Videos of my two setups - Pearl Reference, Corder / Fibes, Paiste, and Zildjian

SgtThump

Platinum Member
I recently made videos of my two setups and wanted to share. Gotta say that I'm really happy with my two rigs at this point, although I'm sure I'll change things up soon. LOL

There are quite a few details in the descriptions of these videos, so check that out to see what I'm using.

Drums were recorded with two Sterling Audio condenser overhead mics and a Shure Sm57 on the bass drum. These went through a mixer, then into a Zoom Q3HD recorder (line in.) Can't do any mixing after recording, so I can't make minor adjustments to the volume levels or EQ, but it's still not bad IMO.

Pearl Reference Set and Paiste 2002 cymbals > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPzZmInFZGo

Corder/Fibes Set and Paiste Giant Beat and Zildjian cymbals > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnOELay4jzM

PS - The pics below of the Fibes don't show the same cymbal setup used in the videos, but whatever... :)

Attachments

• 20130727_112801.jpg
    20130727_112801.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 526
  • 20130727_112729.jpg
    20130727_112729.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 405
  • 20130629_155331.jpg
    20130629_155331.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 408
  • 20130629_155506.jpg
    20130629_155506.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 418
Love the reference kit, sound good. I have a set of Masterworks, same idea. Thread not getting any love, this seems to be a quiet spot on the site. In general discussion it is hard to be heard there are so many long winded responses, but I guess it is too much work to click into this section for some.

Thanks uniongoon. Yeah, the reference kit is killer IMO. I also agree that this is a quieter area of the forum. I've posted these in the general section before, but I think they were moved to this section by a mod, so now I post them here. Kinda stinks sometimes when you're looking for feedback. :)

Great videos Sarge. Don't know why this thread isn't getting any love. Personally I dig the hell out of all your videos, its like I get to vicariously get new toys and pretend that I grew a sweet moustache/goatee while I play them.

I'm pretty surprised how well that 10" tom sounds with the 16" on the Fibes kit. I have all sorts of trouble getting the 12" and the 16" to sound cohesive on my kit. Do you find the volume/wash of the 24" GB to be overpowering? You were really playing with a lighter touch andit seemed to stay at a nice spot in the mix.

Also, I have been wondering for some time, are you actually a Sgt or is that just a stage name?

Great videos Sarge. Don't know why this thread isn't getting any love. Personally I dig the hell out of all your videos, its like I get to vicariously get new toys and pretend that I grew a sweet moustache/goatee while I play them.

I'm pretty surprised how well that 10" tom sounds with the 16" on the Fibes kit. I have all sorts of trouble getting the 12" and the 16" to sound cohesive on my kit. Do you find the volume/wash of the 24" GB to be overpowering? You were really playing with a lighter touch andit seemed to stay at a nice spot in the mix.

Also, I have been wondering for some time, are you actually a Sgt or is that just a stage name?

LOL, you're a funny guy!

I too have always been amazed at how well the 10" and 16" toms on the Fibes kit work together. Alot of times, I tune that 10" down quite a bit and it rings clear. That's a really killer setup, even if having a 10" + 16" setup is kinda outside the norm.

And yeah, the 24" Giant Beat can get away from me really easily if I'm not careful. I also play lighter at home than on gigs, so it's easier to keep things under control.

Back when I started online, I had made the move from guitar to bass. The first screenname I had was "Thumpin4" to indicate bass guitar. I was in the Air Force at the time and made Staff Sergeant, so I changed it to SgtThump at that time. I never changed it when I went back to guitar or when I got out of the military in 1999. Funny how it now fits with drums too. LOL

Drums were recorded with two Sterling Audio condenser overhead mics and a Shure Sm57 on the bass drum. These went through a mixer, then into a Zoom Q3HD recorder (line in.) Can't do any mixing after recording, so I can't make minor adjustments to the volume levels or EQ, but it's still not bad IMO.

Pearl Reference Set and Paiste 2002 cymbals > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPzZmInFZGo

I have the same Pearl Reference kit, maybe a little fade smoke to black finish with wood grain showing through, high gloss finish. Yours looks solid black, or maybe that's the photos.

Thanks for the recording!

Steph
PS. I'm trying to get something together on that end myself. I found my M-Audio FastTrack Pro, which has two mic inputs and two "inserts", which I'm not sure what they are. Then I have a Roland PM30 monitor with 3 channel inputs.

Back