My Snare Collection/One to Go!

Oh to have such disposable income.....

it's a shame I have to waste all my money on such frivoloties as "Heating" & "Food"....

:)

Sweet collection!

I like the DW Peart Edge the best due to the stick response. It seems to play itself. The Sonor Five Star is the most like that or equal to that. The 2002 and the Canopus are equal minus 1%. As far as dynamic acoustic sound its a much harder and more personal thing that must serve the music as much as the player in that respect. I think I like the sound of the 2002 the best. Yeah I need a Brady (like I need a hole in the head, LOL) but the Canopus came my way first. I never got into expensive drums till after I broke my neck and I think its all about healing both spiritual and physical. I tried to buy snare drums that would hold their value and would give me a wide range of options. The DW was my first expensive purchase. I was still working after my accident at the time so I dedicated my extra money to drums for several years. I am now no longer able to work or afford expensive stuff so I am glad I did what I did when I still had a chance. Now I use these babies to stay healthy and happy. I do not take anything for granted as I have lived through 7 near death episodes between my rare blood disease (I am a clotter) and being a walking paraplegic (broke my neck in three places and should have died and never should have walked but being a large bodybuilder saved my life) The Riddle of Steel.

What would be really perfect is a Five Star Sonor Designer in a 14X6.5 Dimension. Then that would probably be my favorite both sound and stick action. I hope to get one. I thought it better to have the 5 since I had several 6.5 snares and I planned on it being a side snare. After playing my first Designer snare I think that you would be hard pressed to top that snare with any snare I own or have tried to date if I had it in the deeper dimensions, it would be my main snare for sure, but then where would I put that DW?

Oh the humanity....

That 14" by 8" is a beast. The 'heavy metal' looks very different.
Quality snares.

Tom

How secure is your home?

DW DOES NOT SUPPORT THEFT IN ANY WAY!

ehm, i was scoping out your house on google earth. fancy atd system..

whats the passcode so i can "bring" some "cocktail mix" to your house for our "partry" where i "pretend" to steal your drums

That 14" by 8" is a beast. The 'heavy metal' looks very different.
Quality snares.

Tom
The Sonor Signature Heavy 14X8 has the Parallel Drop Mechanism and is the most amazing of the snares. It can sound like a piccalo or a deep body beast. The over engineered strainer is able to take the drum to any direction without chokeing. Its a wonder to play but I personally play better on triple flange rims then diecast. For me this is the one reason I do not have this as my favorite drum. If i had triple flange on top, oh man would I like that snare more then any snare. I hope to switch that up one day.

The 2002 (heavy metal) is a wet dream to the ears. Not pingy, or like any other metal snare I have ever tried. It might be a one horse pony but oh what a ride. My personal favorite for its own signature sound. Weighs a ton and is perfect for Zep music on a Signature kit....man I love my drums....DROOL. I am so blessed. Thanks a lot guys.

Wow, what a great collection of snares. There are snare collections posted here but they typically don't have anything this exotic, diverse or downright freaky. I've noticed you have an eye for exotic stuff, as do I.

Your drum sets are also unusual. The bubinga set looks a lot like my ironwood - they are both very dense Australian hardwoods. The makassar is very flamboyant but classy.

Good work and enjoy playing!

Very kind words, especially from yourself. Your kit is one of my personal favorites of all time. I am humbled. Thanks for the nice comments everyone. I have been offered a Sonor Designer Five Star 14X6.5 for the Zelkova. Not sure on that one but its a kind offer. Any views on a move like that on a collection like this? I imagine most would say No.

I myself am undecided right now. I really love the Zelkova. However I truly feel that Sonor makes the best drums in the world. I like deeper snares. I know I would probably like the deeper Ebony more then any snare I own. Tough decision.

I am keeping the Zelkova and I believe the Universe will have a 5 Star 6.5" for me when the time is right. I had a awsome member of the Sonor forum offer to help me finish my Five Star. Its quite the brotherhood us drummers have.
Cheers.
Make that two too go.....LOL

I am keeping the Zelkova and I believe the Universe will have a 5 Star 6.5" for me when the time is right. I had a awsome member of the Sonor forum offer to help me finish my Five Star. Its quite the brotherhood us drummers have.
Cheers.
Make that two too go.....LOL

I think it would be cool to have a snare collection that had one sample representing each construction type: natural whole wood (solid shell), steambent, stave, plastic, carbon fiber, steel, brass, aluminum, wood composite (ply and particle board). You are the closest I have ever seen to anyone doing that. Most snare collections here are just minor variations of ply, with nothing really radical about them.

Yes an SQ2 Acrylic comes to mind, a Craviotto, a Tempus, Timeless Timber and that Kauri wood for a Ancient Snare to beat all time. That would almost complete it. Need a Ludwig Bonham snare too.

Darn, thats 8 to go.....

Just gave this snare and stand to my son for his birthday
WILDTHING
The Joshuatree Purpleheart/Paduk Stave 14X5
Diecast top/triple flange bottom
.5 inch thick
10 lugs brass rods
sounds like Stuart Copelands from the Police

Still no Magnesium snare ;)

"one to go"...

Famous last words!!

Inheritance of Vintage Sonor Percussion

I talked it over with my son and told him I am giving him my HLD 580 14x8 snare drum. I think he almost crapped his pants....LOL> I told him I would rather he have it now, then after I pass, and that I would love to hear his band with that snare. Its got a hard case and a new home. He decided to go out and get insurance on his belongings. I think its great to have wonderful children, and evern cooler to make them so happy.

I had just given him a Stave snare but he really needed a main snare of a different design. I told him keep the stave as side snare....I think he felt light headed....LOL

Well since I just gave two to my son, I think its safe to keep it in the family...but technically I think I have more snare drums then you can shake a stick at....LOL

What would you be willing to pay for a HLD 590?I have one in perfect condition with a matching stand.What is that worth?retail for stand and drum is $2500.

First of all, I am pleased to see that cheap Dunnett strainer was replaced on that lovely drum.

I fail to understand how a DW drum sneaked into that collection. But to each his own.

Your Sonor kits are wonderful. I own plenty of Sonor snares but have never had a Sonor kit. Mainly because I got stuck representing Pearl for so long.

Do you want to sell your Sonor bubinga snare? If so, how much?

You can have a look at some of my gear at this thread: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57624&highlight=some+of+my+gear+wy

It is not all up yet. I will one day get around to it. There are hundreds more instruments to post. Let me know what you think.

Back