Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin!

I have just purchased Rhythmic Visions and Illusions.
Although I have been playing for many years, I still feel my time is not the greatest (I am being very anal by saying that, however).

I know that there is 1) 'internal time' (my mind's concept of where the pulse is), and 2) what my body actually plays (e.g. the impediments created by poor technique - such as flaming a bass drum with a hi-hat sometimes, but not every time. Or, having a slightly inconsistent back beat, for example). For the former, I am working on Fred Dinkin's book (It's all about time). Re: the latter - sometimes I think I should just give up the drums.

I'm finding I love what you do, but it all just messes with my head!

I guess I would like some advice on how to go about all this stuff. I am quite a novice at your material, and find it difficult to hear the "a" state in your examples (even your egs. with the metronome).

I have a metronome, and a computer with Cubase. So you think I should program something into my computer to help start me off? (i.e., any suggestions of what to program in – other than a metronome?)

Also, when doing the more complex stuff, do you find that you sometimes get stuck in the "b" state while you play it, or when listening back to what you play? (or do you always know where you are)?

If not, then whoa! How the heck did you get such good time?

Warmest regards.

(and no questions about gear from me!)

Merry X-mas.

Andy

Last edited:
Hi nx1600,

anything new headed out, soon.... or possiblly touring in the states, any time soon !!

That's about it from PT for now. Did you get the 4 track ep "Nil Recurring"? It's the extra tracks from the Fear Of A Blank Planet sessions. Maybe next year there will be a live album released. Not sure yet. I'll be making a few shows with King Crimson in America next year and continue writing with 05ric.

Hi pubicmonkey,

I guess you'll have all been feeling a little worn down with the heavy touring though. Anyway, thanks to you and the guys for a great show, especially liked the little addition to Open Car.

Yes we're completely drained right now. What's the addition in Open Car? Do you mean the middle section that's not on the album?

Hi dwpaddy,

It was the late and very great Paul (Brookie) Brook, formerly of this very forum, who pointed me in your direction. I have this among many other things to thank Paul for.

Although I never met him - I understand he was a very nice chap indeed. Glad you enjoyed the show.

Hi gary191265,

what was it you found so funny during the start of 'Mellotron Scratch' ?

something was wrong with the sound of Steve's guitar - it just sounded funny to me.

Hi ac17,

Also, when doing the more complex stuff, do you find that you sometimes get stuck in the "b" state while you play it, or when listening back to what you play? (or do you always know where you are)?

I never get stuck in the B Status - because I always keep my mind in the A Status. You have to hear it as a completely new pattern and not as 'the really obvious one' it's disguising within. One of the best things that comes from practicing "Rhythmic Illusions" is that it will strengthen your sense of time and understanding of rhythm. Once you spend ten minutes trying to play a straight rock beat 1/16 out of it's normal place - and then go back and play it back in it's original position - it will feel so much better to you.
As I state in the book - it requires no chops to play this stuff - just a lot of brain power - and it's really worth giving the rhythmic brain a good workout - because that's where all your ideas come from.

You may find it useful to program the exercises into a computer - but you still have to hear them in their A Status.

good luck

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

What are your thoughts on making another instructional DVD sometime in the future? Is there any concept or theme you've come across that you'd wish to explore and make official on a DVD? I read somewhere that you like to chronical your work for personal reasons (so you won't forget all you've learned!), but your DVD's are simply great tools for us drummers out here. I certainly enjoy them and would buy another one.

Thanks
Jeff

hello Gavin!

thanks for your continuing inspiration and advice around here on Drummerworld, and in the drumming community in general!
my friend and I finished recording a small 3-track EP this past week, and i'd like to see what you think of the drum sound we ended up with - I've been playing for 13 months (since i bought my kit), and this is the first time i've recorded anything on a serious level.

here are 2 sample tracks (99% final mix, a few minor tweaks left)

Track 2 - very groove/fusion oriented, but with a very PT-ish vibe

Track 3 - much more of an Opeth type metal influence, with a different drumming style from the other track

If you can (people must bug you all the time about stuff like this), just let me know where i can focus on making improvements, and how you like the drum sound! here's a list of mics we used -

Neumann KM-183 (stereo pair)
Neumann KM-184
Shure MD421
Audix i5
Sennheiser SM57 (of course)
Audiotechnica something-or-other (ambient room mics)

take care gavin! thanks again for all the hard work you do!

