which drums are made in USA & Canada?

Totally agree with Damo. Gone are the days when China & Taiwan meant inferior technology or construction.
Today there is technological parity in most parts of the world, and most products are almost as good as their competitors, regardless of where they are made. Today's consumer demands an uncompromised level of quality, and the manufacterers have to deliver it or lose the customer.
The ISO9001 approved standard kinda establishes this. Its a set of guidelines that a manufacturer has to agree to in order to be given the title.

The huge difference then becomes price. China's got this gig perfected. For a couple of decades there was a gap in what they wanted to produce versus what came out, but no more. All the tech in the world, and a huge undemanding workforce = cheap drums, cars, tvs, whatever......

Watch out, here cometh the Chinese Drangon and its going to eat us all up alive !
CHinas doing great now, but like places before them, the production side of things will boom to the point where it will no longer be cost effective to build there. Were a few years from that, though.

Next stop, Zaire!

Most lower lines, even in American name brands will be made in China. Ludwig's lines that end in "CS" is made in Chine, thus "CS" stands for China series. Same goes for lower lines of other companies, even when not a native American name. Thus Pearl's cheaper line is made in China.

But most of the higher end stuff on this end of the world is definitely made in USA. DW, Ludwig Classic Maple, various custom names such as GMS, Spaun, Gretsch's higher lines and so-on. I still can't agree altogether with the China quality being up to par. Too many issues with too many products coming from China. And you'll notice the industry's leading drum companies not producing their high end kits in China. Wander why?

I picked up a 13x7 OCDP Maple shell with Ash outer ply. Yes, it was made in China and absolutely NOT in Orange County. GC blows them out at $199. I got this one for $149+.

I got it home and took it apart to check the edges and finish. It was pretty sad. The lugs and screws were less than grade 2 if there is such a grade and some were galled and will need to be chased with a tap before I attempt to put them back on. I have spent several hours polishing out the edges and finishing the inner shell. I stained it Early American and will clear coat it this weekend. Going to slap some Pure Sounds on it and see what kind of future this snare holds.....wish me luck.

CHinas doing great now!

I agree. If the Chinese {Taiwan in my example} decide to set the bar for the production of high end high quality drums they are totally capable of doing so no question about it in my book. I'll put the quality of construction and degree of covering the fine details of making ply type quality drums {inc.drum hardware} with anything currently out there regardless of cost in regards to my Peace Kahuna 9 ply AA flame bubinga Bee-Bopp shell pack kit.

Sure the lesser quality stuff will be out there coming from the Orient but if made with a degree of quality and attention to detail in mind needed to compete with other high end drums we see in the stores they have no problem covering that from what I've seen and heard in the flesh. The proof is in the pudding as the old saying goes in this case both in quality of construction and most importantly the SOUND of my own Taiwan made kit.

Attachments

• Stans drumset 030.jpg
    Stans drumset 030.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 16,913
  • Stans drumset 029.jpg
    Stans drumset 029.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 16,807
Last edited:
I still can't agree altogether with the China quality being up to par. Too many issues with too many products coming from China.
Customer perception is often behind reality. I still get people saying "Chinese kits are crap quality, thats why Ive never bought one..." The question then has to be asked - How would they know then?

Its a simple equation really. When youre paying someone a pittance for their work, you can afford to have many eyes on the job. Thats why the quality control at Mapex is so high. In my years of selling kits the Mapex's have been without a doubt the most consistently controlled brand when it comes to quality.

And you'll notice the industry's leading drum companies not producing their high end kits in China. Wander why?
How many customer would buy dw kits if they got up and said "Were moving to China!" Unfortunately, companies like Sonor, dw, Tama etc have established themselves as being German, US and Japanese builders. This thread proves that people feel it matters where kits are made, and theres also an iconic connection with some kits because of their country of origin - ie dw being 'all american', National Pride, etc.

I know Id feel a bit jipped if Brady decided to become a Somalian made drum company!

The reason why we Canadians pay no duty on North American made goods is because of NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement). The tricky thing is that we still have to pay OUR full sales tax on all NAFTA-qualified goods - 13% in most of Canada.

Where did you find out about the 6% on non-NA-made goods? I was under the impression that it varied depending on which country, what the item is, the item's value, etc. I checked the Canada Customs website and it was somewhat vague on this issue (on purpose, I'm sure).

Hello Mikey...I'm in Kelowna and I'm looking at adding on or getting Gretsch Renown Maple Rock 3 Piece Kit...But..Do you know who or how (In Harpers Army) I'd need to contact to find out about Duty - Tax bringing in Gretsch drums from USA ? If only 6 % for Non North American produced thats not too bad at all...But...Would like that verified by Border guys...Any info would be really appreciated...Your Peace kit looks very cool...Nice...Thanks Mikey..All the Best eh...RS...

