Pearl VBL vs Tama Superstar Hyperdrive

HarryB

I am looking to buy a new kit.

I've considered pretty much everything worth considering in the intermediate price range and have narrowed it down to these two. They both seem possibly the best out there, at least the best for me. I should be able to try them both side by side some time later this week, so don't really need advice on the sound, although I wouldn't mind it. Anything's great, but I'm specifically looking for advice on the overall quality (bearing edges, shell quality, hardware etc.) and how long it's going to last me. So just things like attention to detail for these kits.

Also, if i get the Vision, I'll get OptiMounts to fit straight away, the I.S.S. mounts really do seem terrible. Then later on I'll upgrade the heads, hoops and so on. Let me know if there's anything that stands out in the Superstar like the I.S.S. mounts and I'll just get better ones, don't let this change your view on the kit.

Tell me if there is any other kits i should be sereously considering getting, I play pretty much everything, but mainly rock if anything. Oh and I think I'd prefer birch. I looked at Mapex Meridians but couldn't find them on the website, are they discontinued? I heard the birch ones were but I might be willing to compromise on my hope for a birch kit if there good enough.

And while I'm on the subject, what's the difference between the Tama Superstar and the Silverstar? Which would you recommend if any?

So, in short, which kit would you recommend that I get out of a Pearl Vision VBL with optis, or a Tama Superstar (or silverstar, depending on which one you guys think is better) with whatever else you think is worth getting. Which is best if I'm looking for value for money, attention to detail, how long it's going to last me and overall quality.

Thanks,
Harry

I play a superstar hyperdirve and I think it is a great kit. It has been my gigging/touring kit for the last 5 years and it has held up perfectly. It has been kicked, stepped on, rained on, had shit stacked on it, thrown around the truck and the only thing I have ever had to do is change the heads. I cannot find a flaw in the craftsmanship. I have a Starclassic at home that I play and I really cant tell a difference in quality between the two kits.

As for sound, the birch in the superstar makes it a little more high pitched, which I honestly dont care for the sound from behind the kit. However, everybody says it sounds great at FOH and that the toms cut through very well. I got the hyperdrive tom for aesthetics but it has a cool punchy sound that is pretty unique. It doesnt sound like any other tom I have ever owned.

I would definitely recommend playing before you buy, but if its the level of craftsmanship and durability you are worried about, I can tell you that you wont be disappointed on either account.

I play a superstar hyperdirve and I think it is a great kit. It has been my gigging/touring kit for the last 5 years and it has held up perfectly. It has been kicked, stepped on, rained on, had shit stacked on it, thrown around the truck and the only thing I have ever had to do is change the heads. I cannot find a flaw in the craftsmanship. I have a Starclassic at home that I play and I really cant tell a difference in quality between the two kits.

As for sound, the birch in the superstar makes it a little more high pitched, which I honestly dont care for the sound from behind the kit. However, everybody says it sounds great at FOH and that the toms cut through very well. I got the hyperdrive tom for aesthetics but it has a cool punchy sound that is pretty unique. It doesnt sound like any other tom I have ever owned.

I would definitely recommend playing before you buy, but if its the level of craftsmanship and durability you are worried about, I can tell you that you wont be disappointed on either account.

Thanks for the input!

Sounds good, I'll be trying them both soon so I can decide, but for craftsmanship, it sounds like the Tama is a good choice judging by your experience with it.

The Superstar does have shallower toms, which I'm not sure about the versatility of, but from what I've heard of it it's a very good kit anyway. Versatility is what I'm looking for in a kit.

Any other suggestions? Which is best? Anything is apreciated!

Anyone got any ideas?

Anything is apreciated, which kit should I get out of the two?

If there's any other good kits in that price range, tell me!

I would go for the Superstar over the VBL just on the mounting system alone. Other than the mounting system, both kits have good hardware and I think the optimount system - whilst effective - is ugly and expensive as a modification.

Gretsch Renown, Sonor Select or Essential Force Series would be my other options new. A Yamaha Stage Custom set would also be a very decent choice.

I would go for the Superstar over the VBL just on the mounting system alone. Other than the mounting system, both kits have good hardware and I think the optimount system - whilst effective - is ugly and expensive as a modification.

Gretsch Renown, Sonor Select or Essential Force Series would be my other options new. A Yamaha Stage Custom set would also be a very decent choice.

Yeah I know what your saying...

I looked at those kits too, maybe I should consider them some more.

What would your oppinion be if I said Superstar vs the other kits you suggested? Which one do you think would be best? I'll read a bit more on those few you mentioned (reviews and comments and things) and then maybe try out the few that seem best.

Anyway thanks for your comment

The problem with those X7s is that until you can GC or confirm for yourself, you cant really be sure if they are the poplar version or the maple version. Obviously there would be a significant difference in sound.. at this price, I wouldn't doubt it it was the poplar version.

Although, I would say for the money, PDP does make some damn fine drums.

