Hello everyone

DarkwingDrum

Hi guys,

My name is Iain and I'm from Bristol in the UK. I've been lurking on the forum for a while (long enough to know the regulars and some in jokes) so I thought it's about time I signed up and joined the community properly.

I'd say that I'm a competent and solid drummer, not particularly flashy. I've been playing casually in bands and orchestras since I was 7 and I've not really got any greater ambitions than to have fun playing gigs locally (maybe some festivals) with my friends. (Having said that I wouldn't mind building my own kit one day)

I would like to take the drums more seriously so hopefully I'll be able to do that now that I've given myself the ability to ask questions rather than waiting for somebody else to ask.

I play an old Sonor Phonic kit (It's older than me) that has been neglected a little recently as my current band started as an acoustic group with me playing my cajon but we have resolved to move to electric guitar/full kit this year so hopefully that will change.
I've also got a little bit of auxillary percussion that I'm always looking to expand. (I've not picked a side in the chime wars yet so let the courtship begin)

Anyway, I'm not going to get the same number of posts as KIS or GRUNTERSDAD if I put everything into one post so I'll leave it there for now.

See you round the boards.

Iain

Hello and welcome :)

Do you like caek?

So you don't play a Mapex Saturn then...

Do you wear a cape?...

Do you like wind chimes?...

That's what I'm talking about,

My band were joking about wearing capes on stage a few weeks ago. I showed them this forum and I think it put them off. (maybe their mothers won't pick up the gear the following day, mine certainly won't)

I'm waiting to see if Andy will offer to let me touch a Guru in return for my chime support.

Do you like caek?

I've missed this one unfortunately but I have been following the 'mediocre drummer, spouse, cheese hostess, shark jumper' threads with some amusement.

I've missed this one unfortunately but I have been following the 'mediocre drummer, spouse, cheese hostess, shark jumper' threads with some amusement.

Haga!

If you come to the LDS this year, you might - just MIGHT - have caek. Or dead clams.

I'm waiting to see if Andy will offer to let me touch a Guru in return for my chime support.
Welcome to the forum Ian. You're not a million miles away from me :)

You can come over & play some Guru drums anytime you like without any need for chime support ;)

As Madge mentioned, book your tickets now for LDS 2014. The show is even bigger this year, I have an "in" on the target artists, & the proposed lineup is mind blowing. Even better, it will be our biggest show stand to date, full of Guru goodies that you can play, & we're also sponsoring a very special free live show at the event.

Oh, almost forgot, my favourite kit back in the early 80's was a Phonic. Heavy as hell, built like a tank, focussed sound, but a wonderful blues/rock kit. I love them, If you ever need fresh or different edges on them, just let me know ;)

Thanks for the warm welcome.

As Madge mentioned, book your tickets now for LDS 2014. The show is even bigger this year, I have an "in" on the target artists, & the proposed lineup is mind blowing. Even better, it will be our biggest show stand to date, full of Guru goodies that you can play, & we're also sponsoring a very special free live show at the event.

Cool, I might look into getting a ticket for the Saturday.

This is one of the weekends that the NFL is playing a game at wembley so I might be coming over on the Sunday for that anyway if we get tickets so I might be able to justify a full weekend.

His name is IAIN.

Mine is Madge, not Marge. I empathise.

Feel free to come over ;)

Sorry Iain, but it serves you right for your parents opting for non standard spelling ;) ;) ;)

Ahem, it's fairly standard Scottish spelling. Bloody Scousers, what do they know?

Anyhow, I just got verbally spanked by Marge, so it's a win win really!

I can't wait to see you attempting to explain that to Mr Madge on Wednesday ;)

Sorry Iain, but it serves you right for your parents opting for non standard spelling ;) ;) ;)
Ahem, it's fairly standard Scottish spelling. Bloody Scousers, what do they know?
Tell me about it, it's more annoying that I'm not even a little bit Scottish and my dad named me after Ian Anderson (from Jethro Tull) so my parents couldn't even get the spelling right.

My sister always complains because her default way of spelling Ian always involves the extra I.

I once told a guy that my name was 'Iain with 2 I's' and got a name badge back saying Iian.

Serves me right I guess...

Oh, don't worry. Nobody I care about calls me by my "real" name, and if they do, I haven't a clue that they mean me!

If you spend as much time in serious practice as I do on the forum Gene Krupa will be forgotten and Buddy Rich will be your drum tech. Welcome and know we have fun.

Back