DDRUMS... any good?

i heard they start out good and then start to fall apart.. i personally dont like how the toms are mounted.. but arms away man! i say go for it.. you never know they could be all wrong

Ddrum has gotten mixed reviews, from what I've seen. However, the good reviews have outweighed the bad. It's fine to ask for others experiences, but I think that you should try and find a store that supplies the particular kit you want so that you can check it out in person before you buy it.

thats the plan, but im in toronto and the closest distributor is in montreal (abouit a 6 hour drive) so i wana figure out if its worth it for me to make the drive down.

so if anyone else knows ANYTHING about em, let me know thanks :)

-Matt

yeah we got them in Montreal.
Quite a few selection.

I can't really try for you but if you can come to Montreal and give it a try that'd be great.

There is also the Jazz Festival going around so it's not a bad idea to pay a visit over here.

In fact, Dave Weckl is playing this Sunday, but it's like $50 for the ticket so I'm too broke for that.

i heard they start out good and then start to fall apart.. i personally dont like how the toms are mounted.. but arms away man! i say go for it.. you never know they could be all wrong

The toms have a normal mounting system wich is used by most companies, much more posistion-friendly than the I.S.S mounts for instance.
I love the way ddrum look and sound, but I just can not stand the sizes, the long kick, the two same depth floors...

i love the sizes, thats what drew me to them in the first place

any other companies do you guys kno wof that so 20x20 bass, 12x10tom, 14x14 floor?

i see those sizes a lot in custom drum companies, can anyone recomend a good custom company? in my area we are UDRUMS, but i want to shop around.

I've played on their lower end kits and their higher end kits at Dale's Drum Shop, and i wasn't really impressed. I mean their high end kits were ok, but i mean there are better kits for the money.

i love the sizes, thats what drew me to them in the first place

any other companies do you guys kno wof that so 20x20 bass, 12x10tom, 14x14 floor?

i see those sizes a lot in custom drum companies, can anyone recomend a good custom company? in my area we are UDRUMS, but i want to shop around.

Did you mean 22X20 kicks? I Just bought a Gretsch Renown in the 10x8, 12x9, 16x16, 22x20 configuration. I added the other kick and 14x14 from ebay:) It pretty sweet.

I would also add that I also think the finishes on the DDrums seem to be lacking a bit. They seem real dull and bumpy if it's a flake. I got the silver slate sparkle finish in the Gretsch I like it alot.

ddrums suck im currently stuck with one right now their good for a short amount of time but after a few months they start giving you hell buy falling a part and what not so please dont get a ddrum drum set

Ok first off I have never played a DDrum kit, but have a buddy who is endorsed by them in a very well known band, he says the company treats him well and the product is getting better, but... big but he says if he wasn't endorsed by them he would not buy them.
Anyways, I myself can not make an opinion about them but I have not heard much good!

Did you mean 22X20 kicks?

no im pretty sure he ment 20x20.

ddrum aren't bad drums. like any drums you have to keep care of them.

i personally like ddrum because the lower end kits come with die cast hoops, and because of their unique sizes (often they come with 13" snares too) you get your own unique sound instead of being like the next person around the corner with their pearl. >_>

I have 3 Maple Blue to Black Duo Fade Toms that I bought new on eBay to use with a kit that I was putting together.
No problems, The drums are fine.
They are as good as any other drum in their range.

Yes, ddrum makes 20x20 bass drums.

My only experience is with there metal snares.. and they are as good if not better then most I have played...there prices are unbeatable...

I've got a friend who has a Ddrum kit, and it's not bad by any means, but it's certainly not great. To me, it feels like a B-grade Tama kit. The fittings are a bit dodge, the badge has been glued on, but you get what you pay for (this is in the low end of their range).

Just putting it out there.

Cheers

Hey guys, I found a kit that I have fallen in love with, made by DDRUMS

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ddrum-Dominion-Ash-Pocket-Kit-?sku=443612

does anyone know how good these kits are?

im currently playing a 2000 pearl export select

-Matt
[/QUOTE
I have played drums for a long time. I was lucky to work for Remo Inc in the late 80’s early 90’s before they moved out of LA. I saw all of the problems that go into building a great kit. Remo had some of the top drummers in the world endorsing Remo drum kits. Honestly I don’t think most of those drummers would have played those drums if they weren’t being endorsed by Remo. Most of us know that Remo made the best and most widely used heads in the world at that time. My long winded point here is that half the sound of any drum kit is in the drum head. Proper tuning and drummers ability is the part that makes the kit sound good. By the way I have been using a DDRUM kit with a 20x20 BD and it sounds like a 22. I too was taken by the size of the drums and the size of he sound. A well taken care of kit will last a life time if you want it to.

Attachments

• 73E53218-B957-4837-A4D6-9AD00451EE27.jpeg
    73E53218-B957-4837-A4D6-9AD00451EE27.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 18
I've owned my low end Journeyman Kit for nearly a year now. I dig it a lot. SOLID hardware. Nice floating tom mounts. I did a ton of research before I purchased, they were cheap as far as price. But, they are well made. I'm pretty sure whatever was going on in the mid 2000s to 2010s has been addressed and overhauled. Their higher end snares look great. Haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.

I picked up a low end Tama cymbal stand in spring. It cost more than the ddrum stand I picked up a month later. The Tama stand looked like a anorexic twig comparatively speaking. But, that's what happens when you go to one of 2 music stores in town.

Back