Sonor Phonics in a 2 up 2 down

blastbeatkeeper

This is my Sonor Phonics kit in a 2 up, 2 down configuration. Toms across the top are 13x9 and 14x10. Mounted floor toms to my right are 15x12 and 16x 14, and a 24x14 bass, all 9 ply beech shells. In this pic, I am running a 12x4.5 Sonor Force 3001 snare, not my original Phonic 14x6.5 steel snare. Im working on getting my other pics uploaded, so hopefully this one will do for now. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Wow! nice kit, these were top of the line alongside the Signature model in the 80's, are you the original owner?

Very nice. How's that 16x14 work for you? I have a spare 16x16 phonic that I'm half-planning to cut down to 16x12.

TMS, Its tricky to get perfect, but when it is, it sounds like a bomb going off a hundred miles away. Btw, I should mention that there are no reso heads on it now, being that there arent any reso side bearing edges.

MAD, I am the second owner. The original owner was Bob Tortoricci. I only know this because he sharpied it inside each of the shells lol. Supposedly he was a professor of music at Union College. Ive tried to search it a couple times, with no avail. Thanks for the kind words.

*****UPDATE*****

Ok, so the 2 up 2 down didnt last long. I was sick of not being able to reach behind me for the 2nd floor tom. I moved the bell over to the other side of the bass drum tom mount, and put the 15" back up to make it a 3 up, one down configuration. SOOOOO much better. The whole kit as a whole is tighter, my cymbals are in better reach(which, btw, the cymbals in the pics are my "practice" set, except for the hats). Hopefully I will have sound up soon. I tore them down and started retuning from the beginning, and the 13 is out of commission for a bit, as new hoops and heads are in order. Keep checkin back!

Back