deeeeeeep snares

PeniScott

Silver Member
So, what's the deal with custom manufacturers like Truth, SJC and Shine making snares that, generally, are super deep. I'm talking 6.5 and up. I saw a Truth snare a while ago that was 9 deep...

Obviously, with all the extra room you can have an even more elaborate finish/graphic but what does it do to the sound. Does all the extra air inside give it more of a ring since there's more for the sound to bounce off, does it deaden the sound since there's "too much" space (if you will) for it too bounce around and so on. I'm not entirely sure what would happen. Excluding, for now, the material it's made of.

Also, if you have got any pictures of deep snares that you own or have seen anywhere feel free to upload them :)

mines 6.5" deep btw and i'd consider that to be quite large.

xoxo

So, what's the deal with custom manufacturers like Truth, SJC and Shine making snares that, generally, are super deep. I'm talking 6.5 and up. I saw a Truth snare a while ago that was 9 deep...

Obviously, with all the extra room you can have an even more elaborate finish/graphic but what does it do to the sound. Does all the extra air inside give it more of a ring since there's more for the sound to bounce off, does it deaden the sound since there's "too much" space (if you will) for it too bounce around and so on. I'm not entirely sure what would happen. Excluding, for now, the material it's made of.

Also, if you have got any pictures of deep snares that you own or have seen anywhere feel free to upload them :)

xoxo

Forget those custom guys... find a decent 14x14 floor tom w/legs, file some snare beds on the bottom, slap on a rim, strainer and wires, yer good to go! Don't even need a stand.

I have an old Leedy & Ludwig marching snare (early 50s). The thing is a beast! I like it because it's extra woody. My take on it is that the more body the snare has, the more body the sound will have. Deeper snares sound more "woody" or overtone-laden. Shallower snares have more snap to them.

Attachments

• Leedy + Ludwig.jpg
    Leedy + Ludwig.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 3,193
Caddywumpus has the right idea there: Marching snares have always been deep. There's always been rock drummers playing 14x8 snares (Dave Grohl used one on every Nirvana record). You have have to hit them harder to excite the snares so they're a little less sensitive.

The other extreme is a a piccolo snare, which are extremely sensitive and really don't breath much at all.

Anything between a 5 and a 6.5 is "normal" in my book. But there's nothing new about the really deep guys, either.

haha, I had an old WFL that looked about like that. I prefer the 6.5, even on the bop kit. just more airy than the 5.5..

You have have to hit them harder to excite the snares so they're a little less sensitive.

The other extreme is a a piccolo snare, which are extremely sensitive and really don't breath much at all.

I disagree. The snare in the picture is VERY sensitive. Sensitivity has more to do with heads, tuning, and bearing edge cuts than it does deepness of the shell. I used to think the same thing as you until I got my hands on this snare and played around with it. Man, if you even just breathe on the batter head, the snares on the reso head activate. (I couldn't believe it when I tried it! You're only a few hours to Portland! Come down, I'll show you...)

What this 14x10 snare drum lacks is focus of sound. It has so much body that you can't get that crisp snap that makes a tight backbeat. It's rock or nothing for this bad boy. It has the almighty CRACK!!!

Anything between a 5 and a 6.5 is "normal" in my book. But there's nothing new about the really deep guys, either.

Truedat!

Forget those custom guys... find a decent 14x14 floor tom w/legs, file some snare beds on the bottom, slap on a rim, strainer and wires, yer good to go! Don't even need a stand.

haha...friend of mine did this exact thing back in the day. We took an old bop 14 floor and transformed it into a beast. We called it "shock wave". Cut down an old snare stand to mount it. It was crazy fun !

Caddy has a great point about beds, wires and edges. You can plug the vent hole also to help with snare excitement or just run with bigger clubs! haha ...Rock On!

xoxo

What do youmean what's the deal?

8" deep snare drums have been a commonly available depth for years and years.
8" deep snares were very common in the 70's and 80's for that big ballad sound.
Steve Smith used an 8" deep for most of his time with Journey.

I believe Ludwig used to offer a 10" deep in 80's.

As as mention, marching snares have always been deep, since the day the snare drum was invented.

Deep snares were even common in the early days of jazz:
zutty%20singleton%20er.jpg

I heard that Ludwig is going to start making a 8" X 14" Black Magic, any truth to the rumor? Also, for deep snare fans who don't want to buy one, what I some times do is put my Ludwig Centennial 8" X 12" rack tom on top of my 6.5" X 14" Supraphonic SS. It's really astounding to hear how well the snare still retains is sensitivity and, heck, you can kinda rim shot it, and at like 15" deep it's pretty cool. Try it and tell me what you guys think, does anybody else do this?

I own a early 80's Ludwig 14x8 chrome over wood snare that has 12/24 lugs. My use of it depends on the room I'm playing, but it has great tone and nice projection and crack. I tune it "medium" - not too tight and not too loose, but I can tell you that it really excels at being "fat" when you want it. I currently retrofitted this drum with a 32 strand snare because it's not as sensitive as my smaller depth snares. In fact, this snare came so you could individually adjust each snare wire which sounded great once you dialed it in. I removed it to reduce the wear and tear on them and added a Dunnett throwoff and 32 strand snares. I didn't however, drill any new holes in it so I can put it back to original condition if I ever part with it. I love deep snares, but it's not for everyone or for every type of music genre.

13X9 Pearl Masters Mahagony. The second photo is the stock photo, the first photo shows it with the stellar wood hoops (which sound incredible).

DSCF2811.jpg

MH-1390-140.jpg

I'm refinishing my beast... a late 80s Premier HEAVY ROCK NINE \m/

This one isn't mine. Mine is currently torn down, getting the brass snare spa treatment and having the 20+year old lacquer and various oxidized spots removed.

209258619_4ac4f714e7.jpg

14X9.

Been my favorite rock snare for about 20 years. Usually tuned somewhat low, maybe not quite medium tight. Fat snare sound without being wet or slappy. My best description of what can be pulled out of this drum is "that mic'ed up snare with just a touch of reverb of delay - except you don't need the mic or effects.

The refinish has been interesting. I thought about tube lugging that shell up... still possible, but I dont want to drill 20 holes. As is the shell only has 14 holes, those long Premier lugs are held to the shell with one screw.

Last edited:
I heard that Ludwig is going to start making a 8" X 14" Black Magic, any truth to the rumor? Also, for deep snare fans who don't want to buy one, what I some times do is put my Ludwig Centennial 8" X 12" rack tom on top of my 6.5" X 14" Supraphonic SS. It's really astounding to hear how well the snare still retains is sensitivity and, heck, you can kinda rim shot it, and at like 15" deep it's pretty cool. Try it and tell me what you guys think, does anybody else do this?

Yes, they have a new 8" x 14" Black Magic snare drum shown in the 2010 Ludwig catalog. Go to the downloads section of the Ludwig website to get it. I have only seen it listed at one online dealer though (Interstate Music).

Personally, I love 6" and 6 1/2" snares. Especially ones in steel. They have so much power but, at the same time, there's so much control (providing you have a decent head). You can make them crack like a gunshot, and then instantly, with no change in tuning, make them ring like a bell.

This is all well and good but, MAYBE it's just me, i've noticed that generally modern custom manufacturers have very deep snares or deeper than more 'mainstream' manufacturers, if you like. Maybe to fit more of a design on there, not sure, considering most of their drums are about looks. Don't quote me on this :S

But tbh, i'd love a nice 14 or 15" by 7.5 - 8" Bubinga main snare and a 13" by 6.5 as a secondary one.
xoxo

Back