Hello Mikey...I'm in Kelowna and I'm looking at adding on or getting Gretsch Renown Maple Rock 3 Piece Kit...But..Do you know who or how (In Harpers Army) I'd need to contact to find out about Duty - Tax bringing in Gretsch drums from USA ? If only 6 % for Non North American produced thats not too bad at all...But...Would like that verified by Border guys...Any info would be really appreciated...Your Peace kit looks very cool...Nice...Thanks Mikey..All the Best eh...RS...

Oops...Peace Kit belongs to Steamer (Vancouver)...My apologies...Yamaha is yours...Nice...

just curious which kits/companies MANUFACTURE in the US and/or Canada. the only one i know is Ayotte and Canwood from Canada...

would the biggest difference btwn. making a kit in North America vs. Asia, etc. be labour rates (ie. more $$ in NA, cheaper elsewhere)? quality the same though??

which companies produce where (outside of North America)?

when researching about duties/taxes for bringing gear into Canada, i found out that you pay no duty on North American manufactured goods, but 6% on stuff made outside...
All DW drums are made in the US, along with almost all of the Keller custom companies (Pork Pie, Spaun, Hillbilly). Unix and Ayotte are made in Canada. The high-end Ludwigs and Gretch's are USA-made as well.

The manufacturing place doesn't matter that much, although I prefer Japanese and German drums. Taiwan is associated with lower quality drums, but Mapex does a great job in Taiwan. In the end, if a kit is made well, is easy to tune, has a flawless finish, has good hardware, and sounds good, the country it's manufactured in means nothing.

Taiwan is associated with lower quality drums, but Mapex does a great job in Taiwan. In the end, if a kit is made well, is easy to tune, has a flawless finish, has good hardware, and sounds good, the country it's manufactured in means nothing.

Mapex is from China. Regarding drums from Taiwan, well, all hi end Pearl has come from there for quite sometime, and those are no less quality than pretty much anything out there.

i got the 6% info from calling the border patrol...i talked to two people, one guy seemed confident in his knowledge and the other sounded like he just smoked a big fat one. hey, that's great but i hope he knew his stuff...

I was just actually quoted 7% back in November when I called the Canada Customs Boarder Agency.

And then it can get complicated:

Most (all?) drums made in North America use hoops, tension rods and other parts made overseas.

Many maple shell drums made in Asia use maple that is grown in North American.

Some higher end Asian made drums come with Remo heads, which are made in American, even though the drums are not.

Numerous kits are a truly international affair.

Mapex is from China. Regarding drums from Taiwan, well, all hi end Pearl has come from there for quite sometime, and those are no less quality than pretty much anything out there.

I'm pretty sure Mapex is Taiwanese. The KHS corporation is from Taiwan. Maybe it's the mid/lower-level kits produced in mainland China?

I'm pretty sure Mapex is Taiwanese. The KHS corporation is from Taiwan. Maybe it's the mid/lower-level kits produced in mainland China?
I think you're right. I remember reading an article about the Taiwan factory. They have their **** down in that factory. I'd put Saturns and Orions up against my Starclassics in terms of build quality.

Yes, the main office/headquarters is out of Taiwan, which/who DO NOT manufacture drums in Taiwan. Mapex drums are completely manufactured in China, along with whoever else they build for; one of those specifically being all Sonor Force series drums.

Here is from the Mapex website:
"...This nearly unanimous sentiment was expressed repeatedly among a select group of Mapex retailers upon a recent visit to the Mapex manufacturing facilities in Tianjin, China..."

mapex_badge.jpg

As far as boarder taxes/duties go, is it the "name" of the brand, or the actual point of manufacture? In other words, would an American company's import line count as American or "other"?.... since the goods are shipped to the US distributor, and then sent on from there.

As for the "Made in Taiwan" thing, I agree that there are some awesome mid-price drums coming out of there. The cherry/gumwood Ludwig Element SE's are pretty nice tubs.

-Ryan

I think it matters not where they're made anymore. My Pearl Ref. kit was made in Taiwan and it's absolutely flawless. I believe all but Pearl's Masterworks are mass produced in Taiwan...and the quality is outstanding. The same goes for many other Asian made mass-production drums.

"Made in the USA" doesn't imply quality. You may purchase out of some kind of patriotic obligation or other "feel good" reasons, but you may find that the quality is not any better or worse. DW has outstanding quality control but you pay the price for American labor and other overhead (daunting and expensive regulation, taxation, energy costs, etc.)

Hey RZ,
Here's a couple of sites that can give you the info you're after:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/customs/a/shopshipcanada.htm

As for the "border guys" and how they verify where a product was made, I believe the shipper has to fill out that info on the shipping slip when they mail it to you.

Hope this helps eh!

Mike

"Made in the USA" doesn't imply quality. You may purchase out of some kind of patriotic obligation or other "feel good" reasons, but you may find that the quality is not any better or worse. DW has outstanding quality control but you pay the price for American labor and other overhead (daunting and expensive regulation, taxation, energy costs, etc.)

You're also covering the bill for their endorsers and making things like 23" bass drums.

-Ryan

Back