The ''Right'' Way To Set Up Your Kit

Re: What annoys you on peoples drum sets?

Well...nothing actually annoys me on people`s kits or equipment.
Having adjusted the drums or cymbals in a different way is a personal thing. For me is important that a beginning drummer gets to know how to set-up their stuff "right".
With right I mean setting it up in the most comfortable way for the body.

Then, with the time you learn and "collect" experience...and all those things like technique, style and also the set-up changes and developes. You know, you notice how you (as an individual human) are built....and you may change this and that on the kit to feel comfortable. Although there are borders**...!!! But I don`t like to set them around one small point. When I started to play drums I thought that you have to set it up with an IKEA building plan if you know...but very fastly this opinion disappeared, luckily. For example Roy Haynes has his rack toms far away from each other, for many people a no-no but he feels great on and plays awesome on it...so why not?

And just yesterday I had to play on another kit for a gig, a cool Sonor Lite but wooo...the worst adjustments for me...unfortunatly I couldn`t change anything, no time and this whole set-up was too complicated to change anything!
But it didn`t annoy me. The owner felt good on it.

tooldrums1000: And also not the fact that some drummers can buy a great kit but can`t afford some good quality cymbals or vice versa. Either there are financial reasons or this drummer likes the sound of it. Again no reasons to be annoyed or somethin...

**Borders: There is a point when you`re just "making" more golden energy than you would need and when you`re losing energy because of having it adjusted in a bad way physically.

Just my thoughts...

Karl

Last edited:

Having adjusted the drums or cymbals in a different way is a personal thing. For me is important that a beginning drummer gets to know how to set-up their stuff "right".

Then, with the time you learn and "collect" experience...and all those things like technique, style and also the set-up changes and developes. You know, you notice how you (as an individual human) are built....and you may change this and that on the kit to feel comfortable. Although there are borders...!!! But I don`t like to set them around one small point. When I started to play drums I thought that you have to set it up with an IKEA building plan if you know...but very fastly this opinion disappeared, luckily. For example Roy Haynes has his rack toms far away from each other, for many people a no-no but he feels great on and plays awesome on it...so why not?

And just yesterday I had to play on another kit for a gig, a cool Sonor Lite but wooo...the worst adjustments for me...unfortunatly I couldn`t change anything, no time and this whole set-up was too complicated to change anything!

tooldrums1000: And also not the fact that some drummers can buy a great kit but can`t afford some good quality cymbals or vice versa. Either there are financial reasons or this drummer likes the sound of it. Again no reasons to be annoyed or somethin...

Just my thoughts...

Karl

Yet again wise words from a "wise guy"! I agree perfectly.

Then, with the time you learn and "collect" experience...and all those things like technique, style and also the set-up changes and developes. You know, you notice how you (as an individual human) are built....and you may change this and that on the kit to feel comfortable. Although there are borders...!!! But I don`t like to set them around one small point. When I started to play drums I thought that you have to set it up with an IKEA building plan if you know...but very fastly this opinion disappeared, luckily. For example Roy Haynes has his rack toms far away from each other, for many people a no-no but he feels great on and plays awesome on it...so why not?

Just my thoughts...

Karl

I see a bright future for you as a diplomat or politician ...

I see a bright future for you as a diplomat or politician ...

mhhh, at least for many people here in Germany being compared with politicians is one insulting thing because they never talk about the core and the main point...and they don`t even notice that. ;-)
How is your post meant??

More positive or negative? haha...let me know if there is something wrong please!

PS: Naaaah, I wanna make music!!...and actually I am very uninteressted in politics.

Karl

Just my thoughts...

Karl

I look at the pictures that nutha jason posted and you tell me if they look professional. Most people here on drummerworld would agree with me that they dont look comftorable.
dubist ine schiscoft.

I look at the pictures that nutha jason posted and you tell me if they look professional. Most people here on drummerworld would agree with me that they dont look comftorable.
dubist ine schiscoft.

I wouldn`t maybe even use the word professional here...but anyway I agree that not every kit on Jason`s image seems comfortable, right. But even this is just my point of view and that is why it`s so hard (and probably impossible, too) to define that general "border".
I don`t know if they would love it but I think Keith Carlock wouldn`t find the black Pearl without any tom angles that bad and Mr. Haynes would probably like the red 5-piece in the middle with the rack toms being so far away from each other.

Then there is the question whether playing on it would be a useless energy loss for you. For me (personally) yes. But for me these few are still inside of the I-accept-it-area.

Karl

I believe 0neyellowdrum put it best when he (essentially) said that a setup is no matter if one is a fine musician. Plus, it was funny!

This was my real point and my attempt to be funny. (I wasn't trying to be funny at Nutha's expense tho.) He posted pictures of what many believe to be annoying, aggrivating, stupid, newbie, inexperienced and other assorted descriptors, setups. I used pictures, from Drummerworld.com, to enhance my assertion as said above.
The premise that something someone else does, that has no direct relation to me, could be annoying seems like a waste of thought and energy.

