Are they the drums you really want?

My question on the Peace kit is this....... Are they building anything of that quality for the average person?

Certainly these are living proof of just that since i'm no famous big name player. It's just that the opportunity came into my hands for a rare smaller jazz version of their Kahuna 9 ply bubinga drums and I jumped on the opportunity since the company was not sure when {and if} the next ones in these sizes would be available as a production item again so I was told. Couldn't be happier with this decision to have done that and have this great high quality Peace production bubinga jazz kit. No lost opportunity here...

For regular series more readily available production drums from Peace the Peace Custom 9 ply Canadian rock maple Paragons can be custom made to whatever you wish {sizes and finishes}. I've seen and played these up close and they are seriously top notch all the way and an off the shelf available item to anyone so to speak. The larger sizes Kahuna 9 ply bubinga kits are more readily available production drums i've heard too. Same excellent quality as mine just larger drums.

Last edited:
I'm kidding, of course. The Gretsch build quality, Renowns & up is terrific, so you cant really go wrong either way.
Unfortunately there are some top end drums with questionable builds, but these 2 aren't them.

A good deal IS the way to go.............( pssst, Y..m..h..; )

One other thing that I'm looking for is a virgin kick. Does Yamaha have a Virgin maple custom kick in a 20x16 size?

The kit that I have in mind that I'm hopefull one day I'll own one is made on the land of Oz. Yeah you guessed right.

Kit_Blackheart_04.jpg

But there's competion in the house from south american drum maker Odery...

transp_black_bronze.jpg

and competition from UK, with Highwood Drums & Percussions

DSCF0221.jpg

& snare

DSCF0287.jpg

DSCF0020.jpg

Also as for snare drums, I'd would have my own personalised one from AK in Italy.

120_7_standard_triumphal.jpg

and

47_4_standard_fröde5x140001.JPG

Maybe I would get them all...

I asked myself that question and decided that I couldn't find the drums I really wanted, so I built them myself. That, I think, is probably what I'll do for most of my future drum sets, just because I know what I'm getting exactly. Here's my kit that I built myself, for anyone who hadn't seen it before.

Attachments

• RDCD Take One 010 DW.jpg
    RDCD Take One 010 DW.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 2,870
  • RDCD Take One 012 DW.jpg
    RDCD Take One 012 DW.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 4,093
  • RDCD Take One 025 DW.jpg
    RDCD Take One 025 DW.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 2,752
  • RDCD Take One 016 DW.jpg
    RDCD Take One 016 DW.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 2,784
Remember the fantasy is a 'blank check' meaning you'd have the cake to get anything out of the manufacture you want. You could have Yamaha cut 30 degree edges on an MC kit with a virgin kick, a Bubinga Temple set, whatever, etc. You don't have to choose just whatever someones offering in their catalog.

Drum sets would be made with the companies own components, you could request and receive modified components. Like my rant about Ludwig lug's as an example, so if I chose Ludwig's-whatever, I would get cast steel lugs, shells any colour etc. etc.

In addition to my delites, the set i want to have before i die is a sonor lite in scandinavian birch finish (probably 20 12 14 + the matching 14" snare).
There's a bunch of snares i'd want though, Black beauties, supraphonics, acrolites, sonor artists, craviottos, dunnets, in all kinds of sizes, depths and materials!

...I am pretty happy with these.

And these

and these

these too.

Out of all of these, my faves are the ones in the first pic.

Barry

Last edited:
I'd go for a stave kit from Lignum drums in Scandinavian birch with their wood hoops in natural (unstained) finish.

My ideal sizes would be 22x16, 10x8, 13x9, 16x14 with a 14x6 main snare and a 12x5 side snare.

These pics are just for reference of Lignum's craftsmanship.

Attachments

• f_IM000852.jpg
    f_IM000852.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 2,741
  • f_Dsc00483.jpg
    f_Dsc00483.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 2,652
  • f_Dsc00422.jpg
    f_Dsc00422.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 2,749
Yes, I can say I have my "Dream Kit" put together, with the addition of 9x12 tom and 13x15 ft options coming soon...enough great sounding drums to put together different smaller kits, or all at once for a cool big kit.

crashstand.jpg

OverheadRS.jpg

But if I could have anything.....

I'd still have Ludwig (and their lugs are just fine haha!--good debate though).

I'd have a Stainless Steel kit...in all the sizes I use now.

I'd also have the same kit in Natural Maple vintage 3 ply with rings.
And one in a Black chrome finish--Black Chrome wrap or Black Plated SS would be fine...all sizes of course.

I'd get a couple 70's 6.5 engraved BB's and a couple 70's 6.5 Supras, all with brass hoops....and I'd have some Chrome plated Brass straight hoops made and make Pearl offer the straight hoop Stick Saver cast pieces again (DO IT PEARL!!!! I meant it!!!)

I'd also have a couple of the Craviato CON snares-in both sizes.

And one of those old Wind Gongs that have the stripes in it in a 28 or 30" size with a custom gong stand!

I have a 28" Wuhan Wind Gong, but those old ones with the stripes just look cool....but I am looking for a cool gong stand in Chrome--has to be Chrome.

There's more that would be cool to have, but why be greedy haha!

If I could DO anything, I'd be on the production design team at Ludwig to make sure their new hardware is as kick ass as possible, be streamlined, modern, and look cool--with lots of add ons.

That way I'd get the drums and all the cool new hardware for free....