The problem with those X7s is that until you can GC or confirm for yourself, you cant really be sure if they are the poplar version or the maple version. Obviously there would be a significant difference in sound.. at this price, I wouldn't doubt it it was the poplar version.

Although, I would say for the money, PDP does make some damn fine drums.

I actually agree with you on this! I have the X7 in poplar but it honestly sounds excellent.

I also purchased a 7 piece Concept Maple from GC Used and it was for the same price actually. So I wouldnt doubt its not maple. They really sell PDP kits for super cheap. Theres a PDP Platinum for sale as well around the same price too! So go for those!

does seem like a pretty good price, i heard about the x7s, apparently there very good...

I am looking for the whole thing - as in hardware and all, and I'll need to buy some cymbals soon as well - and that looks just like a shell pack so if i buy hardware separately my guess is that they'll be more expensive.

Also, i like to know what I'm getting and as Defender said, you don't really know if its poplar or maple or much else about it, it doesn't really say very much. And it's used, you don't really know what your getting when you buy used unless you search everything. This is all my opinion but i just feel safer buying new. Yknow, just so many little parts that could have something wrong with them...
At least i know it'll most likely be perfect if i get it new.

So I'll check out the pdp x7 but from what I've heard there discontinued? I might have some trouble finding one that i like.

Thanks but what do you think for pearl vbl or tama superstar hyperdrive. The pearl with optimounts. Or any other kits that are better in your oppinion.

At the moment im kinda leaning towards the vision. Try to persuade me otherwise if you think im gonna make the wrong decision!

Dont just list names of kits say reasons and like explanations cos i dont wanna get this wrong!

Just watch this video, the whole kit just looks and sounds awesome.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uffb8Nf5Wis
I only want a 5 piece but its the same kit.

Thanks again!!

Ok everyone, early tomorow morning I'll be going away for two weeks. Unfortunately i havent had a chance to test out both kits and possibly some more side by side yet so it'll have to be when i come back. I will hope to see lots of great comments when i return!

Keep the opinions coming!!
Harry

At the moment im kinda leaning towards the vision. Try to persuade me otherwise if you think im gonna make the wrong decision!

Dont just list names of kits say reasons and like explanations cos i dont wanna get this wrong!

Thanks again!!

Man, i sound picky...

Ok,so im back and unfortunately aren't going to get a chance to try out those two kits side by side, apparently pearl aren't making the visions anymore as they were going to be a replacement for the exports, but they have found they aren't selling as well as the exports, so they will be continuing the exports and stopping the visions:(

I could still find a few as they do sound like great kits, and really would like to try it out. I'll find somewhere that is near me that does some kits in that price range and try them. At the moment im looking at the visions, superstars, gretsch catalinas and possibly mapex meridians, but not sure if there still around. And also sonor's essential and select force series and some of pdp's too. I also have started to think about buying used, if i can get maybe the kit above all of these kits or maybe even the kit above that in fairly good condition for the same price

Harry.

Thanks again!!
The video sound, like most videos, is processed, so not a great guide really. I've had several Visions through my finishing shop, as well as other lower tier Pearls, & every one of them had bearing edge faults, some of them very serious indeed. I have no idea how this applies to all Visions out there, but it's something I'd be checking carefully if considering a Vision. That applies to both new & used. Tom "suspension" mount is just plain horrible too.

If it was my money, I'd be tempted to get an old Export kit in nice condition. They were a much better/more consistent build IMO.

I cant comment on the Pearls, never played one or heard one close up, but I would trust keep it simple's advice on build quality.

I have a yamaha stage custom and a 3 shell hyperdrive ( 10" stand mounted tom, 14" floor tom 22" virgin kick ) I dont have the snares for either kit ( I have a few "other" snares I use)

I bought both second hand and payed 350 aud for each of them, however the Yamaha came with a drum rack and mounts,stands etc", the Tama was just the 3 shells with mount/legs, kick pedal and hi-hat. A full hyperdive kit is around twice the price of a stage custom here in Perth

The sound and build quality of both drums is excellent. The only problem I have had was a broken "bolt" (one of 3) that attaches the starcast mount to the hoop on the 10" tom....but the part was easily replaced and roughly $1.00 australian... so hardly an expensive fix.

The batter heads are different on the Yamaha (evans Ec2) and Aquarian on the Tama so hard to make a direct comparison sound wise. That being said I was a bit of a mug punter and didnt actually check the tom sizes for myself and the supposed 14 tom on the Yamaha was actually a 13.

So I do use the Tama 14 floor tom with the Yamaha kit and it blends in well. It is tuned fairly low (as are my toms) so it has a nice deep thud to it without exessive overtones.

The 10' hyperdrive tom is fairly shallow compared to the 10' stage custom tom. However tuned low (and keeping in mind the Ec2s on the SC tom controls any overtones) they both sound quite similar.

