I'm getting into this now

Hey Bo, how has this new discovery and interest in this kind of playing been so far? Are you still practicing this stuff and did you get that double pedal?

I got inspired by your thread and new found enthusiasm and started getting into this myself. I got a double pedal already in 2012 but never practiced much until very recently when I finally decided that I need to have some double bass skills in my arsenal as well. It was just tough to get the practice routine started when all other areas of my playing all light years ahead of using both feet on the kick. But I swallowed my pride and started working on it.

Then I saw this thread and as result I'm also now practicing my blast beats and singles around the kit every day, and I have to say that it is becoming highly addictive to me. Never knew that such a sports-like approach to drumming would be so appealing to me, but there's something so fascinating about the fact that my speed, power and stamina are increasing so rapidly, and it's so easy to track the progress and see the results. Who knows, maybe I'll secure some work with some metal band in the near future if I can keep this up for a while - that would something new to me :)

Also bought Derek Roddy's blast beat DVD and have to say that I'm very impressed. The DVD definitely delivers and Derek has become such a versatile and skilled drummer - who would've believed 10 years ago when his first blast videos went viral on the internet? This is like completely different artist behind the kit and needless to say, the DVD contains a large amount of useful material for anyone interested in this kind of drumming.

Now if I could only find some music that includes this kind of drumming but isn't ruined by the vocals... I just can't stand the death metal stuff and the growling vocals that sound only comical and annoying to me. Ideally, I'm looking for something where the vocals are done in the same way as Chuck Schuldiner used to approach them with Death, especially on the albums Human, Individual Thought Patterns and Symbolic. Been a huge fan of those records (as well as Hoglan and Reinert) for years - that's the kind of aggressiveness and power I'm looking for as far as composition and the approach to vocals go. All suggestions are welcome!

Hi and thanks for asking!

I did get a Pearl Demonator double pedal set along with my new incoming Pearl set. To be honest, I've yet to attach the pedal to anything yet. I've been quite busy working and covering the show choirs gigs I'm doing, I haven't really had free time until I get home really late in the evening. I've really been using my new Pearl Demon Direct Drive single pedal though - it's been the best pedal I've played in a long time, very smooth and light under the foot - I love it! I sometimes wish I got the Demon double pedal, but it's quite an expensive piece of kit!

To solve the practicing problem, I have coming in from Pearl two of those bass drum practice pads they make. I have two spare Tama Iron Cobra Jr. pedals lying around unused now so my intention is to set-up a little practice corner with those bass pads and a snare drum pad and throne so I can practice quietly either late at night or early in the morning. But I intend to bring the double pedal out with me to my next rock n roll gig coming up just to have. So I'm working out alot of logistical and ergonomic issues before I really jump into it - like how high my throne should be, etc.,....but I'm waiting for the rest of my Pearl stuff to come in and then I can set the kit up to its optimal way for me.

I'm getting into a Bill Bruford set-up with the hi-hat dead center in front of me, which will allow me to sit lower and balanced for the double pedals. So that will hopefully happen by the top of next week!

Hi Bo,

I was wanting to ask you how much (if any) better you found the Demon Drives than the Demonators, or what you found the main differences to be?
I have a centre-set double pedal made out of a pair of Demonator doubles, and I'm thinking about doing the same with some Demon Drives. It's a bigger investment this time so any information you can share comparing the two would be very appreciated.

Hi Bo,

I was wanting to ask you how much (if any) better you found the Demon Drives than the Demonators, or what you found the main differences to be?
I have a centre-set double pedal made out of a pair of Demonator doubles, and I'm thinking about doing the same with some Demon Drives. It's a bigger investment this time so any information you can share comparing the two would be very appreciated.

Hmm. I'm not sure if I'd be the guy to ask this question because what I did was make the Demon Drive feel very close to the demonators, which feel very close to my old Tama Iron Cobra Jr's, which feel very close to older DW5000, which is really the old Camco pedals.

That said, if you did it, you'd have the the most adjustable and heavy duty centre-set double pedals ever made. I really like the Demon Drive, but since I have it feeling very close to the other pedals, I marvel at its looks more than anything else. The infinite adjustments is another plus!

Here's something for you guys to check out and, I feel it's a necessity for understanding and making sense of all the notes going by.

http://derekroddy.com/Dereks_Link_Folder/Seminole1.mov

I haven't heard any of my peers mention this at all.

Maybe they haven't thought about it this way but, It's been a very important way of thinking for me to play all these notes and, have the listener understand what's going on... to give a little "feel" to all these notes.

It'll make a lot more sense after watching the video.

John....you're in this one. haha.

D
I was gonna say who is the fat man in the Zildjian shirt? Did I sign a release. lol

Back