Ludwig Snare Find....worth anything?

Roy E. Munson

Found this today picking. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Worth anything? I paid 50 for it. Needs a lot of work. Very Dirty. Strainer is broken. I believe its a 76 or 77? Thanks for looking.
Serial #: 958068

Attachments

• asdfasdf.jpg
    asdfasdf.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 305
  • snare1.jpg
    snare1.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 282
  • adsfdfd.jpg
    adsfdfd.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 286
  • asdfdsfd.jpg
    asdfdsfd.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 281
  • snare2.jpg
    snare2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 281
  • snare3.jpg
    snare3.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Everything about this screams "not quite right". The badge is way lower than a typical Ludwig B/O badge, which would have the word "Ludwig" centered on the shell, not the grommet. The snare throwoff looks like the same cheaper import type of throwoff used on their Accent lines to me. An authentic Jazz Festival would have either a P-83 or a P-85 depending on the year.

On the other hand, it's 3-ply and 8 lugs, if it sounds good it might be worth 50 bones. Just it's not necessarily a great deal on a real Jazz Festival.

ya damn....couple other things ive noticed upon tearing down and cleaning is the drillings on the inside bottom portion of the shell have been shaved to fit the washers. Also the shell is out of round as you can see in the pictures. is it ok to sand down myself to get her flat? There is no date or stamp inside the shell as well. Here is a couple more pics....

Attachments

• adsfsdfd.jpg
    adsfsdfd.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 248
  • dfdfdf.jpg
    dfdfdf.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 247
That shell looks like a quality shell from yesteryear, and the lugs are Ludwig.The throw off and badge look suspicious. I bet it's still worth 50 though.

It appears to me to have been larger and cut down. The re-rings look different from each other as if the bottom one has been added and the drum re-wrapped. The reason for the low badge.

With the weird badge placement and the goofy re-rings on the bottom, it looks like a 14" floor tom that was cut down.

My guess would be a 14x10, that was cut down.​

Altered marching snare,but still a 3 ply maple/poplar/maple.Sound should be similar to a jazz festival..Fifty is a little on the high side,considering the shoe maker alteration.

Steve B

What John, Harry and Steve said. The one re ring looks different.

Thank you all for the great info. much appreciated. I went to GC today and bought some new heads, wires, p85, and washers. she cleaned up pretty well, and sounds great. I ended up sanding the edges as well. my first ever "restoration" if it can be called that? the guy told me he has the rest of the kit buried in his garage and I'm going to check it out Saturday. I really enjoyed the entire cleanup/fixing process, so if I can get it at a cheap price, I think ill jump on it. not sure if I am wasting time and money, but again it was a really enjoyable way to kill a day and a 130.00 overall bucks.

Attachments

• adfcxbvn.jpg
    adfcxbvn.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 124
  • dfdfdfdfdfdfdf.jpg
    dfdfdfdfdfdfdf.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 127
  • tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 124
  • ghkjl.jpg
    ghkjl.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 123
You did a great justice for that snare. It looks good as new and as long as it sound good to you than that was money well spent. Anxious to hear about the rest of the set.

Back