The yamaha copes quite well with low to high tuning. I cant say I have tried tinkering with the Hyperdrive.

Any way you go I would generally go second hand in terms of value for money. I dont know if the bearing edge issues on the Pearl are problematic or not for brand new kits, it would certainly make me cautious of buying one second hand.

Good luck with your decision...

The vid posted is as KIS says, processed,so when you get your kit home an set up,you'll be posting here that there's something wrong with your drums.Real acoustic drums,without processing....just don't sound like that....period.Secondly,Tamas mounting system and hardware on superstars and silverstars,is superior to Pearls plumbing pipe set up.Lastly,Silverstars are nearly imposible to beat at their price point for finish,build quality and sound.

No brainer.....Tama silverstars.

Steve B

The video sound, like most videos, is processed, so not a great guide really. I've had several Visions through my finishing shop, as well as other lower tier Pearls, & every one of them had bearing edge faults, some of them very serious indeed. I have no idea how this applies to all Visions out there, but it's something I'd be checking carefully if considering a Vision. That applies to both new & used. Tom "suspension" mount is just plain horrible too.

If it was my money, I'd be tempted to get an old Export kit in nice condition. They were a much better/more consistent build IMO.

Yeah, i figured it would be processed but was just looking for a basic guide as i couldn't try it at the time. Maybe the visions aren't best if your experience with them isnt great, and I'll see if i can try out a couple of exports and see what they sound like in comparison with some other kits of a similar price. I would get optimounts straight away with the visions but if the problems go further than the mounts then maybe it's not a good choice.

Do you have any experience with tama superstars or silverstars? If so please reply with what you think of both of them, if there a good choice and which is better. This is the kind of advice im looking for as i can see and hear it myself eventually.

I cant comment on the Pearls, never played one or heard one close up, but I would trust keep it simple's advice on build quality.

I have a yamaha stage custom and a 3 shell hyperdrive ( 10" stand mounted tom, 14" floor tom 22" virgin kick ) I dont have the snares for either kit ( I have a few "other" snares I use)

I bought both second hand and payed 350 aud for each of them, however the Yamaha came with a drum rack and mounts,stands etc", the Tama was just the 3 shells with mount/legs, kick pedal and hi-hat. A full hyperdive kit is around twice the price of a stage custom here in Perth

The sound and build quality of both drums is excellent. The only problem I have had was a broken "bolt" (one of 3) that attaches the starcast mount to the hoop on the 10" tom....but the part was easily replaced and roughly $1.00 australian... so hardly an expensive fix.

The batter heads are different on the Yamaha (evans Ec2) and Aquarian on the Tama so hard to make a direct comparison sound wise. That being said I was a bit of a mug punter and didnt actually check the tom sizes for myself and the supposed 14 tom on the Yamaha was actually a 13.

So I do use the Tama 14 floor tom with the Yamaha kit and it blends in well. It is tuned fairly low (as are my toms) so it has a nice deep thud to it without exessive overtones.

The 10' hyperdrive tom is fairly shallow compared to the 10' stage custom tom. However tuned low (and keeping in mind the Ec2s on the SC tom controls any overtones) they both sound quite similar.

The yamaha copes quite well with low to high tuning. I cant say I have tried tinkering with the Hyperdrive.

Any way you go I would generally go second hand in terms of value for money. I dont know if the bearing edge issues on the Pearl are problematic or not for brand new kits, it would certainly make me cautious of buying one second hand.

Good luck with your decision...

Thanks.
i looked into the stage customs but they didnt really stand out to me... Dont know if that really makes much sense but a few others just seemed like a slightly better idea. As i keep saying, i really need to play the few that people say are the best choice, and then choose one that sounds best to me. But until then i need to know which are best. If the build quality of the superstar is good ill probably go for that, but am interested to see others and also if the cheaper but newer silverstar is any better.

The vid posted is as KIS says, processed,so when you get your kit home an set up,you'll be posting here that there's something wrong with your drums.Real acoustic drums,without processing....just don't sound like that....period.Secondly,Tamas mounting system and hardware on superstars and silverstars,is superior to Pearls plumbing pipe set up.Lastly,Silverstars are nearly imposible to beat at their price point for finish,build quality and sound.

No brainer.....Tama silverstars.

Steve B

Yeah, i understood the video would be processed but as i said hadn't tried the kit so just wanted to get a basic idea of what it sounded like. I know it wasn't really the best but I'll try it when i get an idea of what kit(s) are best.

You really think that the silverstars are better than the superstars, even though the superstars are about £300 more? Anyway thanks for your advice, oh and btw i dont think id put up with pearls mounts on the vision if they really are as crappy as everyone says they are, so it'd be an instant upgrade to optimounts.

The Silverstars are the same shells as the Superstar, only different sizes and with different lugs/hoops. I had a Superstar and personally I think lower mass hardware & 2.3mm hoops (which the Silverstar has) would have done it good, so, probably the preferable one for me.

Back