Combichrist drum/percussion sets

1Rhythmic

Hey ,

Does anyone know what's the percussion set the percussionist of Combichrist uses?
As far as i know , its a Ddrum set , but i don't understand what the set contains.
I mean , i see some rack toms , but as well some realy deep toms , and i don't understand if they are floor toms , as we know them , or some other type of drum.

You can see the video here .

Now , on another video , he seems to use floor tom over floor tom. At 1:30 here , you can see it.

I've never seen anything like it before.

One more question regarding the first video. Both drummers have "hanging" toms. Altough , it looks cool... is it practical? The toms seem to be a bit far away from the drummer , he probably have to stand up a little to hit them.

Ha! That video is hilarious. Makes me feel old... And I'm only 30. Looks like the guy whacking away on the far side of the stage was either playing a huge cocktail-type kit, or some dun-duns with a set of rack toms in front. The drum set player looks like he had retrofit some kind of rig to hold some remo drums. Don't know. Couldn't hear anything... Maybe that's because I had to mute it ;)

The one time I saw them, they had a woman playing some pintech pads, but most of the drums were on the backing tracks. I had no idea they had since added real drummers into the mix.

From the video it looks like it's just normal floor toms and rack toms.

Don't know about the vertical wall of extra deep toms, looks wierd and he didn't seem to use them at all. The cocktail setup looks interesting, though.

Drumming aside, these videos just prove that no matter how hard they try, no one ever really looks cool playing a keyboard.

From the examples shown, I've yet to see anyone looking cool playing keyboards.

Emerson was close, but I think it had more to to with the editing than him.

Also, is it just me or did anyone else feel a bit of Ministry in the Combichrist stuff?

Thanks for posting, Rhythmic. My guess on the 2nd vid is that the drummer either uses the stacked toms like a cocktail kit (where he'd have a pedal under the bottom tom hitting upwards), or he's just stacking them for the extra resonance, similar to using a woofer in front of a bass drum.

The one time I saw them, they had a woman playing some pintech pads, but most of the drums were on the backing tracks. I had no idea they had since added real drummers into the mix.

From the video it looks like it's just normal floor toms and rack toms.

That "woman" is a good friend of mine... I asked her about the combi-kit and her pads triggered samples from the bands albums. She also had a bunch of toms like in this video, and they are just there t add more boom and percussion like slipknot does.
The wall of toms the two drums had that run up the stage are more or less part of the set design.

Back