repairing scratches to DW satin oil finish ???

Davethis

Just scored a set of 2000 DW satin oil drums- Purple with black hardware and with the black collectors badges - a rather fetching set but the satin oil finiish is prone to surface scratches and there are a few. Throw in a little tape residue and some plastic stickers (yes i know- stickers) that are stuck to the shells and ive got a project on my hands. Ive read a million opinions about cleaning them online but anybody have any practical experience with repairing scratches or removing stickers and tape residue ??? photos avail to interested parties.. jeeeesh....

I'll give you $5 for the lot of them! But really, can we get some pictures of what you are talking about. Repairing them depends on your level of handiness. Pics please.

I can't believe someone would put stickers on wooden drums. I would try to peel as much off as possible by hand and then rub lightly with just a smidge of water. Any other solvent may take off paint. Most stickers are paper based with film or plastic on them and the water will eventually dissolve the paper if you can get the film off. Then maybe some furniture polish to remove any residue. Just be slow and sure about what you are doing.

Yeah stickers on a satin oil DW kit !!! I know - laughable !! or cryable - I dont know - prob is the stickers havent as much added glue and residue to the surface -theyve taken off the shinny satin finish underneath and its created a difference in the wood color.
So its a bass drum and 4 toms. Not all the drums are in terrible condition - so I wouldnt have to work on all of them but if any work alters the color I may as well do it to all of the drums to keep them consistant. here's some pics ...

Attachments

• dw 1.jpg
    dw 1.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 2,190
  • dw 2.jpg
    dw 2.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 2,129
  • dw3.jpg
    dw3.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 2,074
  • dw4.jpg
    dw4.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 2,249
  • dw5.jpg
    dw5.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 2,126
  • dw6.jpg
    dw6.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 2,105
  • dw7.jpg
    dw7.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 2,121
  • dw8.jpg
    dw8.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 2,156
  • dw9.jpg
    dw9.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 2,113
Ha ! thanks for your kind offer Ineedaclutch !! I may hold out a bit longer for a better one but if not ill let you know! the're from 2000. Id like to match them up with a snare of the same type but that might be tough - i paid $800 for them so with a little TLC they will make someone a great budget-priced DW kit and I should be able to make a few bucks too - im sure theyll sound AWESOME when set up !!

From a drummer's point of view....it makes ya wanna cry. But, from a wood working point of view...all ain't that bad. I would follow the recommendations for removing all the stickers and residue, and then evaluate the shells.
The scratches, for the most part, look to be in the top coat of the finish. That should not be too difficult to sand (super fine) back to an even surface. If the purple stain is in good shape, You can re-apply a spray on satin finish fairly easy.
The important thing is patience and not sanding through the color layer. Minwax makes a water based "Polycrylic" that is in a spray (and brush on) that is a durable and attractive finish coat. It can be had in satin or gloss.

thanks jkven- v helpful - keep the comments\suggestions coming
anybody tried any refinishing of oil satin finishes?

Alright $10. Was this kit owned by a tiger? Looks like someone forgot to buy cases, and got a beat down with an idiot stick. Maybe it was that rabbit from the new movie Hop. I don't think he owns any nail clippers. $800 for 4 toms and 1 kick keller shell DWs is still pretty good though. It could make a killer recording or gigging (if you don't mind the scratches) kit if the hardware isn't damaged and rattling.

Ok, I've shed some tears I'm not ashamed to say. Very good suggestions. Take your time. I agree with ultra fine sanding just through the clear coat only. Good luck on the project. Very nice kit too bad they didn't take care of it like it deserved. I know a cat who treats his DWs like a pair of shoes throwing them in and out of the trailer to and fro gigs. It really is disheartening to see.

yeah it is - owning a DW kit should be considered a privlilge and the drums respected accordingly - I would love to hear from anybody who may have attempted this process-
I will post some pics when ive fininshed them , some before/after stuff !
thanks y'all

From a drummer's point of view....it makes ya wanna cry. But, from a wood working point of view...all ain't that bad. I would follow the recommendations for removing all the stickers and residue, and then evaluate the shells.
The scratches, for the most part, look to be in the top coat of the finish. That should not be too difficult to sand (super fine) back to an even surface. If the purple stain is in good shape, You can re-apply a spray on satin finish fairly easy.
The important thing is patience and not sanding through the color layer. Minwax makes a water based "Polycrylic" that is in a spray (and brush on) that is a durable and attractive finish coat. It can be had in satin or gloss.

Ok - so im ready to start the project - the majority of the damage is really on just one tom and the bass. ive removed the hardware and stickers on the tom and cleaned it with a slightly damp cloth. It was filthy ! and the shell looks better already.
Im going to sand it VERY gently probably first with some very fine sandpaper and then with very fine wire wool (0000?) and finish it with the minwax polycrylic satin. How many coats do you think might be necessary? should I sand after each coat? I will work on the area under a lug first to test the finish and match the color - if i can get away with working on just two of the 5 drums I will but Ive got to make sure that the color and satin sheen match up.
thanks for all the help and great advice - I'll post some pics when ready...

old english..............

who me or the polish ?? I am English but not THAT old !!!!!
at which point would you suggest using old english ?

who me or the polish ?? I am English but not THAT old !!!!!
at which point would you suggest using old english ?

as soon as they are wiped down....the scratches will pretty much disappear

it will give it a nice shine as well

there are different formulas for different color woods

I checked out their website - Do you mean the scratch treatment stuff ? Im not sure if its a clear liquid - They do a dark wood and light wood treatment - but id be worried about affecting the purple color ? any thoughts ??

davethis, pm sent. As far as the finish, the trick is to keep things even. Remember that the stain is soaked into a thickness of the upper layer of wood. It would take a lot of sanding to go through to bare wood. But, you can easily leave light and dark splotches if ya aint careful.

Sand with your hand...not your fingertips....and be patient. I bet you're gonna have to do all the shells to make them match but, I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

Hi there - I find myself in nearly the exact same situation with a satin oil set. What'd you end up doing exactly and how'd it work out?

finally finished the project and they are ready for re-sale - after much thought, procrastination and trial / error it turns that tung oil is the best way - coated evenly, dryed and then rubbed down v gently with the scrubbing (green) side of a kitchen sink pad cleaner.
tung oil also did a nice job of removing the duct tape residue - but i had to use a lot of soft cotton rag to lift it all off after repeated oil treatments-
Let me know if youd like to see some 'after' pictures
thanks !

Dude - pictures or it didn't happen...

Back