Gavin Harrison here!

The first thing i want to write on this post is that you are an amazing guy! i mean...you sit in front of your laptop and answer to every question we make! You sent me the break in the Break song (thanks a lot!!!)! I don't think that anyone would do it...it's an amazing thing and thank you very much!!!

Now i was trying to find the album with the song Slippin' Away and of course i couldn't...can you help me with it?

And another thing...these bells you've got on the left can i buy them? Are they available or just for you? if they are available how can i find them!!! They're a huge love of mine!!!

Last edited:
Hey Gavin!

Quick question...do you ever get cramps in your thighs from sitting so low? We're the same height (6'2) and I also sit fairly low, but I seem to cramp up sometimes. When I sit higher, it just doesn't feel right, and I can't get the same bass drum technique. Anything you can think of that I may be doing wrong or not doing at all that could help? THANKS SO MUCH!

Oh, btw...I sent a drummer friend of mine the youtube video of your performance of Slippin' Away from PASIC and he was blown away. I've been telling him to check you out for awhile, but he just never got around to it. When he finally saw this video, he send me a text message, saying how mesmerized he was by your playing. Just figured I'd let you know. I can't wait to see you with PT in September in Philly!!!

Hi Gavin!

I wanted to ask your opinion on Thomas Pridgen's performance at the Modern Drummer Festival '08.
I just saw it, and it was really impressing, but for me, it was a little over the top. I find, that sometimes it was really too much.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Gavin!!

Could you explain to me a bit your decision to change to Longboards?? People tell me you trie them and don´t come back!! is it the comfort or agility?? You might have been playing them for ages but well, in Spain news comes late...

Cheers
Danny Penalver

hello gavin
i was just wondering if you had any tips in regards to licking a finger and sliding it across a tom? i've tried to do it recently and i can't seem to replicate how you do it on your dvd's, arriving somewhere etc.
any help is appreciated
thanks

Hi shortsman

Now i was trying to find the album with the song Slippin' Away and of course i couldn't...can you help me with it?

there is a version of it on my DVD Rhythmic Horizons but I haven't recorded it on any album. The original version (I believe) is on a James Newton Howard album (with Jeff Porcaro on drums). I heard it first on a plastic flexi disc that came free with Modern Drummer in about 1983 featuring Jeff promoting Paiste cymbals.

And another thing...these bells you've got on the left can i buy them? Are they available or just for you?

No they are not commercially available. If you're interested in more info about them - do a search on this thread.

Hi XboxIsAGodToMe

Quick question...do you ever get cramps in your thighs from sitting so low?

Can't say I have.

Hi huXler

I wanted to ask your opinion on Thomas Pridgen's performance at the Modern Drummer Festival '08.

Yes Thomas played great. I was watching it from backstage. A lot of energy going on.

Hi dannypenalver

Could you explain to me a bit your decision to change to Longboards?? People tell me you trie them and don´t come back!! is it the comfort or agility?

Really it's the power you can get from them. I found could play articulate stuff on them - but at louder volumes. Sitting at home playing double pedal is one thing - but when you get in a band situation - everything becomes MUCH louder and I was struggling to get the volume I wanted from my previous pedals. I think it's the long board that makes a big difference - if you play heel up - and halfway down the board - you've got a lot of leverage = power = volume.

Hi massive prog fan

i was just wondering if you had any tips in regards to licking a finger and sliding it across a tom?

really it's a conga player's trick. First the drum can't be too small - I get the best results from my 12" tom with the head not very tensioned. Secondly it really needs to be a coated head. Thirdly you need to wet your (middle) finger a bit to get the right amount of surface friction going - and you need to hit the drum first with your other hand to get the skin in motion before you lightly rub your middle finger over it.

cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin!

Are the samples from the new album coming up online soon? I want to hear more from the incident. Really exited for this one! Which one of your kits are you using on the new record? The one you used for the modern drummer festival?