P.S. - if these Putfile links don't work, our myspace is here - The Awakening

If you can (people must bug you all the time about stuff like this), just let me know where i can focus on making improvements, and how you like the drum sound!

I realise I'm not Gavin but those tracks sound superb to me- I can see where your influences are!

The only thing I noticed was your aux snare towards the end of the first track should be panned towards the front, it sounded a bit lopsided. Other than that, great stuff, really great. If you go commercial, I'd buy your music! Oh and, if you're playing like that after 13 months, then you have a bright future....

Gavin, just to say I've followed your career for a long time- since your Incognito appearance (I can remember the first time I heard "Metropolis" and just had to know who was creating that groove!), through Dizrhythmia and other projects. It's great to see you have found a long-term niche like PT.

I couldn't make the London gig so I drove up from down South for the UEA gig, and it was superb. You sounded like you were on an "Experimental" evening- lots of interesting diversions from the studio tracks. Sounded great and everything came off very well from my viewpoint. The green pac-men were especially enjoyable.....

Howdy Gavin,

I just wanted to thank you for a really great gig in nottingham the other day. It was my birthday and it just topped it off for me =)

Hope you had a good time, thanks again

sam x

Hi JeffV71

What are your thoughts on making another instructional DVD sometime in the future? Is there any concept or theme you've come across that you'd wish to explore and make official on a DVD?

Making a DVD or Book is such a big undertaking that I can only find the energy required every few years - and once I've got enough ideas that I think will make a good (interesting to me) product. I'm always thinking of rhythmic ideas and exploring them - most of which have appeared in the last two PT releases "Fear Of A Blank Planet" & "Nil Recurring" plus my new project with 05ric "Drop". To come up with really new fresh stuff (not just variations on the same old things) - some amount of time has to slip by for me to experience life and all the influences it brings.

Hi xopethx,

If you can (people must bug you all the time about stuff like this), just let me know where i can focus on making improvements, and how you like the drum sound!

It sounds really good - if a little unbelievable for someone who has only been playing 13 months!! Nice ideas over interesting music. The snare sounds really good - it seems that the first two toms are buzzing a lot from sympathetic vibration from the snares. Were some of the crash/splash cymbals overdubbed?
Was there some editing of the drum tracks after you recorded your parts?

cheers
Gavin

Hi xopethx,

It sounds really good - if a little unbelievable for someone who has only been playing 13 months!! Nice ideas over interesting music. The snare sounds really good - it seems that the first two toms are buzzing a lot from sympathetic vibration from the snares. Were some of the crash/splash cymbals overdubbed?
Was there some editing of the drum tracks after you recorded your parts?

cheers
Gavin

wow thanks for the quick response, and compliment :-D you've pretty much made my week. I agree with the snare buzz problem - in the rush to prepare for the recording, i tuned things a bit differently that i'm used to, and switched from the Sonor 24-strand snare wires to some puresound custom-20s. I think the combination of those items was a bad call in relation to the timing of things. I'm finding, much like you've said, that it takes a tremendous amount of experimenting on that snare in order to get it juuuust right.

I didn't record everything in one take, but there shouldn't be any audible cuts, and nothing was overdubbed. Was there anything that jumped out at you? The hi-hat accents when i'm crashing seem to be a tad loud, now that you mention overdubs...
Also, there was minimal editing, using Beat Detective. the entire ending of the 2nd song, we decided to leave untouched, for that 70's raw feel. As far as mixing, our engineer used the Waves SSL4000 eq/compression.