...If Karl gets his other dream Luddies, I want his old ones.

Another evil plan a brewin. I still have not given up entirely on this one up two down thing, but I found that something was not quite right with my 13, 14, 16 tom set up. I love the 13-16 combo, and the 12-14 combo, so I thought that I would try the 12-14-16 combo. So far, I like this combo, with my 24 " bass.

Now I am thinking of picking up a 15x13" floor tom and matching it up with the 18" bass, and 13" tom. 18-13-15 should make for one nasty little kit.

barry

Last edited:
Yes, I can say I have my "Dream Kit" put together, with the addition of 9x12 tom and 13x15 ft options coming soon...enough great sounding drums to put together different smaller kits, or all at once for a cool big kit.

crashstand.jpg

OverheadRS.jpg

But if I could have anything.....

I'd still have Ludwig (and their lugs are just fine haha!--good debate though).

I'd have a Stainless Steel kit...in all the sizes I use now.

I'd also have the same kit in Natural Maple vintage 3 ply with rings.
And one in a Black chrome finish--Black Chrome wrap or Black Plated SS would be fine...all sizes of course.

I'd get a couple 70's 6.5 engraved BB's and a couple 70's 6.5 Supras, all with brass hoops....and I'd have some Chrome plated Brass straight hoops made and make Pearl offer the straight hoop Stick Saver cast pieces again (DO IT PEARL!!!! I meant it!!!)

I'd also have a couple of the Craviato CON snares-in both sizes.

And one of those old Wind Gongs that have the stripes in it in a 28 or 30" size with a custom gong stand!

I have a 28" Wuhan Wind Gong, but those old ones with the stripes just look cool....but I am looking for a cool gong stand in Chrome--has to be Chrome.

There's more that would be cool to have, but why be greedy haha!

If I could DO anything, I'd be on the production design team at Ludwig to make sure their new hardware is as kick ass as possible, be streamlined, modern, and look cool--with lots of add ons.

That way I'd get the drums and all the cool new hardware for free....

Beautiful set up Karl! love it.

I'd go for a stave kit from Lignum drums in Scandinavian birch with their wood hoops in natural (unstained) finish.

My ideal sizes would be 22x16, 10x8, 13x9, 16x14 with a 14x6 main snare and a 12x5 side snare.

These pics are just for reference of Lignum's craftsmanship.

Those wooden hoops are the greatest!

Barry, a 13x15 is an EXCELLENT size drum for a FT!

If a DW 13x15 only sounded half as good as the 13x15 Ludwig I have, you'll really love it (and that's not a dig at DW, one's not "better" than the other--and your kits look great!).

The 13x15 is ballsy, without being "too big", but big enough not to sound weak or "not enough".

You could easily use it as the "only floor tom" and not really miss your 16--especially having it on the 18" bass drum set up.

And 13-15 still has really good separation.

I used to have a 13-15-16 and sound sep was fine between the15 & 16 as well, and they were not top line drums back then.

I use one on my Black (Ludwig, Long Lug) kit, and it 's just a great sounding drum.

I plan to get one for the Red Sparkle kit too.

...Here's another evil thought...
What if you ran a 12-15-18 on your 24" kick kit.....

I also love your 13's with the mounts on the tom, bet they sound great....and I like the rail mount look too.
I'd have mine that way, but it puts the tom higher than I want it (dang it!).

Thanks guy's on the nice words on my kit.

...Karl.

Thanks for the advice, and the comps on the kits. I only ever played one Bonham sized floor tom set up, and found that the two toms were too big for me to get at comfortably. If I were to go for an 18" floor tom, I would probably want to match it with a 14x10" rack tom and stay with a four piece.

I like the 12, 14, 16, as I get better seperation between those three than I did with the 13, 14, 16. I love the 13" tom, but it is a little too close to the 14. To tune both of those toms to a pleasing interval throws the 16 out a little. The 13 will add some balls to the 18" bass. I have heard really good things about 15" floor toms in general, but aside from smacking a few on in store kits, I have never played one. I have some gift card bonus money from work, so I think that it will go towards the tom.

I really like the rails mounts as well. I was a little leary about having the mounts directly on the shell, but Slingerland, Ludwig, Gretsch, Rogers etc all had their toms mounted like that, and they still sound great. Wheather I lose some resonance or not, who cares. I don't think that I will drill the twelve though.

Once again Karl, thanks for the reply, and I will swap you my tiger ash kit for your red sparklies anytime.

Barry

IT'S WIERD MAN! I can't believe it, I love both kits and will end up getting both but for the meantime....this is tough! I don't know anymore! Whatever one i can get a better deal on through my work i guess will be the winner as i'm already tight for cash.

Is it just me, or guys who love Yamaha love Gretsch and vice-versa? I noticed this between fans of both of those brands.

On the topic, I would probably get a yamaha absolute hybrid kit with beech toms in 8",10"12",14", and 16", with a 20x18 maple bass drum, a 14x5.5 Roy Haynes signature snare, and a 13x3.5 David David Garibaldi snare to the left of my hats. The finish would be either vintage or sea blue.

This kit would be heaven for me. =)

Good luck then :p

the beech line is discontinued, so to find it in the prefered colours and sizes could be a long time project.
the garibaldi only comes in 14x3,5

only the RH is still sold and on ebay.

Good luck :p

So I guess my ideal drums would be a sonor sq2 with those same specs. =p

Back