Tom Size in a 4 piece with a 24 inch kick?

piperdoog

Silver Member
If given the choice which tom rack to size would you go for with a 24 inch kick and a 16x16 floor?
A 12x9, or a 13x10?
Why?

Cheers

If given the choice which tom rack to size would you go for with a 24 inch kick and a 16x16 floor?
A 12x9, or a 13x10?
Why?

Cheers

13".

Too much separation with a 12x9.
IMO.

10, 13, 16 makes for a full spectrum of sounds with a minmalist kit. You can use a 13 as a floor tom too.

The stock catalog configuration a 24" bass and 16" floor would have been the 9x13 tom.

All the famous jazz kits back in the day were these sizes, from Gene Krupa, to Buddy, to Louie Bellson...but I believe Buddy ended his career with the same size toms but a 26" bass drum, and somebody had just built him a 28" bass drum right before he passed away.

And on the 12" tom size being too much of a spread, remember the great Andy Newmark (who came to fame playing for Sly and the Family Stone) was using the 24" bass and 16" floor, but preferred the smaller 8x12 as his one tom. He wanted it to be a big spread, so when you saw him from far away, you knew by sound what drum he was playing.

Charlie Watts also uses the 12" tom and 16" floor tom on his kit.

I just grew up having the 13" tom in that spot. Between the 12 and 13 for me, there wasn't that much of a difference. I noticed a difference when a friend of mine went with a 10" tom and the 16" floor, though!

I use a 24" kick on one of my kits & I go with a 12" instead of a 13" because when i was doing a triplet with the 13" tom it was hard to tell which drum I was hitting.

With the 12" tom like in previous posts there is better separation IMO but it all comes down too what sounds best too you. By the way all I ever play is 4-piece in case you was wondering.

Good Luck,
Bonzolead

I'm just going to echo the 9x13 sentiment. It's what I have hanging over my 14x24 so maybe that has something to do with it...

I also have an 8x12, but only seem to use it when I'm doing two rack toms - which isn't often. When I get sick of two racks, the 13 always comes off first (because I'm lazy like that) so I do the 12 for a while, but always end up switching to the 13 in the end.

I debated a 10x13 when I was ordering my kit, but I was just too nervous about it sitting too high to play comfortably.

I use a 12" rack with my 4 piece kit and my kick is also a 24". I really like the separation between the rack and the floor it just sounds funny to me if I tune the rack tom too high.

I noticed that many of my favorite 1 up 2 down players used a 13" rack like Bonzo and Phil Rudd. I suppose this may be to avoid a huge gap between the rack and the 18". I suppose this won't matter if you're sticking to a 4 piece.

I like a 13" tom with a 24" or larger bass drum. There's a certain timbre that you lose with a 12" tom or smaller that sounds good with the larger bass drum. On the converse, a 22" or 20" kick sounds good with either, but once you dip down to an 18" or smaller kick drum, you HAVE to have a 12" tom (or a 10" works well, too). Just my opinion...

I think with just that 4 piece, it'd have to be the 12" because i like quick tom fills and as mentioned, a 13" would slightly confuse me with the pitch difference. It sounds weird but i've heard similar situations before too.

IF, however, i had an 18" floor, then the rack would be a 13" because that other large drum. With a deep tone like that, i'd want to try and match it. A 14" would be taking it too far unless i had 18" and 20" floor toms. Not happening any time soon though.

xoxo

Not that it is a good barometer to measure which is best because I love both a 12 and a 13 (just not together). 2 years ago we were building 13" racks 4 to 1 over 12's. Now it is exactly the opposite. Dang near everyone wants a 12. My I do love the 13 with an 8" depth as opposed to 9. But that is just me.
with a 18" floor a 9x14 is magic.

What I'm running right now, is a 13x9, next to a 16x16. .....My 18x16 is on my left, and the kick is a 26x16.

Attachments

• php6oXywIAM.jpg
    php6oXywIAM.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 492
I agree w/ Caddy and others - 13" over a kick that big. A 13x9" isn't bad but I wanted just a *wee* bit more. I went w/ the following sizes:

24x16" kick
16x16" floor
13x10" tom
14x6.5" snare

It's only 1" but it *does* make a difference. It's a bit rounder sounding than my Classic Maple 13x9". The sustain is audibly longer, also.

Attachments

• DSC03922.jpg
    DSC03922.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 397
12" would be fine.

IMO it's the depth I'd be more concerned with. I would go with 7" depth for easier tom placement above virgin kick.

10, 13, 16 makes for a full spectrum of sounds with a minmalist kit. You can use a 13 as a floor tom too.

that's an interesting idea . I know that sound is the most important thing , but we have to admit that looks are also important in this business , and may be a 10" rack tom would look funny with a 24" bd .
I was wondering if you have a picture of a drum set with a 10" rack tom , and 13 and 16" floor toms

that's an interesting idea . I know that sound is the most important thing , but we have to admit that looks are also important in this business , and may be a 10" rack tom would look funny with a 24" bd .
I was wondering if you have a picture of a drum set with a 10" rack tom , and 13 and 16" floor toms

Kenny Aronoff has played a 24, 10,13, 16 for years with the 10" mounted to the right of his 13". Hasn't hurt his career. But it is a little different looking, I ask him about going from the 10 to the 13 to the floor. his response was what is the difference from a guy without the 10" and going from the 13" to the floor. Same difference. Same distance.

Back