Cheers!

hi gavin,

first of all - since this is my first posting - thanks a lot for answering all those questions. i've learned so much just from reading your answers, thank you so much ! needless to say, that i love your drumming....

so here is my question: songtempos - what is your method of memorizing them ? do you use a metronome for your count-in ? being a professional drummer for quite some years, i still find it hard to get the tempo right everytime - and so do most of my colleagues.

thanks a lot,
and greetings from austria
daniel

Hi Gavin

Just a simple thing that i´m not sure to have understood correctly... You said you put your mics, into a digital converter and then through your Mac. Even when you´re playing on stage, are you sending this way your signal to the main desk??.

Thanks for your time here and for so much inspiration!

Gustavo

Hi Gavin

I know I somewhat got bashed from another member or two, but I'd still be interested in your opinion about Virgil Donati's playing. I'm quite a fan of his, and since he's very much interested in bending, manipulating and pushing grooves and rhythm in general, I'm wondering if you like his playing too. My favourite record with him on drums would be Serious Young Insects by On The Virg, that one never stops amazing me. I'd very much recommend to check it out :) !!

Hi DTrocks

Are the samples from the new album coming up online soon? I want to hear more from the incident. Really exited for this one! Which one of your kits are you using on the new record? The one you used for the modern drummer festival?

There probably will be some samples coming soon. Check the PT MySpace site - we'd put them there if anywhere. I used my Tribal finish UK kit on the record - not the Golden Madrone kit (that is in the USA) I used on the MD Fest.

Hi NeuroAxis

I was wondering if you could clarify the snare roll that you do at 0:37 in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e9cPH6q0Rs Are you playing singles or doubles?

I'm playing doubles.

Hi D-a-n-i-e-l

so here is my question: songtempos - what is your method of memorizing them ? do you use a metronome for your count-in ?

Yes I use a metronome. The days of me counting in from memory are long gone. Folks are much more anal about tempos being exact these days.

Hi shortsman

So i uploaded a video on youtube yesterday and i would like to know your opinion, if you have time to see the video of course!

I'm sorry but I'm trying not to make comments on peoples video/audio samples. I get asked the same thing about 20 times a day on MySpace.

Hi Gus

Just a simple thing that i´m not sure to have understood correctly... You said you put your mics, into a digital converter and then through your Mac. Even when you´re playing on stage, are you sending this way your signal to the main desk??.

No that's only for recording. In a live situation the drums are sent to the front of house - and the monitor desk simultaneously. I don't have my converters or my Mac with me on stage.

Hi Swiss Matthias

I know I somewhat got bashed from another member or two, but I'd still be interested in your opinion about Virgil Donati's playing.

Yes he's a great drummer - I met him a couple of years ago in LA. Very nice guy too.

cheers
Gavin

Hi shortsman

I'm sorry but I'm trying not to make comments on peoples video/audio samples. I get asked the same thing about 20 times a day on MySpace.

cheers
Gavin

I thought so...you're right about that...all right now a thing i was wondering about and i think is one of the biggest ''advantages'' of your style is the table of time in your playing! I mean you are able to play any note in the table of time and various groupings of these not just 16th notes or 8th note triplets etc. How did you improve this ability? Any exercise?

Last edited:
Hi shortsman,
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "table of time" ?

cheers
Gavin

I mean the rhythmic values of notes for example 16th notes, 16th triplets,8th notes etc. You play countless groupings of these values! How did you achieve that level in doing this? (Sorry my English are not that good :()

Hey Gavin,
There's a heavy double bass section in Anesthetize which I can't quite figure out, the one you play here from about 5:12 to 5:30. I think there are triplet notes going on on the the bass drum, but I'm not sure, and I don't think the time signature is 4/4 either. The slightest enlightment on that section will help figuring it out!

Thanks a lot, Fox.

UPDATE: Ok, I think I figured some of it out, the music is in 4/4, and your playing in groupings of three, switching between ride and crash each eighth note, (is this correct?) Now, the question remains, what the heck's going on in the double pedal there, man :p?

Last edited:
Back