New Member, Gretsch Kit

WayneWickman

Put myself through college with the help from my bands income. Retired from it for 17 years, getting back into it with a vengence. I'm left handed, the pics are not inverse.
W

Gearbox

Drums: Gretsch Renown Maple, Autumn Burst
22X18” Bass
8X7 Rack Tom
10X8 Rack Tom
12X9 Rack Tom
14X14” Floor Tom
16X16” Floor Tom (not pictured, expected 12/05)
14X6” Pork Pie Vertical Cherry Snare

Cymbals:
Zildjian 14” New Beat Hi-Hats
Zildjian 6” Zil-Bel
Zildjian 8” A Custom Splash
Zildjian 10” A Splash
Zildjian 16” Medium Thin Crash
Meinl 10/12” Electrostack
Paiste 17” Signature Full Crash
Paiste 16” 2002 Thin China
Paiste 16” 505 Crash
Sabian 21” Hand Hammered Raw Bell Dry Ride

Pedals: Tama
Iron Cobra Power Glide Double
Iron Cobra Power Glide Hi-Hat

Throne: Roc-N-Soc

Percussion: LP
Cyclops Tambourine
Medium Cowbell

Hardware: Pearl, SP, Gibraltar

Heads:
Toms: Evans g2 Batter, Evans g1 Resonant
Snare: Aquarian High Energy Batter, Evans Snare Resonant
Bass: Evans EMAD Batter, Gretsch Logo Resonant

Sticks: Vic Firth
HD4

Great drumming resource, I hope to learn a lot.

Attachments

• kit_wallpaper.jpg
    kit_wallpaper.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 473
  • kit_wallpaper_top.jpg
    kit_wallpaper_top.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 503
Welcome!

Very nice kit, even if the photo is backwards!

J/K...

Looks like a great investment! Very nice setup, and very close to mine...when it gets finished.

I have never tried that PP snare... how's the verticle cherry sound?

Believe it or not after 30+ years of playing it's my first wood snare. The major difference I see (hear) over metal is the warmer sound with wood. I am very happy with the PP. I have my batter very tight, great crack with the just right amount of resonance.
W

Welcome to the forum! By the looks of things, you have quite a lot to offer to the forum iwth your experience. Especially if your taste in gear is any indicator. Great pics of great gear. I have had great luck with the performance of my Iron Cobra and even ran the Hi Energy head on my snare for a while. I, too wound that sucker up tight and WOW, major crack. Good work.

Welcome and I'm liking the Lefty Gretsch. Great looking set and just a mirror image of my own.
I have to ask, Where are you getting your 16 floor tom?

That just all looks wicked good. Welcome.

Holy cymbal swarm! Beautiful setup there, I like it. I had to go back and look at the thread date because you said the floor tom was expected 12/05 - I thought maybe I stumbled onto a really old thread!

Thanks to all for the great welcome. The 16X16 tom in question is a special order from Guitar Center. I've been waiting about 5 months for this, excited it's coming in about a month. I have never played with 2 floor toms. All my past kits have been classic 12,13,16s. With this fusion kit I missed the 16. You just can't get that low end out of a 14.
W

You just can't get that low end out of a 14.
W

Sir, I do wish to respectfully dispute that statement. Sure, the 16, and the 18 can take you WAY down the mine shaft, but my MCANs 14" can scrape the ocean floor if need be.

I run a 16 too, which is sadly used for coffee cups, and brushes and hot rods etc.. not that I don't use it or love it , but hand on heart, do I really NEED it? The honest answer is no.

freaks..............................

the chosen ones, Vin.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think there's a place for a 14x14, a 16x16 and a 18x16.........mainly, my drum room.

With this fusion kit I missed the 16. You just can't get that low end out of a 14.
W

A 14 won't quite have the 16's low end but:

The 14x12 as a floor tom makes a big difference in perceieved depth. It sounds fairly deep on a rack or suspended, but it gets much better coupled the the floor by legs.

I do prefer a 16" to "anchor" the kits bottom end.

Great replies, with lots of great kits. I have certainly found a resource for all things drumming. Aydee...I see you run your 14 in tight then push your 16 outward. I know you mentioned you don't use the 16 much but does that set up work? I was going to push my 14 out a little, because I do have room under my ride, then bring the 16 in. My rack toms make an arc around the axis of my throne and if I set it up the way I'm thinking the floors should stay in that arc. I'm interested in other options for placement of the 16. Possibly even next to my hats. It would make it difficult to get from the 14 to 16 in a hurry, but it would make triplets and quads easier. Great thing about drum kits and hardware these days is that there are virtually limitless set up possibilities.
I have posted a video under "Your Place", just some quads with crossover. It was more for myself, checking technique and tempo. I would be interested in opinions. I have a few other questions but the moderators would probably prefer they go to the proper thread.
W

Back