Is switching bass drum sizes difficult?

PhDrummer

I'm currently in the market for a second kit, and I'm leaning towards purchasing a DW Performance kit. I've played a 1997 DW for the past 14 years. I checked out a variety of kits and was hoping to find something different, but my ears drew me once again to DW (though I really liked the Tama Starclassic Bubinga...).

Anyway, my current kit has a 20-inch kick. I've been extremely happy with it both live and in the studio with various types of rock bands. With Performance, I'm offered choices of a 16x20, 18x22, and 18x24.

Here's my dilemma and question: should I stick with what is familiar (20 inch), or go for something bigger? I'm leaning towards the latter, just to mix it up a bit, but I'm not sure how difficult it will be to make the transition to a bigger kick. Is it difficult? Is it worth it?

To give you a bit more insight, I'm a single-pedal player who often plays fairly quick right-foot patterns.

Thanks in advance for any insight on my dilemma.

I'm currently in the market for a second kit, and I'm leaning towards purchasing a DW Performance kit. I've played a 1997 DW for the past 14 years. I checked out a variety of kits and was hoping to find something different, but my ears drew me once again to DW (though I really liked the Tama Starclassic Bubinga...).

Anyway, my current kit has a 20-inch kick. I've been extremely happy with it both live and in the studio with various types of rock bands. With Performance, I'm offered choices of a 16x20, 18x22, and 18x24.

Here's my dilemma and question: should I stick with what is familiar (20 inch), or go for something bigger? I'm leaning towards the latter, just to mix it up a bit, but I'm not sure how difficult it will be to make the transition to a bigger kick. Is it difficult? Is it worth it?

To give you a bit more insight, I'm a single-pedal player who often plays fairly quick right-foot patterns.

Thanks in advance for any insight on my dilemma.
If you do end up going for a bigger bass drum, go for a shallower depth. That will make sure you keep a lot of response and punch from the drum, but you'll still get a bigger and lower sound from the larger diameter of the drum.

I've always been a 20" bass drum fan but I think eventually I'll go for a 22"... with a 14" depth. Traditional size that seems like it will get the job done in any situation, all dependent on heads/tuning of course.

I'm sad that they don't offer anything shallower in the Performance series. Again, I haven't bought anything yet, so my options are still open.

Ted

I'm sad that they don't offer anything shallower in the Performance series. Again, I haven't bought anything yet, so my options are still open.

Ted

I agree. I've considered buying a performance kit as my next kit as well but I feel like the sizes are a bit overly limited. I understand they're trying to sway people to going for the Collector's kits so that they can get all the sizes/finishes/fancy toys on their kit that they want, but they are EXTREMELY limiting in that sense with the Performance series...

I think, as a seasoned player, you shouldn't have to much trouble adjusting. Going from 20 to 24 might be a bit of a learning curve. I would agree, getting a shallower depth would help keep some of your rebound assuming you have a front head and/or don't have a giant hole in it.

Yeah, I've always played with a front head with a small mic hole. I think it may be more difficult getting used to the height adjustment of the toms than it will becoming accustomed to changes in bass drum feel/pedal technique.

I love 24" bass drums and I think they are THE most versital size,but in 14" depth,with 16" being a close but not as good second.Some players have had a hard time in making the transition not so much with the different feel of a 24,but the location of their toms/ride cymbal.Why don't you adjust the height of your drums 2" higher to see if you even like the difference of mounting options before taking the next step.

Steve B

I waffle between a 22 & 24" on most gigs, but I love my 20" as well. Nice feel and it cuts through the bass frequencies really well. All are 14" deep, BTW.

The response on the 20" is the best for me, I can do my fastest work with ease. A 22" is still easy, but there's a real difference when going to the 24". The larger head soaks up energy from the beater, and response/speed does suffer unless I tune the drum on the high side, which sort of brings it close to the 22" anyway.

But look at the 24" as another drum, sort of like having a few snares of different sizes. If you only one snare, let's say a 5x14", you wouldn't necessarily go get another in the same size. You might look for a 13" or 6.5" ddep instead.

Bermuda

I went from a 14x24 to a 14x22 to 18x22 to a 14x20,and still have and use everything but 14x24,I found going from 24 to 22 with the 14 depth no big deal,just shortened my beater height a little 1/4 or so.Going to the 18x22 took a little longer to get used to,and I adjusted my pedal for that too,spring and throw,minute adjustments.The big suprise was going to the 20,not sure if it was the combo of changing from the 22 and 18 depth made it a much bigger deal,I ended up having to adjust the beater height,throw,spring tension,and added a beater shaft weight right under the beater,plus I tuned a little higher,found the drum sounded bigeer that way,and eventually found I could play faster with better control with the 20.I have heard that D.W. kicks are pretty big and loud to start with,and if you are using a deep 20,like a 16,you probably get good volume anyway,I played a performance 18x22 kick at G.C.,it had an e mad on it and sounded pretty generic,but pretty big,nice to have the oomph of a 22 when you need it, I think the emad imparts it's sound to anything you put it on,but I think you will find a bigger adjustment if you go from a shallow 20 to a deep 22,especially if you tune the 22 low.

I switch between 16, 18, 20, 22, 24 and very rarely 26. All of them except one 22 have full reso heads with no port. I use the 20 and the 24 most. Both have an 18 depth. After a minute or so you realize how the drum wants to be played. Maybe slide up or down on the pedal and pay attention on how the beater reacts. I have not had a problem switching it up, but I do it every other day so... I would say opt for the 24. You have a 20 so you have the high pitch of an 18 or the thud of a 22. Keep the 24 fully headed and make boom!

I have no issues switching between my 20, 22s (14" and 17" deep), and 24. How and what I play usually changes depending on the kit, but I don't have any issues playing what I want to play.

As was said above, tom height may be the biggest adjustment. I have 22 and an 18, and it is much easier to get the mounted tom where I want it with the 18. Peace and goodwill.

It's really not just the height of the rack toms but their tilt that's affected by the diameter of the bass drum. I don't feel comfortable with any tom deeper than a 9" over top of my 22" bass drums, especially the way I set-up my kits. With my 20" bass drum, just about anything goes with the depth of my toms.

Dennis

...The biggest adjustment that I had to make between a 24 and a 20" bass drum was in my pedal.

I use a DW9000 singlle pedal with the extended beater for my 24. When I used the same pedal with the standard beater on the 20, the feel and balance was way off. I find a similar difference when I go from the 24 to the 22.

Over the past ten years I have owned ten DW bass drums. These included 2-18s, 3-20s, 3-22s, and 2-24s. Out of them all, the 20s were my least favorite.

Barry

I opted for a 24, but went with the advice of those who said to go shallower in depth: I bought a Ludwig Keystone USA, which comes with a 24x14. The more difficult transition for me will be moving from a five-piece to my new kit, which is a four-piece. It sounds great, and I'm ready for the new challenge! Thank you all for your advice.

Ted

I've been playing since I was 5 years old. I'm 20 now. The first 13 years I played I used 22 kick with 12,13, 14 or 10,12,14 toms. Then I had to sell all of my gear to pay some bills and I wound up having to share a kit with my father who uses 26, 14, 16, 18. Not only was the 1 up 2 down set up challenging to get used to. There are just some fills that I find next to impossible to do on a one up two down set up. That's why i find a 2 up 2 down set up to be perfect. My kick work isn't nearly half as good as it is on a 22 if i play a 26. My kick work is also better if I play a 22x16 as opposed to a 22x18.

Back