Tama kit

MaDaBe

This is my Tama SuperStar Custom Hyperdrive sans rack toms in the Titanium Fade finish. 22 x 18 bd, 14 x 12 ft, 16 x 14 ft. Yamaha Kabuto 14 x 5.5 snare drum with DW brass snares. Heads on the toms are Remo Smooth White Emperors; snare has Remo Emperor X and Ambassador on the reso side. Evans EQ3 on bass drum batter and Remo PS3 with a port on the front. The cymbals are Paiste PST5 Rock 14 hats, 16 crash, 16 china, 20 ride and one Alpha 17 Rock Crash which sound fantastic and are fairly inexpensive. Now I’ve been a Paiste player since 1988 and I started out with the 3000 series. I played the 2002s and the PST5s and the Alphas I liked better (plus it’s the same alloy as the 2002s and RUDES, etc.) so please don’t tell me to upgrade to better cymbals. I can’t stand double pedals so I’ve got just a single Tama PowerGlide. I’ve also always hated playing cross-handed since I started playing drums in 1985 and since I don’t play rack toms anymore I decided to go Bruford style and put a DW remote hat right in front of myself. There’s an LP Rock cowbell also. Oh and there’s also Tama and Gibraltar hardware holding it up and holding it together. I always played Yamaha kits with Tama snare drums. I was going to go with a Starclassic B/B but I was so impressed with the SuperStars.

Last edited:
Are they different set up as the bottom picture, the hi-hat doesnt seem to be remote?

Interesting set up. Why no rack tom(s)?

Rack toms are a distraction. This website seems to be populated by people who feel it is important to have the biggest and best and I've seen a ton of photos of drumkits that look more like home accessories, no marks on tom heads, double pedals galore. I don't care much for big bad fills and no rack toms forces you to be more creative.

the top picture is current and the bottom one is from before I switched.

Rack toms are a distraction. This website seems to be populated by people who feel it is important to have the biggest and best and I've seen a ton of photos of drumkits that look more like home accessories, no marks on tom heads, double pedals galore. I don't care much for big bad fills and no rack toms forces you to be more creative.

Tell that to bozzio.

Look nice and comfy bruford style config. IMO, smaller setup bring you back to basic but dont force you to be more creative. Creativity isn't a matter of how small or how big your drumset is, it's a matter of personality.

Tell that to bozzio.

Yeah, there's no problem with having lots of stuff on your kit. There's no law against playing with a large kit or using all the parts of a big kit but I do agree with the OP's sentiment that if you don't even use the extra parts on your kit it's pointless.

Nice setup. How does that red kabuto sound? It reminds me of my acrolite except painted red instead of black.

Yup. I didn't say big kits were stupid and it certainly depends on the music. I once owned a double bass with six toms, two snares, etc. That would be too much for groove oriented bare nuts "real" punk/rocknroll which is what I'm into. Bozzio is an anomoly and that dude uses all that stuff and he'd be laughed at if he didn't. I meant more the amateurs really who buy all this stuff and never use it. But I bet Bozzio would be forced to be more creative on a three piece too! Steve Gadd can kill it on a six or seven piece but I bet he could kill it more on a just bass drum and a snare drum. But seriously does Portnoy need all that stuff? Does it help him?
The Kabuto has a real nice warm tone to it but it does have quite a bit of ring (which I like) and it's loud.

Last edited:
I know what you mean about the kits with no marks on the toms i mean drums are supposed to be played who cares wether the bits of plastic on the top are marked or not? Also i can see where you're coming from about the cheaper cymbals i think a lot of expensive ones can have a lot of complex tones when you just want something that makes a crash sound. Also the problem for me with a lot of expensive cymbals is that they always seem to be really thin when i want something louder and heavier.

I do not agree with that!!! i respect were you are comming from. but if you can afford to go big or be lucky enough to go big why not!! i saved up for a year to be able to get my kit!!

i often play with a bass drum , Hi-Hat and snare to try and be more creative.

COWBELL yo. Hammer it!

Looks nice, but those pics don't show the glory of that finish.

And btw, Flogging Molly kicks ass.

Flogging Molly! There a few drummers who play the 0 up 1 or more down besides Bruford.

Last edited:
Back