected to mentioned.

Yep, indeed.......but it's also inclusive of their opportunities, their work ethic, their demenor, their taste and style, how appropriate they are for a given gig, who they know.........and many other factors that I've neglected to mentioned.

All of the above + a lot more. In addition, you need a playing USP, total dedication, & a huge portion of good luck. Drumming has to truly be your life.

...So, your saying not that much then.. lol. *sarcasm*

Does the Big Dog collection only include the big names? or does big dogs include people who are great players but not mentioned that much? Like Chris McHugh, or Lonnie Wilson

No.

I realized at 22, no one was every going to mention me in the same sentence at Dave Weckl or Terry Bozzio.

But at the time same, many people make their living playing drums without being on that level. If you can play well enough to be in the right band, and have people want to work with you, that can be enough. Which isn't to say, go ahead and slack off. It still takes a lot of work and dedication.

I have never considered myself particularly talented, but I worked hard and got myself into bands that have played in front of at least one person from every record company in the word, I have heard myself on the radio, and gotten fan mail from obscure parts of the world.

None of it turned into a full on career, but at least I can say I did it.

Yah I'm 17 and have realized that, My goal is to just make an honest living as a session drummer, no search for fame. Which is why in my entire career of playing, none of it has been spent learning the fancy stuff, but mostly the stuff thats gonna get me hired.. Like 'keep it simple' said "it has to be your life to become one of the big dogs.

...So, your saying not that much then.. lol. *sarcasm*

Does the Big Dog collection only include the big names? or does big dogs include people who are great players but not mentioned that much? Like Chris McHugh, or Lonnie Wilson

I think he's talking about the English hardware range.

I have wondered this before from this angle:

Say you are in a cover band, and you are covering drum parts note for note, as well as capturing the dynamics and feel as done by dozens of drummers from the original bands. In my case; Bonham, Peart, Carey, Aldridge, etc., just to name a few. Doesn't that put you up there?

In other words, if you can do it just like they do, aren't you just as good?

I have wondered this before from this angle:

Say you are in a cover band, and you are covering drum parts note for note, as well as capturing the dynamics and feel as done by dozens of drummers from the original bands. In my case; Bonham, Peart, Carey, Aldridge, etc., just to name a few. Doesn't that put you up there?

haha, definitely a positive way to look at it!

really though I think making it is within your own mind and expectations, some people will be happy doing gigs locally as I would be considering my own circumstances, others want to make their own name known to the world.

I'm not even close to where I would like to be since I'm a newb so my answer is No.......but YES! I have what it takes to want to learn and the passion and love music to seek it out at 36yrs old.

Yah I guess I could see that. But being that they are the ones that came up with it, that could make them better. Like if you tried copying da vinci's work.

Two main things:

Confidence and experience.

Look how many songs on the radio have a really basic drum part any of us could play. But why do only certain people get those gigs? Confidence in their own playing.

When the red light comes on in the studio, the producer starts the click track, and they're sitting in a room costing someone a thousand dollars an hour, they don't cave under the pressure, or get nervous, or question of they can remember to hit the crash on bar two of the 2nd verse but not on the 1st verse, or wonder if they can follow the click or not. They just do it.

I realize that is over simplistic, but I do believe it's true.

And experience is another. Occasionally, I see a player, and realize, what separates them from me or anyone else in the room is their band got signed when they were young, and they went on tour and have spent almost every night of their lives playing live or recording. Meanwhile, my band didn't, so I had to spend 8 to 10 hours a day at a day job, making ends meet, all of which has taken away from my time behind the drum kit.

And then, from there, it is is finding the right situation, being in the right place at right time, and getting along with people.

There are people out there who do have it what it takes, but just never get the right gig.

Famed drummer Rod Morgenstein, who was already a monster player with a reputation in the music business, has several not-so-funny stories about auditions that he just blew because it just wasn't the right fit, despite already being a name player.

My spin on it? Anyone can copy....easiest thing in the world. BUT, could you come up with anything as memorable if left to your own devices in your own original band?

- This goes far beyond the OP's question though....it's more of a direct response to your question of "if you can do it, can you consider yourself on-a-par, with those who 'invented'? IMHO, No.....given enough time and practice, I could work my way through many drum compositions.....but wheteher or not I could have come up with them when presented with the original peice of music, is highly unlikely.

What it takes to do what???

All we can do is dedicate ourselves to be as good as can be and be ready to accept opportunities when they arrive. I have played to millions of people. Big deal. What you want is longevity. So far, with time out for illness, I've had a 29 year drumming career that is ongoing. That's good enough for me. Many just get sick of showbiz. I did and so I moved into full time teaching.

To begin comparing yourself to others does nothing but create a downward spiral. We are our own worst critics. So if you are overly critical of yourself while worshipping others you will never bring yourself to compete.

Set a high standard and do your best.

And forget trying to impress drummers. They won't hire you. Learn how to support bass players, pianists, instrumentalists of all kinds. You do not have to be Vinnie to work. You need good time, sensitivity to the needs of others, belief in yourself and be pleasant to be around. These simple qualities have seen many through a successful career.

I honestly think my drum teacher could hold this title. Literally the best drummer I have seen.

His name is Al Coster if you wanna check him out ;)

Back