Lion Dance Drum Feature Help

In a bit of a creative slump right now so I'm calling upon DW for some help. x.x

Started when the chinese school (where I volunteer at) was preparing for a lion dance performance a few weeks ago. The current drummer for the lion dance (middle-aged) saw me fooling around with the Drum (I think it's different from a taiko drum) and decided it would be a good idea to put in a drum feature into the performance. I gladly oblidged.
The performance went alright, but it sounded uninspired to me; I felt as if it was not the best it could be.

Apparently we are doing another performance very soon, and they want me to play again even if my last performance did not meet my own expectations. But are there any unique sounds I can get out of this thing? So far there's:

-Standard hit-the-drum
-Hit the edge (makes a click sound)
-Hit the sticks together

LD200-cat.jpg

Something like this, a little larger than the 22x14 kick drum I have in the basement (I'd estimate it's 26x16).

Also: The sticks are like tree trunks. ~1 inch diameter, 8-9 inches long?

Well the drum of course is traditional, but traditional lion dance drumming is more basic than a 3-star beat. Modern day lion dancing incorporates multitudes of drum beats, from 7-stars up, only because traditional is so darn boring

Well the drum of course is traditional, but traditional lion dance drumming is more basic than a 3-star beat. Modern day lion dancing incorporates multitudes of drum beats, from 7-stars up, only because traditional is so darn boring

Yeah, which is why I'm having trouble thinking of stuff =/

They've given me creative license, though, so I can basically do anything I want.
Just that I'm not sure what I can do.

Back