Just starting at 53 and will need all the help I can get!

Honestly, you will sound better if you swap your purchasing model around.

Spend GBP300 on drums and GBP700 on cymbals.

You can thank me later. :)

James is absolutely right.

A well-made drum kit that will respond to a range of tunings is relatively inexpensive in this day and age and £300 will buy you a decent kit second-hand. You can change the sound of drums trivially but you can't trivially change the sound of cymbals. You can do things like apply tape but to radically alter them, you're talking a World of complications that aren't usually worth it.

Buy the cymbals once. That's where more of your money should be spent.

Thanks again guys. Let's see what my time in Istanbul brings. Just hope I have the time to visit the factory. I am there to work. Pah!

:D

Yes Mart, it's normal. The only cure is that you need to go buy drum stuff, and then, . . . . .it comes back again!!! Trust me, I've been having this problem for a little over thirty years with these things, and it hasn't gone away yet. I doubt it ever will.

is that what it is?
DRUM LUST?
well..... i have it now
dammmm.....
I like it :)
when i was younger playing in bands , i always had a respect for the drummer,
its even stronger now. drummers are the heart of music

Here's 2 rival suggestions for your first cymbals:

1. Buy cheap second hand round objects. They will cost peanuts and you can recoup your peanuts when you sell them.

2. By Zildjian A's or A Customs, and buy them second hand too. You may not like them, but you will always be able to get your money back on them. And they are good cymbals, that everybody has heard of.

My first "nice" cymbals where UFiP Supernovas. Fortunately I love the crash, and I like (but don't acshly love) the ride. I lost heaps selling the hats because, although they are good, nobody knows them.

Chances are, even if you buy objectively good cymbals as your firsts, you may not like them, and want something else.

Oh, and you are about to encounter words to describe the sounds of cymbals. Dry, dark, bright, washy, trashy, warm, shimmery, smoky. No, I don't really understand them either. Distilling the complex sounds of a cymbal into one word is like trying to decide what colour a food tastes like.

having seen your most recent post: Woo hoo, that's exciting! Enjoy your shopping, I am jealous!

Istanbul Mehmet have also offered a factory visit and purchase trip.

Why have I never thought of going to Istanbul on holiday?

On second thoughts, perhaps a DW field trip might be in order :D

Mart, we shall all want a full and comprehensive report when you get back!

Mart, we shall all want a full and comprehensive report when you get back!

Will do. Just hope my trip allows me the time to take them up on their offer. I should be there for a couple of weeks so fingers crossed. My only issue is that my free time will be mostly at weekends - wonder if they work then?

Oh, and you are about to encounter words to describe the sounds of cymbals. Dry, dark, bright, washy, trashy, warm, shimmery, smoky. No, I don't really understand them either. Distilling the complex sounds of a cymbal into one word is like trying to decide what colour a food tastes like.

I'm sure, if I get to visit the Istanbul cymbal makers, I'll tell you that I struck this one and it went "ding" I then struck that one and that went "ding" too! In fact all of them when struck went "ding"!

Last edited:
Mehmets are great cymbals. I have 6 Mehmets, 2 Agops, and 1 pre-split. I also have 8 Masterwork, and 1 Buzin (comparable brands). Try out as many as you can, and find out what series you really like. Build from there.​
You seem to really want those Yamaha Stage Customs. Nice drums. They're an excellent first kit. Might well be the only kit you'll ever need.​

Be aware that Honey Amber is VERY orange.

One of my previous kits was honey amber and it was like....WHOA my eyes.

Beautiful though.

Personally I'd go for a one up one down tom arrangement if I were just starting out....but enjoy.

Cymbals-wise...you can get some really good bargains on Gumtree. Especially if you search for different mis-spellings of cymbal....

All the best

Martin (45, and I'm in Manchester and still playing original punk rock music. Never too old mate)

You seem to really want those Yamaha Stage Customs. Nice drums. They're an excellent first kit. Might well be the only kit you'll ever need.

It's a lust thang. I wasn't sure it'd show tho... :D

Be aware that Honey Amber is VERY orange.

Martin (45, and I'm in Manchester and still playing original punk rock music. Never too old mate)

Very orange eh? Maybe I should consider the natural wood version. I'll see them in the flesh and decide.

Manchester eh? Martin too! Might bump into you at some point. If I'm about I may go to the drum show. I've also swapped a few emails with the Manchester Drum Centre. You any experience of them?

