What I'm playing for the next few months ;)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
OK

Some of you have expressed disdain that I put my thermagloss maple Ludwig kit up on eBay. In the meantime while I waited for it to sell, I've been getting cozy with a Rogers kit from 1976.

Well, the bad news is the Ludwigs did eventually sell. My condolences to everyone.

The good news, I wasn't kidding about replacing it with something better. One of my dilemmas was trying to figure out if I wanted red or green sparkle on a Ludwig kit, and when I discovered that it would be impossible to cover my existing bass drum (the wrap would make it too thick), that's when I decided to just go the easy route and get another set. But I spent alot of time looking at the new Ludwig finishes from the latest catalog, and I began to think that I didn't want a woody finish, but I didn't exactly want a finish that everybody already has - which would make me appear fanboy-ish.

I always thought white marine pearl was cool (even had a wmp kit back in the day) but it would be cooler if there was some color to it. I even had a black oyster Ringo kit, and there's alot of those drums out there, and it's a little too black for my tastes.
Psychedelic red or citrus mod is just too much for everything I'd be taking the kit around for and would really only look good in certain situations.

Then I remembered that monster Ludwig kit at NAMM back in January. I thought it looked great, it was subtle and wild at the same time. They called it blue/olive oyster (I even saw a version of this at Pro Drum but it was red/black oyster) and both looked very cool. New finishes that nobody has. My wife even liked it.

Besides, my 1978 blue/olive Supraphonic was lonely. So I pulled the trigger on a brand new set of Ludwigs in blue/olive oyster. 9x13, 16x16, and a 14x24 bass drum (I decided to go down one size in the bass drum department, it would be better for me physically, and still gives me the extra thump over a 22). Everything about it is 70s classic - the lugs are the regular size big ones, the floor tom brackets are the classic ones. Blue/olive badges. I do like that Atlas stuff, but for me, it'd really be just adding weight and a non-classic look I don't need. Classic half-inch curved spurs round it out. It comes with an old script logo head so I'll replace that with a 70s logo head when I have time (not sure why they went with that logo head for this kit).

Here's what it looks like. Nice, isn't it?

Attachments

• New-Ludwigs.jpg
    New-Ludwigs.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 564
WOW, "nice" isn't going to cut it, that thing is amazing! So classy Bo, I love it.

Bo you're at it again. Sweet. I think these are what Bermuda affectionately called the "birthday cake wrap" earlier this year? These are Legacies if I'm correct? 3 ply?

Anyway, I was just about to suggest the new Ludwig Keystone ruby strata kit. I played one in my local store which had it on sale for really affordable $1299 snare included.

Congrats.

Bo you're at it again. Sweet. I think these are what Bermuda affectionately called the "birthday cake wrap" earlier this year? These are Legacies if I'm correct? 3 ply?

Anyway, I was just about to suggest the new Ludwig Keystone ruby strata kit. I played one in my local store which had it on sale for really affordable $1299 snare included.

Congrats.

Nah, these are classic maples, straight 6 or 7 ply with no re-rings. I thought the red strata looked cool, but can't get with that keystone look. Legacys are a lot of a good thing ;)

Well, if YOU like them, that's all that counts! lol Sorry, I think that finish is hideous. It is, however, unique!

Glad you figured out what you want. For a while, anyway.

Bo you always surprise. Great looking wrap! I love the 24" bass drum tone.

Sweet looking kit, Bo!

Enjoy it.

I get first shot at it when you sell it in a few months...

I got 50 bucks that says his next kit will be Mapex. Some kind of wrapped finish.

Bo, you're nuttier than bass player trying to read music in the G clef. :0

Wow, absolutely gorgeous kit! Congrats!

Well, if YOU like them, that's all that counts! lol Sorry, I think that finish is hideous. It is, however, unique!

Glad you figured out what you want. For a while, anyway.

I'm pretty sure this is the "Birthday Cake" finish Bermuda was referring to. And although the photo is a close representation, it does look stunning in person. Well, the Ludwig catalog does sorta do it justice if you have one to look at, too. But yeah, I've always liked an oyster finish, but black oyster could be too dark sometimes, and white oyster doesn't have enough color. So I think these two, the blue/olive and red/black olive finishes are a nice compromise.

I'll do better pictures of them after I play them in a bit.

Love it and look forward to hearing. I am sure it will force me to spend weeks chasing your tones. :)

Congrats! The finish is not my cup of tea but it's pretty cool different. Probably the first time a finish is invented to match the badge!

Back