Tama tom sizing help

Tbonez

I have a 2008 Tama Starclassic performer b/b kit. It's a fusion kit with 8x10, 9x12 and a 14x14. I really like the 14x14 Tom but I want something lower. I've been looking at the 16x14 and the 16x16. Do any of you have an idea what's going to blend better?

The next logical step down will be 16x16. Saying that - after playing with tuning you could make a 16x14 work.

I'd personally go square sizes on the floor tom.

Your heads and tuning are going to have a much greater sonic effect than that negligible depth difference. Pick whatever's available/cheapest/fits in the cases.

I find square floors (and close to square) to be a bit muddy generally. Even my 15x14 is lacking a touch of response, I think it'd respond better at least an inch shallower. For that reason I vote for 14" depth but obviously you can do whatever you want. It's not an incredibly drastic difference.

I once had a DW kit with a 16" floor tom that was 13" deep. I hated it, both the look and the sound after I decided to give the size a chance. Give me square size floor toms any day.

Pick whatever's available/cheapest...

That is a man after my own heart right there...

My main FT on my Drumcraft kit is a 14x12, My first 14" FT, I love the way it sounds. I would also be very curious as to what the sonic differences would be from 2" of depth on a FT.

I know from personal experience that slicing 3" off a kick drum resulted in noticeable change in sound.

Were the heck is Andy??

I have only played 16x16 acoustic floor toms and I just cant get a good sound out of them. They always sound "off". I think its the square size thats the problem. I would love to try a 14" depth to see if it frees up the drums sound.

I own both sizes - a 16x16" Ludwig 3-ply floor tom and a Yamaha Stage Custom 14x16" that I converted to a floor tom (originally a rack). They both tune to the same note. The 14" deep one seems to speak a mite quicker, but so much is different between the two drums (Heads, construction, lugs, etc.) that I can't swear it's the depth. To answer the OP's question: either will do just fine.

Back