Taking wrap off old + low end kit...will it affect the sound?

gusty

Platinum Member
I've got a Mapex UB kit that I've for about 9 years now, and I thought I might try taking off the wrap and refinishing it. My only question is, do you think the removal of the wrap will significantly affect the sound? I'm sure it will change a little, but I'd hate to get a really nice looking kit and have it sound terrible (not that it sounds amazing right now, but still).

I've got a Mapex UB kit that I've for about 9 years now, and I thought I might try taking off the wrap and refinishing it. My only question is, do you think the removal of the wrap will significantly affect the sound? I'm sure it will change a little, but I'd hate to get a really nice looking kit and have it sound terrible (not that it sounds amazing right now, but still).

Short answer = No. Wrap does not significantly affect the sound of drums. (Modern drums, at least.)

I have two kits (C&C) and they are exactly the same in every single way, except one is wrapped and the other is lacquered. I have owned these kits for a bit, and have played drums for 25 years, and I can't hear any sonic difference. I have recorded both kits and if I didn't know which kit I used for each session, I would never be able to distinguish which kit was used.

Short answer = No. Wrap does not significantly affect the sound of drums. (Modern drums, at least.)

I have two kits (C&C) and they are exactly the same in every single way, except one is wrapped and the other is lacquered. I have owned these kits for a bit, and have played drums for 25 years, and I can't hear any sonic difference. I have recorded both kits and if I didn't know which kit I used for each session, I would never be able to distinguish which kit was used.

Cheers, thanks for the help.

Back