Stevie Wonder - Superstition

Beaker

Hey all, so I've met some people through an advert on a website and we're meeting in a couple of weeks to try to get some tunes together in a Commitments, Jools Holland, Mark Ronson, Rhythm & Blues style with a view to maybe playing some gigs at some point in the future, however, at the minute the focus is to have some fun and see where it goes.

One of the suggested songs to learning Superstition by Stevie Wonder and I just wondered if anyone had any advice on the best way to approach it? I doubt anyone is expecting me to learn it note for note (at least I hope they're not) I was thinking I would stick to the overall feel and play any particularly stand out sections (intro, fill in the 1st chorus etc) but not get too bogged down in trying to faithfully recreate the whole thing and just have fun with it.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Eliot

Last edited:
When it comes to covers, I always start with as close to note for note as I can get. In the case of a classic song like Superstition, I would make little to no change. But that is me. It is a classic song, with an awesome feel.

Hey all, so I've met some people through an advert on a website and we're meeting in a couple of weeks to try to get some tunes together in a Commitments, Jools Holland, Mark Ronson, Rhythm & Blues style with a view to maybe playing some gigs at some point in the future, however, at the minute the focus is to have some fun and see where it goes.

One of the suggested songs to learning Superstition by Stevie Wonder and I just wondered if anyone had any advice on the best way to approach it? I doubt anyone is expecting me to learn it note for note (at least I hope they're not) I was thinking I would stick to the overall feel and play any particularly stand out sections (intro, fill in the 1st chorus etc) but not get too bogged down in trying to faithfully recreate the whole thing and just have fun with it.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Eliot

4 on the floor through the verses!

Pretty much everyone plays it straight with a hip-hoppy hi-hat, which is fine. But if you listen to the original carefully, you'll hear that the kick starts doing a 16th, almost hip-hop push into the downbeats. Nobody does that, which is why bands get close to the real feel, but never quite there.

If you really want to impress the other players and give the song the authentic feel, learn that kick part. If not, I doubt that anyone would notice it's not there.

As much of a stickler as I am for original parts, I just play it straight. :)

At the jam in Hollywood last week, Jonathon Moffett played the song, and also just played it straight. Sounded fine.

Here's the orig if you're interested, the kick thing happens as the vocals begin.

Bermuda

Attachments

• Superstition.mp3
    2.3 MB · Views: 499
Last edited:
I've got the 16-track stems. :)

Dog gone you guys !!!!!

Now I want to play this song with a band so badly, that I'm breaking out in a cold sweat........

Pretty much everyone plays it straight with a hip-hoppy hi-hat, which is fine. But if you listen to the original carefully, you'll hear that the kick starts doing a 16th, almost hip-hop push into the downbeats. Nobody does that, which is why bands get close to the real feel, but never quite there.

If you really want to impress the other players and give the song the authentic feel, learn that kick part. If not, I doubt that anyone would notice it's not there.

At the jam in Hollywood last week, Jonathon Moffett played the song, and also just played it straight. Sounded fine.

Here's the orig if you're interested, the kick thing happens as the vocals begin.

Bermuda

Of note: That's Stevie Wonder on drums BTW (credited on the album). Jeff Beck is said to have come up with the opening drum lick also. Beck recorded a version with Carmine Appice in BBA.

Another one of those 'The guy played it', like David Bowies- Rebel Rebel, where Bowie played guitar on the original album version, he came up with the riff and played guitar on that song.

I've got the 16-track stems. :)

Thanks Bermuda, and also for your input in general. I think I'm just concerned I don't butcher the song in front of people I've only just met. This is such a classic and the feel is key to making it sound authentic. Best get practising/crying.

Cheers, Eliot

just so happens this song has just been added to our song list and I just started to learn it. So thanks to Bermuda and Eric for the links. This one will take some real work for me.

Bermuda

I'm with Bermuda on this one although I usually play the 16ths as I like the feel better and band members say I don't feel as "Caucasian"........

I have also done the SRV version as well which is always a different take.

This song came on the radio today for the morning commute believe it or not. One of those songs where you have to turn up the radio and roll down the windows, drum on the steering wheel, sing it. Ha!

A really good song to learn for the drumming arsenal.

This song came on the radio today for the morning commute believe it or not. One of those songs where you have to turn up the radio and roll down the windows, drum on the steering wheel, sing it. Ha!

A really good song to learn for the drumming arsenal.

I agree, and not a really hard song per se, more like once you figure out how to make it groove right, you're good to go. Kinda like Louie Louie.....once you get the "make it sound sloppy but in control and nail the feel" thing you got that song forever as well.

Back