What to look for or watch out for in used kit

Hi yall. I've been a lurker for a while but just signed up a few days ago. I've been playing an electronic kit the last few months and am thinking about getting an acoustic kit.
It's just that because my only experience is with an electronic set, I don't know much about "real " drums. I think I pretty much know the hardware I need to go with kit but if something was wrong or damaged with the kit I'm not sure I would know. I plan on finding one on craigslist, by the way, so then I can't really just rely on the rep of a big chain.
Any help letting me know what to look or watch out for would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps any I'm probably gonna try to find a tama rockstar (or possibly imperial/swingstar), yamaha stage custom, pearl export (maybe forum too?), or pdp lx.

Warped hoops, damaged bearing edges, plies delaminating. Loose lugs, stripped lugs. Bad tom mounts, or floor tom leg mounts. Just a start.

notjohnbonham;1094587} If it helps any I'm probably gonna try to find a tama rockstar (or possibly imperial/swingstar) said:
all those are a great start, consider a Gretsch Catalina as well. Its nice if you can inspect the insides of shells too.

I have seen a number of used kits with stripped tension screws or cross threaded screws so I would bring a key and put a turn on each once you are committed to buying it.

Also have see quite a few cracked or broken kick drum hoops for whatever reason so I would look around each a couple times to be sure.

Hi yall. I've been a lurker for a while but just signed up a few days ago. I've been playing an electronic kit the last few months and am thinking about getting an acoustic kit.
It's just that because my only experience is with an electronic set, I don't know much about "real " drums. I think I pretty much know the hardware I need to go with kit but if something was wrong or damaged with the kit I'm not sure I would know. I plan on finding one on craigslist, by the way, so then I can't really just rely on the rep of a big chain.
Any help letting me know what to look or watch out for would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps any I'm probably gonna try to find a tama rockstar (or possibly imperial/swingstar), yamaha stage custom, pearl export (maybe forum too?), or pdp lx.

Don't you have any acoustic drummer friends that can check out any kit you might be considering? If not you're going to have to become knowledgeable yourself. if there's a drum shop in your area go there and look at new drums, lots of them. Take them off the stands etc. hold them, look close at the detail.

If a craigslist set has a problem it will probably be noted, if its not, then its probably an easy fix- broken lug, missing screw etc. cracked, bent rim are an easy fix as an example.

A good question: What's the biggest problem you're going to run into when looking at used drum kits? My answer: The price.

Anything major is going to be obvious.

Thanks guys. I ended up getting a swingstar. I thought I was going to look at a rockstar with everything included for $350 but it ended up being a swingstar for $250. Seems like it's in decent shape and sounds good although now playing in a confined space so am maybe gonna pick up some e-rings or something to muffle the sound a bit.

Thanks guys. I ended up getting a swingstar. I thought I was going to look at a rockstar with everything included for $350 but it ended up being a swingstar for $250. Seems like it's in decent shape and sounds good although now playing in a confined space so am maybe gonna pick up some e-rings or something to muffle the sound a bit.

Good for you! If the kit's in decent shape and you're playing on it, that's great. You should post a picture so we can see!

I was going to say consider the fact that a full set of new heads for a kit might be $200-$300. So don't buy a kit that is not worth that type of investment. I have made that mistake.

Back