This thread is close to my heart. I started playing at 53, got a teacher, have worked with rudiments, rock and jazz books, and aim to improve and learn something new every day. Like any new skill, it takes time.
It's a fun instrument to play, and although it has time parameters, there's a lot of freedom with it.
I will say this about cymbals, if you get cheap, they will sound harsh on the ear, and you will develop quite a distaste for them.
It's nice to see I'm not the only old geezer learning to play drums.

This thread is close to my heart. I started playing at 53, got a teacher, have worked with rudiments, rock and jazz books, and aim to improve and learn something new every day. Like any new skill, it takes time.
It's a fun instrument to play, and although it has time parameters, there's a lot of freedom with it.
I will say this about cymbals, if you get cheap, they will sound harsh on the ear, and you will develop quite a distaste for them.
It's nice to see I'm not the only old geezer learning to play drums.

Hey, just keep on keeping on, my north of the border brotha. Age, race, whatever, doesn't matter when it comes to music or playing an instrument. We all share the same love for what we do, and the barriers are non existent.

Very orange eh? Maybe I should consider the natural wood version. I'll see them in the flesh and decide.

Manchester eh? Martin too! Might bump into you at some point. If I'm about I may go to the drum show. I've also swapped a few emails with the Manchester Drum Centre. You any experience of them?

VERY bright orange. Mine was a Mapex. I can't speak for Yammies. You'd probably be as well trying to catch a set in the flesh. Or just do what I always do and say "sod it" and go with the ride.

I purchased my Mapex Honey Amber kit from Manchester Drum Centre by coincidence. Way back they were superb. I haven't been in for a while but they have a very good reputation.

I stopped going in because they stopped stocking Sonor equipment for some reason and I was big into Sonor a few years back. Since then I just pick up what I need off the Internet. Nice fellers there though, and very knowledgable and informative (assuming same people still in situ).

Good luck with your drumming education. You are doing absolutely the right thing. The only cautionary word I can possibly extend, from a complete amateur, albeit whose pretty much always been involved with bands (apart from a first wife enforced holiday)......learning rudiments is really, like REALLY, boring. And I know, I absolutely know that you'll get all the grognards on here now telling me I'm wrong, and coming up with all manner of perfectly good, sensible, and logical reasons to really get stuck into the rudiments.....

But....it's boring.

Drum lessons...are to a large extent boring to. No. Really. They just are. You have to do what you're told. Go away and read stuff. And practice. zzzzzzz. Drums ain't about doing what you're told and going back to school :) Wanna be a geek, get a guitar. Or a bass. Bassists are mega-geeky about their instruments.

What ISN'T boring....is getting your hands on a kit and smacking drums around and creating noise, beats, and ultimately with other people creating MUSIC which is surely the sole purpose of hitting the things in the first place.

So...Don't JUST focus on learning the rudiments. Unless you're some kind of higher sensory human being you'll get bored of it.

These are just my thoughts. It's gotta be fun. Unless it's a job I guess. Which I presume it won't be for you. Fun all the way. And if you're so inclined your primary aim ought to be to get yourself into a band, or onto the jam scene, as soon as conceivably possible. The stuff you will learn, at 53, just be getting out to some pub jam nights and sitting up and playing a cover of I Saw Her Standing There....priceless. And the people you'll meet, generally, also priceless

Thanks again for your input guys - it's good to know I'm not alone in starting my journey relatively late in life.

One of the reasons for going the rudiments way is that, as a part of my job (I'm involved in the transfer of airliners from one airline to the next) I spend a lot of time away from home in hotels. As such the pad and sticks will always be in my suitcase from now on in. OK it might drive my hotel room occupants adjoining me nuts but hey, such is life eh? :)

I'm going to be back in the UK in the next few weeks and will probably pick up a kit then. However, as I travel so much, I'm hoping my RealFeel and Vic Firths will help me learn whilst not having the luxury of having my kit with me. It'd cost a fortune to have them with me on my travels. If only excess baggage charges were not so high, dag nabbit!

Hey, just keep on keeping on, my north of the border brotha. Age, race, whatever, doesn't matter when it comes to music or playing an instrument. We all share the same love for what we do, and the barriers are non existent.

Cheers to my southern brother !

I'll be in Vancouver in June. Is that north of the border? :)

Back