But What To Wear?

JustJames

Platinum Member
Madge has her collection of sparkly frocks and stilettoes...stilettos...stiletti...SHOES, but what of the rest of us? I play in a classic rock cover band, we're just starting to pick up gigs and I feel that as entertainers we should dress a bit rock 'n roll.

We're all over 40, so dressing like One Direction or Miley Cyrus is out of the question, but what does that leave?

My take is we should dress like the most extreme version of ourselves we're comfortable parading in public, and leave it to individual members to work out what that is.

Is this something that others who play in similar types of bands even think about?

Great question.
It is best when you put some thought into the proper outfit for being on stage.

All I am sure about is please please please don't wear shorts!
The bass player in my band who is about 70 years old wears shorts on stage.
And I hate it.
He has been playing on stage for most of his life, and he was the one who invited me to be part of the band. So I really can't say anything about it.

No shorts, check. Agreed. Anything that shows a mans toes are to be avoided too. I run away screaming in horror when I see a gnarley man toe onstage.

As ZZ Top put it:
"Every girl's crazy for a sharp dressed man."

For my classic rock band gig, I usually wear jeans and a more casual looking dress shirt.

You guys are talking about what to wear when you're out with your band. Most of my life I've been a hired gun and own a few different outfits. You definitely have to own a tuxedo if you wish to be in a wedding or high-society gig band. I have blue jeans too, but sometimes you have to have some sort of cowboy shirt and a cowboy hat if you play in a country band. Casual party bands really like the Hawaiian shirt look. And when in doubt, wear black. It always looks right. So I have a supply of black jeans and tennis shoes (along with black socks) so I can do my share of disappearing. Sometimes a casual business suit is good when the tuxedo isn't necessary, and this extends to the shoes as well. You just have to be prepared with anything so you can say "yes! I can do that for you!".

Take a look via Google Image search at what the guys in classic rock bands that are on tour these days wear. Guys like the Moody Blues that are in their 60's (70's?) and they know how to dress on stage classy and appropriately for the gig.
Black seems to work for everything from classical to jazz to rock. Personally I will never, ever own a cowboy hat. I can't wear one and not look like it's a joke.

Jeans and a black "Rock 'n Roll" t-shirt like Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Eric Clapton, The Rolling Stones, Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, Taylor, etc., etc.

I see those types of shirts at all kinds of clothing stores and actually own a few myself. I like to wear my black Fender baseball cap.

P.S. if the weather/temperature allows, I will always wear shorts. Who cares, I'm hiding out behind a drum kit. :)

I agree with Bo, when in doubt wear black... of course not if your in Texas in the middle of the summer at an outdoor gig :) . However, my rock and jazz wear is pretty much the same, dress shirt, vest, tie, slacks (jazz side) or maybe nice jeans (rock). Country usually jeans and a shirt with some pearl snaps. I've done some outdoor gigs where it has been shorts and a t-shirt because it gets really hot in Texas. I also have the standard concert black tux thing too if it calls for it.

I admit I've turned some bands down because they were a bit too crazy and theatrical with their wardrobes on stage.

You guys are talking about what to wear when you're out with your band. Most of my life I've been a hired gun and own a few different outfits. You definitely have to own a tuxedo if you wish to be in a wedding or high-society gig band. I have blue jeans too, but sometimes you have to have some sort of cowboy shirt and a cowboy hat if you play in a country band. Casual party bands really like the Hawaiian shirt look. And when in doubt, wear black. It always looks right. So I have a supply of black jeans and tennis shoes (along with black socks) so I can do my share of disappearing. Sometimes a casual business suit is good when the tuxedo isn't necessary, and this extends to the shoes as well. You just have to be prepared with anything so you can say "yes! I can do that for you!".

Cowboy hats?? Hawaiian shirts?!?!?

Jesus Bo. I hope he's already spoken for, 'cos the poor sod will never get laid again stepping into a Sydney pub wearing that kinda wardrobe.

You may as well suggest he goes for broke by wearing white knee high socks with his sandals while you're at it!!!

Cowboy hats?? Hawaiian shirts?!?!?

Jesus Bo. I hope he's already spoken for, 'cos the poor sod will never get laid again stepping into a Sydney pub wearing that kinda wardrobe.

You may as well suggest he goes for broke by wearing white knee high socks with his sandals while you're at it!!!

I suspect that judgement would depend very much on the type of pub that he walked into.

Hair."..........................

What about the quintessential bowling shirt? Derigur for blues bands but works in many instances. Over slacks it can be classy enough for a corporate gig, over jeans you can do blues, rock, even country with less pretension than a pearl button shirt and hat. Plus, having the tails out helps us less than svelte folk.

I tend to wear my old hockey jersey when I play. While It's easy to move in and a good conversation starter, people seem to refer to me by my last name a lot....

RAHA!!!!

Jeans and a black "Rock 'n Roll" t-shirt like Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Eric Clapton, The Rolling Stones, Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, Taylor, etc., etc.

Oh, of course I forgot.

Yeah, drummers need to wear their Zildjian, Remo and Evans T shirts............

Back