]
wonder how much more these great drummers might have achieved with better hardware and better set ups
Nutha, I almost bought into this argument but if you look at the pictures I posted it does not hold any weight. All sets pictured were capable of being set up 'correctly'. :)

When people feel like they have to set their drums up in a certain way because it makes them look cool, there is indeed a problem. The cool factor doesn't come from how the set is configured, but by how the drummer uses it.
Illicom, whats the problem? Many exceptional drummers set up their kits with whatever the fad of the day is. If they are exceptional drummers, the setup is, often times, an enhancement to the visual aspect of their drumming. The high cymbals could be a reason to exagerate the movements. The flat toms could be a reason to exagerate the height of the stick movement. Many cool drummers do this to make the visual aspect of playing the drums larger and grander, heck, to be noticed. We all know it is the lead guitarist who gets all the attention. Could it be that the coolness factor of the setup of their drums was a result of their playing?

Illicom, whats the problem? Many exceptional drummers set up their kits with whatever the fad of the day is. If they are exceptional drummers, the setup is, often times, an enhancement to the visual aspect of their drumming. The high cymbals could be a reason to exagerate the movements. The flat toms could be a reason to exagerate the height of the stick movement. Many cool drummers do this to make the visual aspect of playing the drums larger and grander, heck, to be noticed. We all know it is the lead guitarist who gets all the attention. Could it be that the coolness factor of the setup of their drums was a result of their playing?

You are certainly entitled to that opinion, I just don't agree with it :)

I just think drumming isn't about looking cool, it's about how you sound. It probably comes from my background--I play in my church's praise band, and because of what we play, the entire focus of the music is on the lyrics and the actual meaning of the song. We have to lead people into worship rather than play to an audience, so my part of it simply involves making the music sound really good, without taking away from the lyrics of the song.

If I played any other kind of music, I'm sure I'd understand the "cool factor" a bit better. My apologies for pushing my notions of how the drummer fits into a band onto you.

I just think drumming isn't about looking cool, it's about how you sound. It probably comes from my background--I play in my church's praise band, and because of what we play, the entire focus of the music is on the lyrics and the actual meaning of the song. We have to lead people into worship rather than play to an audience, so my part of it simply involves making the music sound really good, without taking away from the lyrics of the song.

If I played any other kind of music, I'm sure I'd understand the "cool factor" a bit better. My apologies for pushing my notions of how the drummer fits into a band onto you.

As someone who has played in a church group, I agree showmanship must be controlled. Your purpose is not to entertain or impress, but to help the audience connect with God. Everything about your performance - your instruments, your movements, your presence, your clothing - must reinforce that purpose.

But secular music is much different. If you're entertaining the audience, it is very impotant to cultivate the right stage presence and your kit should do all it can to further the audience's enjoyment. Depending on the genre, that would mean a very large, flamboyand kit heavy on the visual appeal. So, in certain setting, looks are crucial.

The most important thing to remember is your purpose for playing in a certain context. Are you there to forge a closer connection to God? Get people dancing? Provide background music? Showcase your musicianship? Your appearance, instruments, attitude and everything you do or say must support that.

As someone who has played in a church group, I agree showmanship must be controlled. Your purpose is not to entertain or impress, but to help the audience connect with God. Everything about your performance - your instruments, your movements, your presence, your clothing - must reinforce that purpose.

But secular music is much different. If you're entertaining the audience, it is very impotant to cultivate the right stage presence and your kit should do all it can to further the audience's enjoyment. Depending on the genre, that would mean a very large, flamboyand kit heavy on the visual appeal. So, in certain setting, looks are crucial.

The most important thing to remember is your purpose for playing in a certain context. Are you there to forge a closer connection to God? Get people dancing? Provide background music? Showcase your musicianship? Your appearance, instruments, attitude and everything you do or say must support that.

Very good explanation of the point I was trying to get across. Thanks!

Illicom, no apologies needed, kind sir. I do not sense that you are trying to push your notions onto me. My question to you was not a challenge to your opinion rather only just a question to clarify. You did that very nicely. My point refers to the idea that these things would annoy or be a problem. I am trying to understand how they could be annoying.
As to playing in a praise band: If the entire focus of the music were just about the lyrics and actual meaning of the song....why not just play the recorded versions? Why play live?
Or why have a band, why not just have a guitarist or pianist?
I have been lucky enough (in my agedness) to see and hear many things musical. One of the best praise bands I have ever seen is led by Linkin Brewster. His shows inspire action. His shows rock. They rock because he and his band rocks. They are very good musicians and they put on a very good show. I do not think this show detracts from the message of the song at all. Quite the contrary, it enhances and intensifies the message as only live music can.

