Floor Tom to Bass Drum

Alex H

I tried a search on this, so I apologize if this has already been discussed. I was wondering if anyone has experience turning a floor tom into a bass drum, how they did so, and about how much it cost them. I've currently got a 22" bass and it's just too much. I've got a 16" floor tom back home that I don't ever anticipate using as a floor tom again and I'd be willing to take a crack at turning it into a kick. So, if anyone has advice or a step-by-step, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Wow, thanks guys. I had no idea they had hardware for this sort of thing. I was thinking i would have to remove the wrap and legs on the tom and put bass drum legs on it and find 16" bass drum hoops (which sounds like a pain). This seems much easier. Thanks so much.

My own creation, only €15,- (instead of a €150,- DW)

Attachments

• IMG_0921 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0921 (Large).jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 8,397
  • IMG_0923 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0923 (Large).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 6,708
I know this thread is kinda old, but I thought I'd show my 18" floor tom mount I made, took two days. It cost me under $15 because I had a lot of wood already. Just had to buy stain (I did a bad job on that), and a hinge for where the pedal mounts (Ludwig Speed King) so I can fold it up when I move it so the extension doesn't break off, and the rubber foam to protect the drum. Thanks to frank0072 for the idea. I had been wanting to do this for a while!

Attachments

• Floor Tom Conversion 004 small.jpg
    Floor Tom Conversion 004 small.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 6,335
  • Floor Tom Conversion 003 small.jpg
    Floor Tom Conversion 003 small.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 6,302
  • Floor Tom Conversion 002 small.jpg
    Floor Tom Conversion 002 small.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 9,223
  • Floor Tom Conversion 001 small.jpg
    Floor Tom Conversion 001 small.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 9,998
Last edited:
Using wood hoops and bass drum heads will make the drum sound deeper and more like a bass drum.

I made this recently for playing in tiny venues where there simply isn't room for a kit.
I called it The "Tomakahon" !!
It uses an off-the-peg Thomann cahon pedal which cost about £80 which I happened to have but it wouldn't be rocket science to doctor a double kick drum pedal.
This uses a 14" tom but you could easily adapt for 16". You'd need to watch the seat height though.
Made from 12mm birch ply.
2 bits the same front and back and 4 pieces for the side gates.
The drum locates on 2 pads of the suitable radius for the drum shell front and back with felt pads on to protect the shell and a rubber bungee over the top to hold secure. (You can see the hooks poking out from the lower holes)
The big hole just needs to be big enough to pass the drum through.
Of course, you don't necessarily have to make it collapsible which would make construction a lot easier - you could transport it with the drum intact.
Mostly cut out with a router ('cos I've got one) to make it look good but you could do the same just with a jigsaw, some sandpaper and elbow grease.
A bit of foam & leather-cloth to make a seat but you could just use a cushion.
There you go!! Enjoy!!

Attachments

• P1020032.JPG
    P1020032.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 1,115
  • P1020034.JPG
    P1020034.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,030
Gibraltar makes the most complete (and stunning looking) option imo:
1141686_43280_large.jpg

https://www.thomann.de/nl/gibraltar_sc_gck10_conversion_kit.htm?sid=4941d0800a753230fc22cf67d59c98ef

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_BLqu6jbyc

They come in 10mm and 12.7mm depending on the size of your floor tom bracket.

Adding a set of floor tom wood hoops would certainly add to the bass drum sound as you know it. I say floor tom because regular wood hoops are thicker and not all lugs except that extra angle of the rods (not to mention you need rods and claws too, that add up to the total price)

Stellar makes beautiful hoops but Gibraltar makes more generic and cheaper hoops.

I tried a search on this, so I apologize if this has already been discussed. I was wondering if anyone has experience turning a floor tom into a bass drum, how they did so, and about how much it cost them. I've currently got a 22" bass and it's just too much. I've got a 16" floor tom back home that I don't ever anticipate using as a floor tom again and I'd be willing to take a crack at turning it into a kick. So, if anyone has advice or a step-by-step, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much

I made this to get over the problem. Folds flat. 14in tom. Nice comfy seat!
i made thusing a Thomann cahon pedal with a 14in tom.

Attachments

• tomakahon.jpg
    tomakahon.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 2
Great project! Just thought I would note that you might find a used 16" or 18" bass drum at a good price if you're patient as well. I recently picked up a 20" Primer missing claws, tension rods, and heads for $26 (with a Rogers Swiv-o-matic pedal!) at a junk shop and got my 18" Catalina for $200 shipped a while back.

Granted, these options might be less fun than the conversation project.

Back