Sonor S-classix > Walnut Roots vs. Black Silver Glass Glitter

Hello,

Next week i want to order my Sonor S-classix! looking forward to play it!
There's still 1 little thing i don't know.. the finish!

I have seen pictures of the Walnut roots, it's a beautiful finish! a bit classic..BUT safe for every gig, no matter where!
Now i've seen this movie of the Black Silver Glass Glitter finish, WOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWzEy1jYLZo

What do you guys think? I think the glass glitter is really nice on stage!
I play several styles of music (pop, soul, funk, rock, ..)

Thx!!

Hey,

I already saw yours (yes, i did some searchwork here ;-)).
I go for a custom set, because the S-classix SETS are always with tom bracket in the bassdrum, and i heard it in the store and it's a big difference with or without bracket!

- 22x18" bassdrum
- 10x08" T
- 12x09" T
- 16x16 Floor (in the future i'll order a 14" floor extra)
- 14x5" Snare

I can buy this set here from my dealer from WITH bracket for 2000€, and WITHOUT bracket for 2180€ (so i think i go for the bd without bracket)

Somebody experience with the Black Silver Glass Glitter finish?

Personal preferance of course, but I'd always go for the natural finish on a kit with quality shells. Although I've never seen any proof of this, I'm sure a wrap must reduce the effect the wood has on the drum sound. When I play my shells and listen to them close up, I can really hear the sound that eminates from the side of the shell so I'm sure the wrap must either act as a barrier to this sound or reduce resonance in the shell. I'm not saying a wrapped shell sounds bad, they don't, but I'm sure there's some effect. In the real world, I'm not sure if any difference would be worth taking into account though. Good luck with your choice.

I have always played tamas but ive always WANTED a sonor. Real quality stuff. I admire your dedication in getting your dream kit. It shore as heck looks nice! Im sure it sounds unbeleivable to.

Damn.

What happened there?

I wrote a big long reply about how I have an S Classix in Black Silver Glass Glitter and why you should get that instead of walnut roots. It didn't post. Ah well!

I'll keep it short....Black Silver is cool! I love mine!

SonorPlayer

I have always liked Sonors wood choices but that Black Silver is gorgeous.

I love wood finishes but I'd be going for that black glass glitter myself, that's a great looking finish that will be easily sold if you ever decide to.

I don't know!
I only saw the walnut roots finish in real live.. difficult! :-(

Somewone who have pics of the Black Silver Glass Glitter & the Black Glass Glitter?

Last edited:
I know a guy who saw the Black Glitter at NAMM this year and he said it looks crap up close. Now, that could be just what he thinks. I've never seen that one up close myself.

There are some pics on Ebay of the Black Silver Glass Glitter. I don't have a link but I remember seeing that only the other day. Do a search for Sonor S Classix and you'll find a kit that Tobias Ralph played. It'll give you close up pics of the finish and a better idea of what it actually looks like. Because the pics on Sonor's website are a bit misleading. But as I said I own one in that finish and I love it.

Hope this helps.

SonorPlayer

Is there any difference in the ordering time-frame, and is that important to you??

I'd say that if you have any doubts about the black silver glass glitter then just go with walnut roots. I wouldn't be too worried about it looking too classic for modern music on stage. What's important is that the drums sound great (and they will) and that YOU love the finish. Walnut Roots is a very classy finish. I'd rather the gloss version that you get in the Delite Series...but thats me. Also, there are a bunch of modern drummers playing that same kit in walnut roots. Some of them even play the type of music where you wouldn't expect to see such a classy finish on the drums....you've got heavy metal guys like Derek Roddy who plays an S Classix in walnut roots, Tomas Haake another metal player with a Designer Series in walnut roots and Gavin Harrison who is a prog drummer has an SQ2 in walnut roots with gold hardware.

So again....it doesn't really matter once you're happy with the finish. So just ask yourself which finish you like best and the first one that comes to mind is probably the truth and the one you should get. Which ever you end up ordering be sure to post some pics!

SonorPlayer

Hello all!

Now, i'm still looking for a good set from Sonor.

option 1) S-classix in Walnut Roots

2) Delite in Bright Copper Sparkle

Are there many differences between the S-classix and the Delite? (yeah, the price..)

I love both finishes!

Hello all!

Now, i'm still looking for a good set from Sonor.

option 1) S-classix in Walnut Roots

2) Delite in Bright Copper Sparkle

Are there many differences between the S-classix and the Delite? (yeah, the price..)

I love both finishes!

Delite : Thin Maple shells with reinforcement rings
S-Classix: Thin Scandanivian Birch shells

hey, great kit your going for, i have it in walnut roots. my kit is in my signature if you wanna see it

Hey there sweet kit, those are the sizes I'm looking at getting in the s classix, may I ask what they cost, because I'm having a hard tim finding out the price for the three shells.
Thank you

Here is mine in Black glass glitter. The only guy to buy a kit from is Shane at http://drumcenternh.com/ . He is the man!

Attachments

• IMG_1410.jpg
    IMG_1410.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 4,239
  • IMG_1411.jpg
    IMG_1411.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 2,574
  • IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 3,016
  • IMG_1415.jpg
    IMG_1415.jpg