Identification of kit

AC3D

I'm a guitarist who recently bought a drumming kit trough a local variant of ebay, and have been playing for a bit now.

now that I've been playing for a while i'd like to know what exactly it is that i bought.
when i bought it the kit came with 2 hanging toms by Thunder (they're late 80s i think).

the rest of the kit look alike and all have a celluloid wrap, which has been damaged at multiple places. i'm guessing this part of the kit is from the early 80s because of the 2002 18" crash (serial number 023972) i got with the kit and the TAMA hihat machine and kickpedal.

the kit looks like it's been tinkered with a lot. i noticed a small Ludwig sticker inside of the kick, but it looks like it doesnt belong there.

what i'd like to know is what brand the floor-tom, snare and kick are from.

here are some images of the kit:
Ij1pIkB.jpg

8uy0NE1.jpg

H2j20oB.jpg

5ur9No4.jpg

2hwzkYt.jpg

popZHQO.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum. I don't have any info on your drums, never even heard of Thunder drums, but I'm nominating your term "hi hat machine" for the DrummerWorld dictionary lol. It's pretty funny. And the term "drumming kit" is not bad either. Sorry, you probably don't know what I'm talking about. Hang around enough and you'll see we have some proprietary terms here, and without even knowing about it, you may have already contributed. It depends if it catches on or not. So thanks for that and welcome. I'm sure someone here can help time date your set.

haha, I'm dutch, so i just made a guess at the right names for them, i suppose it should be hihat stand or something likewise?

No, it's hi hat machine. That's perfect just like that lol.. Just be yourself, you're already awesome lol. They used to be called hi hat stands but you may have changed all that now.

Hi there, it looks like what you have is one of a few million nameless or minor-brand made-in-Asia kits produced in the late 70's and early 80's. It seems that your drums in the white pearl wrap were made specifically as Ludwig copies (thus the trapezoidal "badge" on the kick drum), but none of the fittings are genuine Ludwig. They certainly didn't make any "wood-fiberglass" drums that I'm aware of with those lugs. It's certainly not a bad kit to learn on (I don't think there's any such thing as a bad kit to learn on), and your 2002 cymbal, if authentic, is probably worth hanging on to.

Have fun, learn how to tune 'em properly, and welcome to drumming.

Its a good name, hi hat machine. Some drummers are indeed a real 'machine' on their hi hats.

Wow..real mash up you have there.The wood/fiberglass shell thing,and that badge was a Pearl drums 70's thing.Like has been said,your drums are just one of many imports made in Taiwan/China/Japan kits using Pearl like parts and inexpensive luan shells.Than dosen't mean they can't sound good.With proper tuning and good heads,they can sound pretty good.It's all up to you....best of luck,and welcome to the forum.

Steve B

I agree with the consensus that it's an old 60's/70's MIJ kit, and that it was probably a Ludwig copy.

My recommendation is to clean it up, tune it up, and play it. Understand that it's not an expensive kit, but it is super neat.

The fact that the wood is so old is a great thing for drum shell resonance.

Back