Custom snare?

Die-casts also tend to tune easier and stay in tune for longer, but it really comes down to preference with hoops.

He's right in a sense, diecast hoops basically choke the shells more than triple flanged hoops simply because they're heavier in mass. Diecast are a lot more durable and they're used in a lot of snares basically because some maniacs manage to break triple flanged hoops by doing too many rimshots. I've got a triple flanged or maybe a 2.3mm i dunno hoop on my snare and it seems to be holding up rather well to be honest, i haven't broken it yet.

Plus, if you do manage to break them (although I don't do nearly enough powerful rimshots to do that), you can always just buy new hoops.

My old 6x14 Legend snare had die-cast hoops and 10 lugs [which I think is overkill- give me 10 lugs & flanged hoops, or die-cast and 8], and it was as lively a snare as any I've owned. I think the die-cast vs. flanged thing is overrated, especially at higher tensions such as with snare drums.

my suggestion. try it yourself!
If you look hard enough, theres very well priced shells that people have bought new and don't want anymore, and are forced to sell for much lower than a new shell cost.
like people are saying, all most custom companies have on you is the drilling, and the finish. It's not hard to order parts (especially in the US, damn you guys) and assemble a drum with a pre-made shell.
It's also not too hard to add a finish or a wrap that looks great, with so many guides and options on the internet - just practice on something else first if your staining.
as for bearing edges and drilling.. depending where you are there is usually SOMEONE around who offers that service for no more than a custom company would tack on to your bill.
If you have the same shells (or something better you wouldn't normally be able to afford), lugs and hardware, bearing edges, and wrap or stain as the big guys, why wouldn't its sound as nice? you can save an unholy amount of money, and feel much, much more satisfied.

my example (which I'm going to jinx now)... I found a 4-piece shell pack WITH bearing edges, WITHOUT drilling (Im feeling offset) of solid steam-bent flame birch for $500 canadian. these go for $1500 american new, and this pack is still in box apparently.
who knows if I'll get it for sure, but it just goes to show ya. this isn't once in a lifetime either. I see nice keller shells selling at massive discounts all the time.

just my two cents

Last edited:
My old 6x14 Legend snare had die-cast hoops and 10 lugs [which I think is overkill- give me 10 lugs & flanged hoops, or die-cast and 8], and it was as lively a snare as any I've owned. I think the die-cast vs. flanged thing is overrated, especially at higher tensions such as with snare drums.

Hey don't get me wrong i mean i have DC hoops on my toms and they sound great! Really the difference between the 2 is not highly marked. But really as i said unless you're that bothered about tuning and breaking your rims, buying drums based on their hoops is a bit pointless.

may I address something here?

You are 15. I am 21 (11 years playing), so I have a little more experience, but am still pretty much just figuring the drum world out and I am close enough to that age to remember what it was like. I have spent a ton of money on my stuff since I could just use my dad's until I could afford what I wanted. Now that I'm in college as a music ed major, I'm finding that if I could go back in time and get something different, I probably would. it just because your perception of sound changes with age.

And there are some really good sounding drums in the price range under the black beauties and their ilk. Look into those.

You could even tried used. I have a used ludwig acrolite that I picked up for $80 on ebay (the same model, I am told, that steve gadd used on 50 ways to leave your lover). I just had to replace a hoop and the strainer (because ludwig strainers have an average lifespan of about 4 minutes... this one already is on its way out 6 months and a few shows later). I love this drum and the thing is, with the new hardware, I can sell it off for $100 on ebay if I get tired of it.

The thing is that when you get to be 18 or 20, you'll very likely want a particular snare and youll have a little more experience to draw upon (and access to more shops to demo things in if you are driving and as a drummer, you better be). It's a shame to see $600 go towards a drum that you find out 3 years later, isn't what you need or, worse case scenario, you might not want to drum anymore a few years from now. Not that you shouldn't buy that expensive drum... just think about it and consider if you are absolutely sure of the drum.

And don't buy anything without hearing one first. Biggest risk you can take. I'm currently planning on dropping by the one dealer in new england who stocks pearl philharmonic snares (about a 4 hour drive there) to hear one in person before I sink a grand into the solid shell if that illustrates how important I've found that to be.

I'm over the whole red and black thing. If I'm getting anything for this particular 805 kit, maybe red and black, but this snare, I'm buying to buy it hopefully to be a part of my next drum set (give it a few years), which I hope to be custom.

Why are you always so anxious to get away from that lovely 805? you've still never had a proper set of heads on the toms for crying out loud!

I just love my birch PDP...cant...understand...

Anyway, if you think you want a BB, you should check these out.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pacific-Drums-by-DW-Ace-Brass-Snare-Drum-104900394-i1326043.gc

Last edited:
Dude, i just saw a few of your kingofdrumming videos and the 805 snare is almost perfect. If you just didnt muffle the hell out of it, it would crack quite a bit.

Back