This is probably the most repeated thing on the forum.
Tom angles. 'nough said.
And people who have REALLY weird crash angles.
I mean, you know, cymbal stands are at a level where a cymbal should be flat, but the cymbal is tilted towards the drummer at like, a 45 degree angle.
It really bugs me.
And people who have, like, a 4-piece drum set up, with 50 billion cymbals.

To put it simply, there is no "right way" to setup a drumkit. There are A LOT of recommended ways and those ways make sense ergonomically, etc, etc. However, I believe that people can and should set it up the way THEY like it.

The other thread was about "What annoys you on people's drum sets?" not "post your setup here and get ridiculed". This is a good idea for a thread, but I think using the search feature would help people out on kit setup too....

I don't mean to be a troll....sorry if it came off that way.

nono, its fine, i realised a bit after making the thread that it was a bit dumb because or else everyone would say ''why not jst use the search button, or the internet''.

If anything, it makes a good point about the matter: There is no true right way, so there can't be too much of a wrong way.

Illicom, no apologies needed, kind sir. I do not sense that you are trying to push your notions onto me. My question to you was not a challenge to your opinion rather only just a question to clarify. You did that very nicely. My point refers to the idea that these things would annoy or be a problem. I am trying to understand how they could be annoying.
As to playing in a praise band: If the entire focus of the music were just about the lyrics and actual meaning of the song....why not just play the recorded versions? Why play live?
Or why have a band, why not just have a guitarist or pianist?
I have been lucky enough (in my agedness) to see and hear many things musical. One of the best praise bands I have ever seen is led by Linkin Brewster. His shows inspire action. His shows rock. They rock because he and his band rocks. They are very good musicians and they put on a very good show. I do not think this show detracts from the message of the song at all. Quite the contrary, it enhances and intensifies the message as only live music can.

This is an interesting conversation, but I'm not sure it's appropriate for this thread. Maybe we should start another one?

But, to answer your question, we use live music because it feels more "real", I guess. When praise and worship is succeeding, the leader often wants to repeat a verse or chorus, and that's not something you can do with a recording.

The band thing you bring up is interesting, but it's a little different than what I play in. I didn't research the group you referenced, but I assume its more like a Christian band, rather than a group that plays in church every Sunday. We have a lot of old people :p and they're used to music a certain way, so rockin' out really wouldn't work in our case :)

Every group is going to be different--even in the same genre of music, bands will differ in how they execute their musical ideas. I've only played with the one group I have described, so I can only explain what works for us and why we do it that way.

Interesting concept, though, that the genre of music affects everything from what beats we play to what kit size and configuration we use--it sure would look crazy if I set up a Bozzio-type kit at my church, wouldn't it?

Well honestly, I don't have my "perfect" drum kit right now (I have a cocktail setup) but my ideal set is as follows.

On the left side of the drummer are two pair of hihats, both with standard straight hi-hat stands and drop clutches. The drum throne is not a traditional drum throne, but instead is a cajon, to allow quick switching during songs. The snare is a standard aluminum piccolo between the legs. On the right side, from the inside out we had an 18 inch crash/ride with sizzles (I honestly prefer crash-rides to either rides or crashes, I like the consistent sound I get from hitting and accenting one piece of metal, you know?) on a boom stand, as well as a 22 inch china, which can double as a ride. Lastly, the bass drum is a standard bass drum, but outfitted with a duallist pedal, and with absolutely no muffling.

You might be thinking "What? No toms?" Well, honestly, I despise toms, so I have made my drum kit devoid of them. XD I know it's a really weird kit, but it's the only way I can get the sounds out that are in my head.

Everyone should just post their set up and explain why they set up the way they do. I am sure we might all get some good ideas. It may also help explain how their set up works well for the genre of music they play.

This is probably the most repeated thing on the forum.
No, that would be the "DW worth the cash?" and related threads threads.

I do think it's a little funny sometimes when a kit is set so that it's ergonomics seem to make it uncomfortable and awkward to play. Howeer everyone is differnent, so it may work for them.

I have two different setups, well three kind of.

Honestly I usually setup just about like Carter Beauford. When you've got a large set you have to have a plan.

Ride on the left, I actually have 2 on the left. This has forced me to learn to play open handed. I think it has helped my learning a lot since I moved the rides. Some crashes in the middle area, throw a few splashes in. Effects cymbals off to the right.

To me the most important thing about setting up is making sure you don't have to strain to hit parts of your set correctly. I think you should set your toms so they flow somewhat around the set and you are striking them at a proper angle. Same thing with cymbals and percussion.

The other setup I use is a four piece set. Either standard with a ride on the right above the bass drum and a crash on the left, or with the crash in the ride position and the ride up to the left. I'm starting to become comfortable either way.

I've also started to realize that while a bunch of gear may look cool, if you aren't using it take it off.

I'll see if I can find some of my pictures later.

Back