Stained my Tama

xxthepatient

So a while ago I decided to take the wrap off my Tama Imperialstar and stain the poplar shells.
The wrap was starting to bubble really bad so it wasn't hard to get it off.
The set before the operation
06-20-08_1933.jpg

06-23-08_1550.jpg

The set after.
06-27-08_1339.jpg

PICT0021.jpg

The music studio.
07-13-08_1748.jpg

Looks nice, though it's a little uneven. But I like that :) I also like the set-up you got going on with the octobans on the right.

I was trying to go for a vintage look. Kinda like if you walked in a barn, it would be set up right next to same hay bails and a tractor.
Haha.
I'm currently saving up for a Mapex saturn 7 piece.

Yes, I really like it, too.
I think you did a nice staining job! The colour intensity alternates at some spots. Is the wood a reason for this swaying? Makes it look kind of vintage! =)

So, very nice...I`d love to see this with black hardware parts (rims, lugs)...any plans to do that?

Karl

Last edited:
You sure did stain it.. haha!
Mere jests it actually looks kinda cool being that rough, I think it would look sweet with black hardware too like Karl said.

I think it would look good with black hardware too, but all in all, i'm hoping to get a new set too and put this one in the corner. I just have so much on my list of things to get, I don't know when a new set will come.

I'm really loving the guitar in the last pic.

Lol...

Anyway, great job. Poplar isn't that ugly of a wood.

Nice. Intentional or not I like the look. Also your setup from before you stained them, it reminds me of that vadrum guy on youtube's setup.

The patchiness makes it look rustic and custom. I like it a lot. Can't say I've seen anything like it.

Looking at the black hoops on the bass drum, I agree that black hardware all 'round would be cool.

And I'm envious of your studio. Wish I had a place like that to jam with my guys... We're usually squeezing into someone's basement. I covet your equipment, too...

Nice. Intentional or not I like the look. Also your setup from before you stained them, it reminds me of that vadrum guy on youtube's setup.

Yeah, I love playing with that set up. That Vadrum guy modeled that set after Mike Portnoy's B side of the siamese monster.
I love playing that setup because it makes you approach the drums at a different angle.

As far as the studio, some of the stuff isn't mine, but most of it is. When we moved here to northern Utah, a big room for a studio outside of the house was a main focus. My dad really supports me and my music.

:]

I pulled the wraps off of mine and used a semi-trans cherry stain and then hit them with a quick coat of clear. I like the way they came out.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 422
looks good, looks very good, i like it how it's not perfect on some places.

Ok basecase you have got me going now. I have, now, for at least a year plus, been meaning to do something with my Tama floor standing tom. It is ready for coating or a new wrap. Seeing your drums, I think you have convienced me and so it has to be coat and varnish. You kit look real cool. Wonderful job. :)

Back