Middle finger as pivot point for stick?!

freakyphil1

Hey Guys,
since I'm new here I would first want to say hello. :)
But to get to my question...
I've been drumming for about 5 years. I recently tried to work more on my technique/speed (espacially the left hand as always) and therefore also concentrated on how I hold the stick. I use the middle finger as pivot point for finger work. And of course all the drummers I know use the index finger. . I never spent any thought on that but now I do think about relearning it...
So first of all, is there someone who also does this and secondly is there a disadvantage to it?

Best Regards
Phil

I think in general, it's whatever works best for you.

I started playing from my first finger, and only in the last 5 years or so has my grip naturally started to move back to the middle finger. It was very natural, and the only way I can tell is the slight callousing of the finger itself.

I encourage you to book a session with a local instructor, you don't even have to go more than a time or two, just have someone look at your grip and physically show you what's wrong, what's right, and what you can decide yourself.

always been a middle finger guy..... in more ways than one

use what's comfortable and practical my man

.... and of course that point will travel depending on what you are trying to execute

Last edited:
I studied with a Classical Percussionist from 1984-1986 where we worked elusively on hands (and mallets).

She had me shift my fulcrum to the middle finger and I've never looked back. Made everything easier.

I'm weird with my grips I always play german on my left hand pivot on my middle finger. With my right I play french on high hat, crash and toms, american for snare/blasts, and german on my ride. It moves the pivot of the stick back and forth from my index to my middle letting me get the same rebound out of the stick on the different surfaces. I know it's weird but it lets me play faster, more accurately, and doesn't burn out my right arm as fast.

I try to cover all kinds of grips to a certain extent. The more you know, the more you'll be able to do :) Nowadays I switch between grips/fulcrums/pivot points to my liking, whatever sounds and feels better in any situation. And I feel I'm more in control of the stick. I have only dropped 1, maybe 2 sticks last 6 months or so. I had been drinking a few beers and tried to twirl the stick while playing a fill and maintaining eye-contact with a girl.

Back