Frankenstein kits.....mad scientists rejoice

Teslaa

I was reading an old thread about mixing drum brands, where the consensus appeared to be 'ok/good for everything but the drums'. With the exception of one or two, the notion of different tubes disgusts many drummers both aesthetically and sonically.

As a new drummer myself, I actually play on a set composed of some intermediate and some beginner-level shells. Now I happen to like the look of a haphazard kit. E.g.:
220px-Billy_Martin_wiki.jpg

Mine is not quite a looker though. Moreover, the sound is off. I don't have well-developed ears or tuning abilities but I'm pretty sure these tubes will never quite blend together.

Of course, sound is the number one thing. I've been given the advice to just buy a complete kit, but I feel it is actually a good opportunity to learn about sounds and whatnot. Down the line if I buy a full kit I want to know what I like. So for now I've decided to buy a rack tom and a floor. The snare I have is ok and the kick is a DW so I figure it best to build off that.

My question; how to go about buying loose drums? The kick is maple, is other maple likely to match? I see plenty of drums sold, quality second-hand stuff, that would still be affordable to me. A Gretsch floor tom for example in a kind of yellow that would look great with the kick. Can I assume quality will compliment quality in terms of sound also? Or is playing a tom in your set really the only way to be sure?

Does anyone here play a put together kit? Other drummers besides Billy Martin (although I've only really seen him with this antique bass drum - which looks awesome btw) who do this?

you have a lot of questions but basically yes, there are many frankenstein kits out there. i use one put together from 'orphan' toms and bass drums, from different kits, bought used. but they are all the same brand/wood type. you can buy individual drums used on ebay etc.

if you are making a frankenstein there are no rules....

you have a lot of questions but basically yes, there are many frankenstein kits out there. i use one put together from 'orphan' toms and bass drums, from different kits, bought used. but they are all the same brand/wood type. you can buy individual drums used on ebay etc.

if you are making a frankenstein there are no rules....

I like that! But will keep in mind wood and brand.

The set in my avatar is a Frankenstein kit made with Yammy birch 26" bass and some old slingy parade toms.. I'm starting another one now, just scored some vintage 6ply Ludwig concert toms along with a pacific cx maple bass that really surprised the crap out of me, it sounds awesome. will post pics when done. love the whole no rules aspect of these kits.

You notice the change in pitch between different sized toms more than you will notice how they project, resonate and whatever else, so you can kinda get away with making a mongrel of a kit, it will just look different.

You only have one kick and one snare and the sounds they make are so different to toms you could hardly say they don't suit.

I have a set I just finished for the second time that is four different drum brands. A Ludwig tom, a Pearl Tom, A Sound Percussion bass, and a Taye snare. All for fun but decent sound for a little jazz set.

The set in my avatar is a Frankenstein kit made with Yammy birch 26" bass and some old slingy parade toms.. I'm starting another one now, just scored some vintage 6ply Ludwig concert toms along with a pacific cx maple bass that really surprised the crap out of me, it sounds awesome. will post pics when done. love the whole no rules aspect of these kits.

That is one cool looking drum kit! How did you go about converting the toms?

I like mixing it up with the kits too.

Here I have a 1948 Gretsch snare drum, a 1949 24" Gretsch bass drum....I stained the 40's drums in Burnt Orange-like (matched a Gretsch swatch but did not go with the Gloss....the Satin looked okay)....a 1930's Frank Wolf 8x14 tom and a Gretsch floor tom that belonged to the late Mr. Elvin Jones....late 50's 16" in Anniversary Sparkle.

I like to use a late 50's Gretsch cocktail drum in the mix sometimes.....as a side tom off my hats.

I have some small-sized oddball drums that I play around on too.

Lots of fun. "Frankenstein kits" are great.

Attachments

• P1010728 (Custom).JPG
    P1010728 (Custom).JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 773
Last edited:
I like mixing it up with the kits too.

Here I have a 1948 Gretsch snare drum, a 1949 24" Gretsch bass drum....I stained the 40's drums in Burnt Orange-like (matched a Gretsch swatch but did not go with the Gloss....the Satin looked okay)....a 1930's Frank Wolf 8x14 tom and a Gretsch floor tom that belonged to the late Mr. Elvin Jones....late 50's 16" in Anniversary Sparkle.

I like to use a late 50's Gretsch cocktail drum in the mix sometimes.....as a side tom off my hats.

I have some small-sized oddball drums that I play around on too.

Lots of fun. "Frankenstein kits" are great.

Whoa that is magnificent. Great job on the bass drum.

Back