Once again, thanks for taking time to check out my playing! Also, my guitarist was wondering if you'd be able to snag Steven for a minute and let him hear some of our material :-D It'd mean worlds to both of us.

edit : here's our first track - Prodigal (tentative title)

-chris

Last edited:
Hi xopethx,

I didn't record everything in one take, but there shouldn't be any audible cuts, and nothing was overdubbed. Was there anything that jumped out at you? The hi-hat accents when i'm crashing seem to be a tad loud, now that you mention overdubs...
Also, there was minimal editing, using Beat Detective.

Yes I can hear Beat Detective working, plus there's a few odd clicks that tell me there's been some edits going on. The trick to getting rid of snare buzz is to first make sure the tom (or toms in question) aren't close in pitch to the snare drum. You can easily hear it when you turn the snares off and just listen to the pitch of the snare drum against the toms. Second is to not have badly fitted or too loose snares - which is one of the reasons why I cut my Puresounds down to just 8 strands. You can also try loosening the lugs either side of the snare bed.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I just wanted to clarify whether you did a 'live' recording with Level 42 (as mentioned on your Drummerworld front page). It doesn't get a mention in your recordings list on your website. If the album is out there I'd love to hear it.

Many thanks

Mike

Hi Gavin!

I saw you yesterday in Helsinki and the show was amazing, one of the best gigs of my life. Even though I know that you were tired because of the long tour, it didn't sound (nor look) like it! Your playing was tight and really grooving and I really liked the improvisation you had going on there.

In my opinion, your drumkit is very good-looking and -sounding. For more, cymbals suit you well when they're on top of your head. So, was there a crack in the crash or were you just switching it to get a different sound?

Anyway, thanks again and have a nice last show of the tour in Tampere!

Hi mixamuss,

I just wanted to clarify whether you did a 'live' recording with Level 42

Yes and no. We did record the show but it was never officially released...but I understand that it's out there as a bootleg. In fact if you look back a few pages on this thread you'll see a link to it.

Hi Ailmour,

For more, cymbals suit you well when they're on top of your head. So, was there a crack in the crash or were you just switching it to get a different sound?

thanks - I had broken it so I went to change it and suddenly thought it might look good on my heads as a improvised hat. Glad you enjoyed the show - we've never been so tired and fatigued as we are now.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

i got some question to ask about your Recording Room. It seems to be complete out of wood, with a very high top. Is the wood at the bottom a special one (Bubinga or Teak for example?). On your website there ´re only two small pictures, which show not everything.

Do you have some digital pictures of the whole Room with your fully miked up Drumset? It would be very interesting to see, how you set the mikes, where to position the Drumset and what the whole room looks like.

I met you at German MUSIKMESSE Frankfurt, spring 2007 (saturday at the Sonor Autograph-Session) and saw you with Porcupine Tree at the Capitol Offenbach, Germany (30.06.2007) - what a wonderful Concert!

Please Rock on...

Greets Jens

thanks - I had broken it so I went to change it and suddenly thought it might look good on my heads as a improvised hat. Glad you enjoyed the show - we've never been so tired and fatigued as we are now.

Cheers
Gavin

Was it the crash over your 12" tom, I saw you check that one out on the Amsterdam gig on December 5th.

Do you alreay now the songs you have to learn for KC?
What's your routine for learning 'odd' material, do you just listen to it and then play along or do you write it out or just a guide sheet.

Hi Gavin.

Good show in Helsinki saturday. Your playing was just as great as I expected.

I wanted to ask you how you felt about the room? I was sitting in the mid section from your left and the lower frequencies (espescially your kick drum) were resonating pretty badly from the concrete. How did it sound to you? I understand that the ticket demand was very high, so they had to move you to that building, but that place is known to have very difficult acoustic qualities. How did your sound guys feel about it?

Anyway, it was great to get to see you live.

Hi Gavin.

Good show in Helsinki saturday. Your playing was just as great as I expected.

I wanted to ask you how you felt about the room? I was sitting in the mid section from your left and the lower frequencies (espescially your kick drum) were resonating pretty badly from the concrete. How did it sound to you?

Yeah, the place is quite bad. I was about in the 6th row from Steven and it sounded just perfect there but I know that it's getting messy when you're a little more far away from the stage.

Back